Author Topic: Mistborn Out!  (Read 10663 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Mistborn Out!
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2006, 01:47:52 PM »
     Fortunately, Kelsier didn’t need to test Tekiel’s defenses this night.  Instead, he crept along the wall toward the outer grounds.  He paused near the garden well, and--burning bronze to make certain no Allomancers were near--reached into a stand of bushes to retrieve a large sack.  It was heavy enough that he had to burn pewter to pull it free and throw it over his shoulder.  He paused in the night for a moment, straining for sounds in the mist, then hauled the sack back toward the keep.  
     He stopped near a large, whitewashed garden veranda that sat beside a small reflecting pool.  Then, he heaved the sack off his shoulder and dumped its contents--a freshly-killed corpse--onto the ground.  
     The body--which had belonged to one Lord Charrs Entrone--rolled to a stop with its face in the dirt, twin dagger wounds glistening in its back.  Kelsier had ambushed the half-drunken man on a street just outside of a skaa slum, ridding the world of another nobleman.  Lord Entrone, in particular, would not be missed--he was infamous for his twisted sense of pleasure.  Skaa bloodfights, for instance, were a particular enjoyment of his.  That was where he had spent this evening.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2006, 02:01:25 PM »
Maybe one of these days I'll be cool enough to be a random dead NPC in one of brandon's books.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

RedAragorn

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • mmmmm...chicken
    • View Profile
    • Wandering Words
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2006, 02:05:38 PM »
Ahhh...y'know, I just glossed right over that cameo in my reading.  I guess I should let the names sink in a little better going forward.  I'm just barely into the Captain Demoux section.  I must say that he definitely gets a pretty cush cameo!  Not that I'm hoping for such, although something better than the "body in the street" or "tossed to flesh-eating monster" variety would be quite welcome.   ;)

RedAragorn

• Level 3
  • mmmmm...chicken
    • View Profile
    • Wandering Words
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2006, 02:07:03 PM »
And Sprig, you'd sure get a cameo in *my* book, after that outfit at the reception.  Not that I'm ever writing one...

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2006, 02:08:02 PM »
Maybe one of these days I'll be cool enough to be a random dead NPC in one of brandon's books.

Then you could officially wear this shirt as a conversation piece while picking up geek chicks.
:)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2006, 02:38:08 PM »
Haha, that's an awesome shirt.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2006, 03:31:41 PM »
Fortunately, Kelsier didn’t need to test Tekiel’s defenses this night.  Instead, he crept along the wall toward the outer grounds.  He paused near the garden well, and--burning bronze to make certain no Allomancers were near--reached into a stand of bushes to retrieve a large sack.  It was heavy enough that he had to burn pewter to pull it free and throw it over his shoulder.  He paused in the night for a moment, straining for sounds in the mist, then hauled the sack back toward the keep.  
He stopped near a large, whitewashed garden veranda that sat beside a small reflecting pool.  Then, he heaved the sack off his shoulder and dumped its contents--a freshly-killed corpse--onto the ground.  
The body--which had belonged to one Lord Charrs Entrone--rolled to a stop with its face in the dirt, twin dagger wounds glistening in its back.  Kelsier had ambushed the half-drunken man on a street just outside of a skaa slum, ridding the world of another nobleman.  Lord Entrone, in particular, would not be missed--he was infamous for his twisted sense of pleasure.  Skaa bloodfights, for instance, were a particular enjoyment of his.  That was where he had spent this evening.

Holy wow, I had just read that and I didn't even notice that it roughly comes out as Charlie Entropy. No wonder I'm not very good at looking for things out of the ordinary (unless I'm sniping in video games). Thats like uber cool; kill Sprigg next.    
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2006, 04:42:11 PM »
I die in everyone one of his books, he just doesn't write about it.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2006, 04:51:58 PM »
Sounds like he's manifesting his fantasy about getting revenge on you for all those times when you were kids. I would be worried about that if I were you.

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2006, 05:15:34 PM »
Scalzi wrote today on his blog about "Various Bits of Bookpimpery" where he pimps up a bunch of books and then allows readers to hype up other books in the comments.

One reader wrote:

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson came out last Tuesday. I read a galley of it, and thought it was great. In fact, I didn't really believe it could be that great, so I started it again. After I finishing it twice in a week (something I have not done since my original reading of Enders Game)I can say this is an incredible new author and a great first book of a series. It's great because I finished it (twice) without realizing it was a series until I saw bk 2 and 3 advertised on his web-site.

That's some good pimpering right there!

Pemberley

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2006, 05:57:39 PM »
I did mail my copy to Brandon with return postage.  I hope it gets to him soon.

He did receive the book.  As soon as I can convince him to stop writing and sign it, I'll mail it back to you!

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2006, 08:42:41 PM »
I get a warm, fuzzy feeling knowing that my name will be read by all your fans.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 10:24:14 PM by Tekiel »
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2006, 09:19:00 PM »
Welcome, Pem!  ;D
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2006, 09:28:11 PM »
I get a warm, fuzzy feeling knowing that my name will be read by all your fans . . . even if I'm one of the first houses to fall.   :)

Things like this should really be talked about on the spoilers thread; given that for the time being I only have access to the book when I walk to B&N.

And I also want to welcome Pem.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 09:29:47 PM by OneEyedGreenPerson »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2006, 09:25:09 AM »
see, I get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that something very close to my *real* name will be read by all his fans.

AND I'm not murdered off stage.