Author Topic: Warbreaker  (Read 5261 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2006, 05:36:00 PM »
I like light!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2006, 07:17:24 PM »
Wow, I still have 'Aether of Night" in my Brandon folder.

Well I didn't think Ch. 3 is a problem as far as being too light, except for the fact that Siri is coming across as ADD. I liked Siri a lot in Mythwalker, now she seems to have dropped about 20 IQ points.

I thought the setup seemed sufficiently dark, especially as I'm not sure I like how "Runelords" the magic system seems to have become. (sucking life force from other people)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 07:18:05 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2006, 07:22:06 PM »
I'll look at the ADD thing, Fuzzy--though, I think I dropped her in age a few years, and that has changed her personality in my mind.  What was your opinion of her in Ch2, as opposed to Ch3?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2006, 07:49:52 PM »
Well perhaps that's the problem then, though I didn't think of that. It makes sense that since Siri is the youngest of four, if Vivena is only 20, Siri must be what - 15 or 16 at the most?

In chapter 2, I wouldn't guess 16. I would guess closer to 14 probably. She doesn't seem to have any respect for anything, her father, her siblings, even her religion (which I don't blame her for, crazy Vulcan religion if you ask me).  I would feel better if there were one thing pointed out that she respected in her life. Like, just to throw something out, she's 14, so maybe she loves horses, right?  Maybe the calmness of being with a well-trained horse helps her center the emotions she can't control the rest of the time. She doesn't even seem to feel particularly bad for "flaunting" her emotions the way she does, or "drawing attention to herself" which is fine, but I feel like she ought to have one stable thing that she does conform to, or the rest is just meaningless.  Her "rebellions" aren't even particularly exciting, she just doesn't want to sit in the house staring at grey walls all day. (Again, don't blame her,) but she could be throwing eggs at the stableboys or pouring hot wax on the stairs.  

In chapter 3, I don't have any sense of how she's supposed to act because I don't know her at all... and yet I feel her reactions are off.   Does she have an unmentioned dead mother to miss? (Or did I miss her dead mother?)  What is she going to miss about home?  Who is she going to miss?  If she's 15, there's NO way she's likely to be ready to get married, (Unless they marry kids off younger, which is admittedly possible in the pastoral society, but none of her elder siblings is married yet), she should be terrified at being forced to grow up more than anything else, given her former behavior.  She brings up that Vivena was better educated, but how much was Siri educated? If she's 15, shouldn't she still be in some kind of schooling? (Even remedial religion, something like that, especially for her.)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 07:50:54 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan