Author Topic: So There is Going to be a Mistborn Flick....  (Read 12971 times)

ryos

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Re: So There is Going to be a Mistborn Flick....
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2010, 10:26:24 PM »
I'd say the better a book is, the harder it is to match fans' expectations with a movie. A great book is far longer, more detailed, and more complex than any movie can be, so trying to adapt one into a movie results in an abbreviated and altered pale reflection of the source material. It may be a great movie in its own right…but a lot of fans of the book don't see that. They just see how the script writers had to butcher the book to get there.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Batchman

• Level 4
  • Can I get you some water?
    • View Profile
    • Official Gordon Korman Web Site
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2010, 11:43:15 PM »
Yes, what if they make Mistborn into a 30 night mini-series?

Then they could do justice to it.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2010, 11:49:14 PM »
I would prefer a 5 (1hr each) part series on sci-fi (production value of that of Tin Man or Alice not OMG THE BEASTZ ARE AFTER MEZ movies) for each book. Make it long and correctly done. 2 hours is not enough. :)
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2010, 11:50:17 PM »
But if I had to choose (which I think is sort of pointless, because there would probably be lesser known actors), Nathan Fillion for Kelsier, Summer Glau for Vin.

I could DEFINITELY see Summer as Vin, she has the right stature and looks young enough to play Vin without being a horrible (which most of the time comes with younger actors).

I can see Nathan playing Kelsier, he has the right personality.. lighthearted and fun but serious when it calls for it.

Good picks Chaos, and might I add.. I do believe you are a little bit of a fellow Firefly geek.  :D

It may be that this week, for the first time, I am watching Firefly and enjoying the heck out of it. Others on the original Mistborn movie topic, where they talked about casting, there was some Nathan Fillion talk, and both here in this topic and on that one, Summer Glau was talked about too. Now I can see the logic there. :)
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2010, 04:41:05 PM »
I was on Joe Haldeman's forum recent(he is a GREAT Sci-fi writer) and he posted that he hopes Ridley Scott(he made gladiator and the first alien movie) will move forward with making The Forever War after seeing how great avatar was.

You forgot Blade Runner!  Dude, that's like... his best!
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2010, 07:03:12 AM »
I'd say the better a book is, the harder it is to match fans' expectations with a movie. A great book is far longer, more detailed, and more complex than any movie can be, so trying to adapt one into a movie results in an abbreviated and altered pale reflection of the source material. It may be a great movie in its own right…but a lot of fans of the book don't see that. They just see how the script writers had to butcher the book to get there.

So true. If this ever gets made, and even if it really is an amazing movie, some part of me will inevitably be let down. I'm too emotionally attached to the book and the characters the way they are to be completely satisfied.
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2010, 10:04:06 PM »

This.

I don't know how many times I've seen fans complain about the movie of the book.  Sometimes I think they've got a point, but often they have a list of things that were left out which ruin it completely---and every fan has a different list, all of which I personally disagree with.

My opinion is that when you make a movie out of a book, make it a movie.  That is, use the visual medium to the best possible extent and allow that extra richness to reflect (but not copy) the story in the book in the way only a movie can.  Movies can have strengths books only dream about.  This upsets the more devoted fans, but generally has much broader appeal.
Nature hates being reified.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2010, 10:49:41 PM »
If the option gets made into a movie, you know what I'll do? I simply won't read the book anytime near its launch date, so I could have the freshest opinion as possible.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2010, 11:12:11 PM »
If the option gets made into a movie, you know what I'll do? I simply won't read the book anytime near its launch date, so I could have the freshest opinion as possible.

Good idea.

I know that this has worked for me and the Harry Potter movies!
Nature hates being reified.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2010, 11:47:20 PM »
Yup, that was the example I would have used.

Of course, I know Mistborn far, far better than Harry Potter, so this may not work as effectively.

gambler

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2010, 09:49:32 PM »
A couple of random thoughts about any attempt to make this series into a movie:

What about Amy Acker as Vin?  Same 'pedigree' as Summer but I think she has more range, at least that she's demonstrated on screen...  I agree with some folks that Summer would probably work great for Vin in Book 1, but Acker feels like she could pull off the more serious stuff in Books 2 and 3 a bit better.  If we go outside the Joss Whedon group for Vin, I'd be tempted to suggest Mia Kirshner.

It's all fun to speculate but I think if Mistborn ever got made into movies, there would have to be some fairly serious deviations from the books in two parts:

1. The parallel 'stories' at the start of each chapter.  I have a hard time seeing how these could be included in any fashion.  This takes a great deal of the uniqueness out of the books if they can't be included.  Additionally, they're almost necessary to make "The Well of Ascension" work because of Ruin's ability to change the text.  And of course, the log of Rashek is key in the first book.  There will have to be a way to get the same information across without a long period of a character just reading the log/prohpecies in one chunk.

2. A LOT goes on in the minds of the characters.  How do you include the 'visitations' by Kelsier, Reen, 'God' to the appropriate characters correctly?  How do you portray Sazed's struggle with religions that's so fundamental to the third book?  How do you portray Vin and Elend's struggles to define themselves?  These are all things that are at least as important, if not more so, than the dialogue and action that would be much more easily translated.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2010, 09:41:51 AM »
Summer Glau would rock, but I think Amy Acker might be too old to play late-teens to early-twenties Vin.

I think Alan Tudyk could make a good Kelsier or maybe Ham.  (you may not realize it but that guy is RIPPED) Or maybe Ben Browder as Ham.

One thing I'd like to see is how they portray Vin's memories of Reen.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2010, 06:32:06 PM »

One thing I'd like to see is how they portray Vin's memories of Reen.

I vote for a faded ghost like figure of Reen walking through the scene communicating whatever he communicates while Vin is trying to focus on the task at hand. Kinda like Obi-Wan's voice overs with a little more tangible reality (if you can call a ghost like figure tangible or reality)
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2010, 05:25:39 AM »
Well, what I had in mind was that when the memories popped up we might have kind of a flash of a shot of Reen standing over Vin or something like that to imply the traumatic experiences she's obviously had.  But yeah, the voiceover thing would actually say the line, that's kind of a no-brainer.  I was kind of thinking of how it would be presented.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?