Author Topic: Official Worldcon 2006 Thread  (Read 45421 times)

Rosencrantz

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Just ramblin' on....
    • View Profile
Re: Official Worldcon 2006 Thread
« Reply #300 on: August 15, 2006, 12:39:14 AM »
So I'll be wandering my way out to Salt Lake on Sunday and then down to Provo on Tuesday and I was wondering, what's the deal with our departure point?  Are we meeting at someone's house or something?  And at what time on wednesday?  (Wednesday is the first day I can move into my apartment and I need to figure out if I will have an hour or two in the morning to move a couple boxes in)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #301 on: August 15, 2006, 01:21:34 PM »
I don't know who you are, John, but if you are coming and driving that would be a great help. We can definitely get you into one of our rooms.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #302 on: August 15, 2006, 01:23:00 PM »
I can vouch for him.  Good guy; often comes to LTUE and Conduit.  
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 01:23:16 PM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

John Brown

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 15, 2006, 02:02:01 PM »
I don't have a place to stay yet.  I don't even have a membership yet, so I'm trying to figure everything out.

Tell me this: when is everyone I'd be traveling with expecting to leave and come back?

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 15, 2006, 02:21:45 PM »
The caravan leaves Wednesday morning and comes back Sunday.  Eric's car will be driving separately--at least on the way out--as he is going to leave after work on Wednesday and come back Sunday.

John Brown

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 16, 2006, 03:20:14 AM »
Okay. This all sounds very good.

I know I promised to confirm today. But we've had an unfortunate development. We're building our home (up at the south end of Bear Lake). All our subs locked in to finish Friday. Meeting that date would allow me to go. Well, we got a call this afternoon that doesn't bode well.

I'm trying to work it out. Tomorrow by noon I'll know for sure if this is going to work and post my confirmation. So I'm still tentative. I hope this hasn't caused problems. Give me 12 hours.  
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 03:21:53 AM by John_Brown »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #306 on: August 16, 2006, 12:11:10 PM »
Hey John, is the home being built in Laketown?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

John Brown

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 16, 2006, 01:01:20 PM »
Folks, it appears my window of opportunity opened ... and then closed again <sigh>. I so very much wanted to go this year (needed to). I'm so sorry if I created more problems by providing a possible solution to your travel issues and thereby caused you to miss others that now might not be available. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Fellfrosch, yes, Laketown is the spot. Do you know the area?

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 16, 2006, 01:47:26 PM »
John,

Don't feel bad at all!  A chance of having our problems solved was certainly worth it.  I don't know if it could have anything to do with your decision, but I'd be willing to get you into the Hugo ceremony pre-party (I can bring a guest) and into the Tor party (where I can bring a guest) as well as give you firm introductions to my editor and my agent.  With the number of people going to worldcon this year--and with next year being in Japan--there should be some really nice opportunities in LA.  I think I could make it worth any inconvenience.

However, assuming that he can't go, we have to consider my earlier questions.

1)  Is there anyone who would want to come home on Saturday?
2)  Toad, who is Blackdove, and does he already have a ticket?
3)  Eric, having you rent a car is all fine and good (particularly if we all chip in a few bucks to pay for it.)  However, I don't think Toad would be able to drive it.  Wouldn't we have to pay a lot more if we stuck an 18 year old on the driver list?  So, if we do rent one, it means sending back someone else with them as the driver.  

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #309 on: August 16, 2006, 01:59:03 PM »
Well, I'm sure we can find someone over 25.  If necessary, someone else can drive my car while I drive the rental.
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 16, 2006, 02:17:11 PM »
Agreed.  At sixty bucks, with Toad and friend chipping in a good portion, I'm sure we can make this work as a backup.  

blcdrayco

• Level 4
  • Oops. &nbsp;Well, who needs Asia anyways, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 16, 2006, 02:29:50 PM »
EUOL-
1./2.-  If he has to, blackdove has a ride with his family (apparently his mother thinks the rest of the family would enjoy disney land).  He was planning to obtain a ticket at the door, so if he goes with his family, then it wont be a problem.  The only drawback is that he would only be ably to attend Thurs-Fri-Sat instead of Wed evening onward.
3.  If it means being able to leave sunday evening, I will happily pay the 60 for the rental plus my share of gas.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 02:33:18 PM by blcdrayco »
It does not matter if you are the emperor of man- If your wife is angry, you sleep on the couch.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 16, 2006, 02:50:54 PM »
Blkdraco,

Wednesday night is usually the least important of the nights.  So, if Blackdove were to miss one, that would be the night to miss.  Honestly, there's rarely much going on.  

Saturday, however, is a big deal.  Usually has the Hugo awards.  So, if I were you, I'd not want to miss it.  If you're willing to foot the bill for the car, then that's great.  Though, I still think that some of the others of us should chip in--particularly those who aren't themselves driving.  

So, the rental seems the best choice.  You ride down with Old One, then drive back up in the rental.  (Though, there is usually a rides board and the like up at one of these things, and so I can look and see if there are any other Utah people I know who have driven down.)  

Though, as I think about it, Blackdove could always catch a ride down with Old one, then back with his family (if they stick around Saturday night.)  One reason I mention this is that sometimes these things sell out, and so he will want to be there Wednesday if possible so that he can be sure to get a ticket.

blcdrayco

• Level 4
  • Oops. &nbsp;Well, who needs Asia anyways, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 16, 2006, 04:19:58 PM »
Blackdove requested that he ride to worldcon with his family and back in the rental if possible. (He's flexible for whatever though.)
I'll get his ticket wensday evening.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 04:20:18 PM by blcdrayco »
It does not matter if you are the emperor of man- If your wife is angry, you sleep on the couch.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #314 on: August 16, 2006, 07:25:47 PM »
My grandmother's family comes from Laketown (the Kearls). I used to go their all the time, but it's been a while. I love the area, though, it's absolutely gorgeous.