Author Topic: Elantris Paperback  (Read 8230 times)

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
Re: Elantris Paperback
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 02:44:22 AM »
The class voted on what book to use . . . but I think some of them were anonomously paid to stuff the ballot box.  The amount was something like, I dunno, $2.50.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 04:56:47 AM »
Yeah, um, what I said was a joke.  I suppose it didn't seem like one unless you had context.  

Yes, Brandon, did you hear that?  I'm making fun of you.  Mark the date.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »
I was kind of hoping to get EOUL in here crying his innocence and defending himself.  Does he check the boards about once a week now, or every other?

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 04:07:35 PM »
He's forgotten about us all.  I so called it.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 05:00:22 PM »
*Archon hands MsFish a cookie*
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2006, 08:20:37 PM »
Yeah, um, what I said was a joke.  I suppose it didn't seem like one unless you had context.

Yeah, I was sort of context-less on this one. Anyhoo, it's nice to know democracy was involved in the text picks. ;)

He's forgotten about us all.  I so called it.  

*shrain sends MsFish a box of Every Flavor Goldfish Crackers (an exciting new snack introduced by Bertie Botts)*
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 08:21:51 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 12:03:01 PM »
I've never had a professor assign a novel he or she had written (probably because none of them were novelists), but about half of them assigned some kind of textbook they'd written. It's very common.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2006, 12:50:27 PM »
Yeah, Fell, I know it's not unheard of or something. But I sure haven't had any of my profs do that, even though many of the profs I had were in fact published authors. And I've had a lot of school so far. (Just got my MA in American lit at BYU). So it's not like I haven't been around the academic block a few times. (Gee, I am so sick of school!) Anyway, at least where I've attended, I never had that experience. The prof I worked for over the course of four years has written almost ten books, most of which could easily be incorporated into her classes, but she chose not to. huh.

Anyway, from hearing my friends' experiences, it seems more likely for a prof to assign his own work to the class if it's a text book rather than a work of creative fiction, that's all. (shrug) Don't know why that is, though. Naturally, I can't prove it or anything. At any rate, I can't help thinking it would be kind of funny/weird to teach your own novel to a class, you know. Ah, if only all of us were even fortunate enough to -have- that option!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 12:54:04 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2006, 01:00:33 PM »
I agree, it would be very weird to teach you're own novel. At least he's doing it in a writing class rather than a literature class--maybe that's why so few literature teachers assign their own creative works.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Parker

• Level 12
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2006, 01:16:49 PM »
And for all the ribbing I give him, he did argue against his class over this idea.  But he had told them they could choose, and that's what they chose.  It isn't really like he assigned them his novel--they assigned themselves it.  Probably because they're a bunch of underclassmen fanbois--or fangirls, in this case.   ;)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2006, 03:27:03 PM »
I did argue against it, and suggested (then voted for) Erickson instead.  

However, I will admit that there is some validity to the choice.  If they know ELANTRIS, I can use a lot of examples from my own writing to explain my process for creating works.  It's a little embarassing to assign my own novel, but it probably will be very effective.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2006, 04:19:40 PM »
See, that's the first thing I thought of when i heard about the book assignment.  What better text to use than your own when you're explaining how to develop characters, or pace the plot or whatever.  You know exactly why you did what and it's gotta be easier explaining  how you did it than trying to explain how somebody else did it.  As long as it's not the ONLY text it seems like a brilliant move.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2006, 04:49:27 AM »
well geez - I wish I would have know about the "required reading" for your course before everyone went to Borders...I could have got a bunch in at Waldens for them.  We did get some in, but apparently after everyone already had it (this is Steve by the way).

On the topic of the paperback, if I managed to sell over 140 copies of the hardback to people in just the last 3 or 4 months, imagine what I'll do with the paperback once it's out!
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2006, 12:51:18 PM »
I'm glad EUOL is using Elantris. I told him he should over the summer--and he expressed the same concerns as above, in addition that he felt bad about "requiring" people to buy his book. Pfft. Professors do it all the time. And at least this is a good book. If the students are serious about writing good scifi/fan, then I doubt they'll regret the purchase or experience. And since it's in paperback, it's not even nearly as expensive as the huge $100 textbooks most professors require.

So I'm glad the class over-ruled him. It's a great book and a great tool to draw from to give specific examples of the things he teaches in the class. When we would discuss writing techniques, we often discussed what EUOL did in his own books. I found it helpful, and I think his class will as well.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2006, 04:50:54 PM »
Are you people telling me that there are professors that don't require student to buy the professor's book. If the students don't buy them, who would?

Now I may be ignorant about how it works in English and creative writing courses, but having over 300 college credits at  3 major universities and having taught college courses myself, I think EUOL can relax about assigning his own book to his students. If the students aren't use to buying the professor's book by now, they will be.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.