Author Topic: Mistborn Signing  (Read 11166 times)

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn Signing
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2006, 02:15:53 AM »
Mistborn Event Recap:

well then, heres how it went:

awesome!!!!  There was a pretty long line!  Our store air conditioning broke yesterday...it was kinda hot inside.  Sorry about that eveyone!!!

Brandon sold quite a few novels (im not telling acutal numbers)!!  Apart from the copies of Mistborn, we also sold a fair number of Elantris hardback and paperpack.

I had numerous comparisons drawn between me and a drug dealer....

Brandon was fabulous!  He knows how to work the crowd and make everyone feel good about the story!!  He did a reading from Alcatraz which went over perfectly.  His Q&A was very good.  People actually asked a lot of good questions!!

Pictures:  I took a bunch...if you were there you saw me.  I will try to get them to someone so they can be posted...just tell me who to get them to.

It was good to put some faces with names - to all you, keep in touch!

I hope you all had a good time!  Brandon may be doing more events like this at the same store in the future, i'll keep you all informed!!

Steve
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2006, 11:17:40 AM »
Par-tay! Hope the signing party rocked. ... heh. (Thanks again, Nessa, for being my stand-in!) Sorry I had to miss out on it. :(  

The line was long. I waited for 1.5+ hours (despite my warning my husband, this very much annoyed him). There was a rumor that some people started showing up at 1pm when the signing wasn't until 5pm? Is this true?

I got interviewed by a chick from the Daily Herald while I was waiting in line. I express myself much better in writing than verbally so I hope I didn't make a complete idiot of myself. And if anyone gets the Herald, I would sure love a copy of the article.

It was fun to finally meet some TWGers. I wished I could have stayed to chat.

Shrain: Your books will be on their way Monday morning. I had a personal shopping day, too, so I got 25% off! That should make your wallet happy.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 11:23:00 AM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2006, 06:42:06 PM »
I just have to express sincere appreciation to everyone who came to the event.  

It warms my heart, really.  You all know me, and many of you see me fairly often.  You didn't need to come and wait in line to see me!  But, the fact that you did--and that it generated that much excitement from other people, and got so much attention for the book--was wonderful!  

I really worry about people driving all the way to see me and get a book, and not being able to spend much time talking to them.  These things are so busy!  I'm sorry if I didn't get to chat with anyone enough.  

Also, the Waldenbooks team was awesome.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Goradel

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2006, 07:31:41 PM »
I had a wonderful time yesterday and standing in line was worth it.
Thanks EUOL and Waldens.
I'm famous

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2006, 07:59:06 PM »
Sounds like a lot of fun!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2006, 08:08:11 PM »
Liars, I can assuredly inform everyone that there is nothing fun about waiting in line to see EUOL.  It's like waiting in line at the DMV but without getting a spiffy license.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2006, 09:20:40 PM »
heehee. You mean EUOL made his own brother wait in line? No wonder you're bitter. ;)

Sounds like the whole affair was a success, despite the lack of a/c. Yay!

The line was long. I waited for 1.5+ hours (despite my warning my husband, this very much annoyed him). There was a rumor that some people started showing up at 1pm when the signing wasn't until 5pm? Is this true?

Holy wait, Batman! :o Congrats, EUOL! That's such a great sign... Although, now I am terribly, terribly curious to know how many copies of Mistborn were snatched up, not to mention copies of Elantris. (poke-->EUOL)

Shrain: Your books will be on their way Monday morning. I had a personal shopping day, too, so I got 25% off! That should make your wallet happy.

whoo hoo!! You're wonderful, Nessa. If you didn't happen to put a "bill" inside, just let me know how much I owe you, okay? I can't wait to read the final version.  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 02:03:01 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2006, 11:14:32 PM »
No, I didn't go, hence the "not fun" statment.  I knew a head of time about this.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2006, 12:16:00 AM »
Oops, wait! Shrain, I need your address. Email me.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2006, 12:39:12 AM »
Oh, and one of my students (a wonderful young woman who has taken my class twice, and is a fine writer in her own right) arrived at 11:00 am to wait in line.  She was first.  A lot showed up around 2:00.  By 4:00, there were already some thirty people in line.

Very humbling.  

Miriel

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2006, 02:37:20 AM »
Slightly off-topic...but are you still teaching classes?  I'm a BYU student, and so I've looked, but been unable to find any.

Gralin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2006, 05:18:15 AM »
Just thought I'd throw this out there... I was at the book signing yesterday and was impressed by the number of people who showed up.  I managed to be in the first ten in line, and it was worth the wait.

FYI on the reporter girl... I hope the article turns out, since she was pretty clueless.  She didn't even know the titles of either Elantris or Mistborn when she spoke with me, and all we managed to do between me and the guy next to me was confuse her.  I hope someone else clarified for her!

Now it's time to get honest... I was a little apprehensive about what I'd be getting.  I received Elantris as a present, and although I enjoyed it, I had my complaints (don't take this wrong - I may just be picky!).  But I decided to give Mistborn a chance, and was pleasantly surprised.

I hadn't planned on even starting reading it yet, but... by 5:00 this afternoon I turned the last page.  Wow!  Definitely worth waiting in line!  I believe this is a much more polished novel than Elantris (I'm not putting down Elantris, rather I'm praising heartily Mistborn).  The characters are more real, more fleshed out.  The level of detail is outstanding.  The premise is definitely unique, and well thought out as well as presented.

Be proud of yourself; I see a bright future for this trilogy, given such a good start.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2006, 01:04:11 PM »
To clarify some line issues: I got there at 4:10 and was about 14th in line (and got book #31 for E). The girl who got in line right behind me said that she had arrived at 3:30 and there was no line, so she went shopping for a while rather than start one. That directly contradicts what EUOL's former student said about getting there at 11:00, so take it with a grain of salt.

And Steve: please send photos to E, he's our usual photo hoster.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2006, 01:10:03 PM »
Fell,

Marianne (one of my students) said she got there at 11:00.  She was the first one in line.  Another woman soon after her said she'd been waiting from 2:00 on.  I wasn't there, obviously, but those two DID say such things.  (And the manager mentioned Marrianne's arrival, though he placed it at around 10:00.)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2006, 01:32:14 PM »
hrm. Looks like we need to get a detective on this right away!

Oh, and Nessa... Sorry, I thought I'd already sent my addy. You should have it now. :)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT