Author Topic: Mistborn Signing  (Read 11295 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Mistborn Signing
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 03:22:15 PM »
How many are you going to number this time? 50 again?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 03:28:46 PM »

Signing info:

Mistborn National Release July 22nd @ 5pm-Brandon's hand cramping up.  Brandon will be doing a reading, a Q&A, a special numbering of the signed books for this release.  Reservation list closes July 8th.

Any q's?

Hey, Guitarbabe Diamante, where do you work again? And what time will this hand-cramping shindig start? I've managed to corral dear Jena into promising to drop by and get my copies signed. ;D It won't be released by the time I visit on July 4th and I won't be back home until Dec.

Hmm. I was going to buy them on Amazon and ship them to her, but maybe I ought to have you put me down on your store's reservation list?? Can I pay ahead of time with a CC or do you have to pay that night?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 03:56:48 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 03:46:49 PM »
Not Guitar Babe--it's Diamante. Same pic, but different people.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 03:56:19 PM »
heh. D'oh! Dumb me.... No wonder I was confused. I didn't think she worked at a book store.

/me whacks herself in the forehead
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 04:09:40 PM »
It's at the Waldenbooks in the Town Center.

And what's this about a reservation list?  Umm...since when is EUOL important enough to require people to get his approval weeks in advance for him to sign a book?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 04:18:17 PM »
no worries shrain

I work at the Waldenbooks in the Provo Town Center Mall - the #1 ranked Waldens in the company I might add!  8)

As far as paying for the book, the company doesn't accept payment in advance on books.  I was told it was a legal issue with street-dates and stuff, but I could be wrong.  Depending on what Tor says, we may be only allowed to sell the book once Brandon gets there, and not before - hopefully this will not be the case.

The event starts at 5pm on July 22nd.  If you want to be put on the reserve list to have your boyfriend, girlfriend, parent, family member, dog, cat, iguana, or friend pick it up for you to get signed by Brandon please send me your name and phone # and the qty of books you want reserved.  I tell you to send it to me because I dont think people should put that kind of info on a forum.  

Anyone else who is local can also send me their info and I will sign you up on the reserve list as well.

We have reserved over 70 copies I believe, and the reserve list closes on July 8th.

Please send emails to the address listed on my profile.  I will reply to your email confirming that I have reserved a copy in your name.

You can talk to me at work anytime, my name is Steve.  C'mon in any time and i'll help you to the best of my abilities.  Most people seem to like my recommendations.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 04:38:08 PM »
  Sprig - since this is an advanced release of Mistborn, we are doing reservations.  It has several purposes.  Mainly, we want to order from Tor only the copies needed.  By having a reserve list, be can be more accurate in that ordering process.  
 If we order too few, fans get mad at us, and more unfortunatly get mad at Brandon sometimes.  
 If we order too many, then we have a huge backstock to sell, and have to dig ourselves out of a hole.  
 It also gives us an idea of how many people to expect that evening.  There are other people coming that night to help promote the event, and they need as much info. as possible.
 From a marketing standpoint, a reservation list builds awareness and excitement.  The more excited people are, the more likely they are to tell their friends about it - thus generating even more awareness and excitement.
 Apart from that, Brandon is a local favorite.  Just so people understand, Elantris outsold the new books from guys like Martin, Jordan, Hobb, Goodkind (easily), Pratchett, Scott Card, etc.  I am glad he has been nominated for the Campbell, because Elantris could have sold even more copies if people in bookstores did their jobs.  Barnes and Noble names Elantris the best new SF/Fantasy of the year, and they have maybe 2 copies in their stores.  Borders was excited when they sold 5 of his books at a nook signing (that was sucessful to them).  Elantris could have sold double what it did.  So, Mistborn - with more press, and more readers - should sell a TON more.  I want to make sure it does at my store.

That's why there is a reserve list, and that's why he deserves the attention.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 05:13:59 PM »
Sweet. Thanks for the details. I'll email you. Oh, and I'll have to drop by when I am in town (July 1-5).

I agree that Mistborn should be able to beat sales records for Elantris. As great as Elantris was, I think Mistborn outshines it. Plus, EUOL's name is out there now. It's rather cool that Elantris outsold new books from those high profile authors. So with help from knowledgable booksellers like yourself, it'll be very exciting to see how the book does.

I just wish I could be at the signing mysefl! *sigh* My pet dragon--er, friend--will just have to stand in for me.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 05:14:33 PM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2006, 07:56:24 PM »
Fell,

Yes, 50 is what I'll probably number.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2006, 08:11:38 PM »
I think I'll wait until EUOL has written his six hundred sixty-sixth book and get the six hundred sixty-sixth copy signed. Since we all know he's going to end up having written more than Robert Jordan, Tolkien, and most of the other fantasy writers of our time. =P
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2006, 08:19:09 PM »
lol.  

You may want to note, I've finally updated my book tour schedule on the website, as well as pasted a new intro blurb on the front page talking about the Waldenbooks signing.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2006, 08:06:33 PM »
Hey, EUOL, when were you going to put up the cover art for Mistborn on the home page of BS.com? I was just thinking it was odd not to see it up there.
--Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2006, 08:11:43 PM »
Well, the Elantris paperback did just barely come out...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2006, 08:25:00 PM »
Hey, EUOL, when were you going to put up the cover art for Mistborn on the home page of BS.com? I was just thinking it was odd not to see it up there.

Today if I get to it, we were just talking about this yesterday.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2006, 10:04:42 AM »
Shiny. That'll be great to see it showcased up front and center.
--Spriggan