Author Topic: Mistborn Out!  (Read 10807 times)

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
Re: Mistborn Out!
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2006, 08:56:13 PM »
I agree with Sprig.  The red foil adds something good to the cover that the scans just didn't have.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2006, 09:44:38 PM »
It's not the fact of the foil, but the color of the red is too orangey.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2006, 09:46:37 PM »
I like the orange, it causes the yellow to stick out more and so you end up with some nice highlights.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2006, 02:55:14 PM »
Well I finally ordered Entropy's and Mine, there aren't any other international people that need one are there?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2006, 05:46:06 PM »
I wasn't sure about the cover when I saw the scans, but I really dig it in person. I especially like the color scheme, so I find it interesting that some people hate it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2006, 07:56:33 PM »
My wife told me that she thought the cover was weird. I haven't made any decisions about liking the cover (and probably never will). I don't really judge a book by its cover.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Goradel

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2006, 01:07:49 PM »
When I go to find a book at BN I look for the books with cool covers.  This cover is so different that people are going to pick it up just to find out more.  I also agree with Sprig and fellfrosch on the color.  I love it!
I'm famous

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2006, 01:48:50 PM »
I haven't made any decisions about liking the cover (and probably never will). I don't really judge a book by its cover.

I don't think I tended to as much until I married the my husband the art guru. He'd probably arrange my books by color coordination if I let him.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 01:48:58 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2006, 02:12:01 PM »

I am eerily reminded of when we all found out you assigned Elantris for your class and Ent made the quip about Sprigg standing behind you with a knife and saying "Elantris or eviceration". That wouldn't happen to be related in any way would it?

*snickers* One of my finer moments. And i'd forgotten about having a cameo in this book - that's probably the most awesome cameo ever. 'Dead man - Entropy'.

/me does the dead man dance
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2006, 02:38:33 PM »
it's a dead man's party, who could ask for more?
It's a dead man's party, leave your body at the door.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2006, 07:04:48 PM »
I beleive it's "everybody's comin', leave your body at the door."
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2006, 10:00:04 PM »
Anyhow, today I am gleeful because my two copies came--complete with a bag of microwave popcorn. (Nessa, you are too wonderful!) Yay!!

EUOL, it's awesome to see how the design came out. Oh, and that's quite some scrawl your signature has devolved into. ;) I must say, the maps are classy. Sleek even. As for the other innards of the book, I love the typeface, display fonts, section page art (very interesting symbols), the Allomancy chart and glossary in the back. I even like the cover more than I did when I first saw it posted in the forum (though the "foil"/ comb-like lines across the top and bottom still seem off to me). It feels awesome to see my name among all the others who helped out, too. Anyway, I can't wait to read it again and see how it's changed in the final polish. :D

EUOL: P.S. I noticed that my copy is numbered, though it wasn't one of the first 50. Cool. 8) But... is that because of the flyer that Walden Books had posted? I stopped by, actually, back on July 4th weekend when I was in UT. The flyer indicated that *anyone* who ordered a copy and showed up would get a numbered copy. I thought, "Uh oh, there's going to be some disappointed people...."

So I mentioned how you were only planning to number the first 50. The clerk gave me this ... look and said, "Well, when someone reserves a copy, we make sure to tell them that." heh. I'm guessing *that* didn't quite work, eh? The fans won out! Not that I'm complaining, of course. ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 10:02:32 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2006, 11:46:54 PM »
I did mail my copy to Brandon with return postage.  I hope it gets to him soon.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2006, 12:22:56 AM »
Shrain,

Yes, the book turned out amazingly. The maps and symbols were done by Isaac, aka CtlZed on the TWG boards.  

And, you figured it out.  Walden promised numbered copies to those who came, so I went up to 100 on this particular run.  I may have to revise my "First fifty" rule into a "first signing" rule.  Don't know.  We'll worry about that next year.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2006, 03:09:42 AM »

*snickers* One of my finer moments. And i'd forgotten about having a cameo in this book - that's probably the most awesome cameo ever. 'Dead man - Entropy'.

/me does the dead man dance

So, where exactly does the cameo happen? I've read to chapter 20 at B&N (I'm holding out to actually buy it until the Aug 12 booksigning), and I'm afraid I may have missed it, unless it was when Dox got rid of the men that were tailing Vin and Camoan (I think thats how you spell it). Other than that I'm lost.

Also I'd like to say that I think that the cover looks awesome, orange bars and all.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 03:10:38 AM by OneEyedGreenPerson »
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.