Author Topic: *spoiler* Mistborn Magic Clarification  (Read 8893 times)

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
*spoiler* Mistborn Magic Clarification
« on: July 31, 2006, 05:57:51 PM »
Hello Euol, I have a few questions regarding the metals in Mistborn. Are gold and atium considered pushing or pulling metals (if you ever mentioned it, I missed it)? For feruchomy, I get the impression that certain metals can store certain attributes, but it is never spoken of in detail. Could a feruchomist store memories in any metal, or just metal of a certain type? Which metals go to which attributes?

Back to allomancy, which metals last the longest (I known tin is up there), and which the shortest (I know pewter runs out quickly)? Is there a specific order of duration? How rare are the allomantic metals in The Final Empire? Is it possible to be a misting for gold, or atium, or some unknown metals that aren't in the core eight?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 06:33:19 PM by GorgontheWonderCow »
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Mistborn clarification
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 06:20:01 PM »
Gorgon,

Gold and atium are special, and I can't answer without spoilers about the plot.  If you want, I'll go into detail--but before I do that, edit the title of the thread and add a *Spoilers* to it.  

Feruchemy will be discussed at length in book two.  However, I can tell you that yes, certain metals (analogous to the Allomantic metals) store certain attributes.  For instance, Sazed stores memories in what he calls a "coppermind," while he stores his eyesight in a "tinmind."  Again, I can't give more information with spoilers--but I will if you want me to.

The longest lasting of the Allomantic metals is actually copper, which is used by Smokers to hide Allomancy.  Tin is second, however.  Steel and Iron are actually rather quick, but since they're generally used in bursts, it's hard to notice.  Both brass and zinc are medium, as is bronze.  Pewter burns the fastest of the basic eight, though atium and gold both burn faster than it does.  

In my mind, it's related to how much 'work' the metal has to do.  That's why pewter, steel, and iron burn so quickly.  A lot of weight and power is getting thrown around, while copper only has to do something simple.  However, I never really set any of these things hard-fast.

And, only atium is really all that rare.  Because of the value of the metals, the noble houses expended a lot of resources finding and exploiting mines to produce the metals.  This resulted in a slightly higher value for most of them as opposed to our world, but not really noticeably so, because Allomancers really don't need that much metal.  Even fast burning metals, like pewter, are generally only swallowed in very small amounts.  (i.e. A small bit goes a long way.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
Re: *spoiler* Mistborn Magic Clarification
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 06:36:05 PM »
Thanks, any more clarification you could give me without completely ruining the plot of any of the sequels would be appreciated, but I'll trust you to be the judge of what is and what is not a spoiler to your following books. I would, if you could get it out without ruining anything major, like perhaps a basic explanation of feruchomy's metals.

Thanks again.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 07:07:03 PM »
I'm still interested as to how Hemalurgy fits in. I have an idea or two, but I'm not really sure.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 08:27:44 PM »
Gorgon,

No problem.  The following chart will be in the back of book two, so it's safe for anyone who has finished book one.

As you can see, there is a wide variety of things that can be done with Feruchemy.  And, as to Pushing and Pulling metals...well, there is a Pushing metal and a Pulling metal with each pair.  So, Atium and gold are both Pushing metals, while their alloys are each Pulling metals.  

Also, I just noticed that the chart in the back of the first book is wrong with zinc and brass.

demented_yam

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 09:02:23 PM »
i can't wait to see electrum and malatium in action.  ;D

oh, and i hope you take the 'p' out of 'warmth' before it goes off to print  :P

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 09:34:08 PM »
lol.  If that weren't a jpg, I'd go change it now.  (I had to post a jpg because I didn't want to try making tables in the bbs format.)  However, I did change it in the text version that is in the file.  Thanks.

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 10:12:15 PM »
Is there a chance you would let us know what metal Vin was forced to burn that removed all of her current metal reserves?

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 12:57:10 AM »
O-ho! Thanks for the clarification! I've been wondering how feruchemy allowed him to adjust his age. That might explain where the missing atium went.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 01:02:26 AM by Old_One »

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 01:48:12 AM »
Neiana,

That would be aluminum.  Its alloy will be discovered--and put to great use--in book two.  

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 02:29:19 AM »
Thanks, I appreciate it.  :)

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 02:53:31 AM »
So, when a Feruchomist stores memory, does that mean that he or she can't remember anything while storing the memories, or can't make new memories? Or is it an exception to the rule of you need to decrease your ability to increase your ability?
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 12:59:29 PM »
Gorgon,

You stick the memory in and cannot remember it any more.  It works the same way as strength or other attributes.  When you fill the pewtermind, you give up some of your strength for a short time.  When you fill a coppermind, you give up certain memories.  Not your ability to memorize other things, but those specific memories are gone until you retrieve them.  The thing you gain is that anything stuck in a coppermind doesn't degrade like memories do inside of your head.  

demented_yam

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 01:43:26 AM »
like storing a word document on a floppy disc rather than on the hard drive.

once the floppy is removed, the computer is unable to read the file. (so once you take the rings off, you can't remember those things)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 11:03:50 AM »
A good analogy but not quite spot on since Feruchemists don't remember *everything* in the metalminds when they're wearing them. They have to access a memory and then put it back quickly so it doesn't degrade.

To revise your analogy a bit, though, a disk can be in the drive without having any of the documents open. However, zip disks (not to even mention old floppies!) are notorious for the loss of data integrity. The info stored in metalminds won't degrade, as Brandon mentioned above.

I have to say, that would be the coolest study aid ever! No more index cards! Although... cheating would be the norm in the sense that you won't really have *learned* anything, which means of course, that you'd be filthy rich, EUOL, if you could pull that off. ;D
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT