Author Topic: The Hugos, 2006  (Read 7693 times)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
The Hugos, 2006
« on: August 27, 2006, 09:12:43 PM »
Well, for those of us who didn't get to fly out to LA for the con (*sigh*), I thought I would post the results of this year's Hugo Awards ceremony. This seemed like the place to put it since the WorldCon thread's here and we've been rooting for one of our own.

Speaking of which... Sorry you didn't get the Campbell, EUOL. :-/ But, hey, there's still next year!

Looks like Serenity made off with the award for best movie--er, "Dramatic Presentation: Long Form." Hooray! And I'm sure Jeffe's pleased with the winner for the Short Form. Say, I wonder who accepted the award for Serenity... Well, when all the con people get back, maybe we'll get the inside scoop on the whole thing. Hope everyone has a safe trip back!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Linternet

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: The Hugos, 2006
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 11:05:29 PM »
I was really pulling for George RR Martin in the Novel category.  Sorry to see he didn't win.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 01:41:13 AM »
I saw the breakdown. I didn't just lose, I got spanked!  Just like everyone else. Skalzi dominated.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 11:13:00 AM »
I hadn't heard of John Scalzi before, but I had heard of his book Old Man's War which was previously nominated for a Hugo. He's a little older and more published than EUOL, so I guess it's not surprising he won. Scalzi is also a professional blogger which probably helps his fan base.

Couurse, now that he's won, this clears the way for EUOL to win.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 02:50:44 PM »
I already gave my opinion on Old Man's War, and I'm very happy that Spin won the novel Hugo.

However, Scalzi's acceptance speech was the most gracious speech given all night. What a nice guy! He'll be a credit to the field for decades to come.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 02:55:25 PM »
What did he say?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 03:20:04 PM »
> However, Scalzi's acceptance speech was the most
> gracious speech given all night.

Agreed.

Basically, he said that you're known by the company you keep, and he was happy to be in the company of the other nominees.  He said that after being nominated, he went and read the books by the other nominees, and was impressed by how good they were.  He not only named the other nominees, he named their books, and encouraged everyone to go buy those books.

When he finished, I turned to a friend sitting next to me and said, "Now that was a classy speech."
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 05:00:19 PM »
I got to chat with him for a while, and he really is a stand-up guy.  I hope that he goes really far in the business, since he treats people with such respect.  The best Evil Nemesis I've ever had.

I will be posting images of my Scalzi award as soon as I have them.

PixelFish

• Level 3
  • fish
    • View Profile
    • LisMitchell
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 05:32:05 PM »
Scalzi's blog is one of my regular reads actually. He's had some bang up articles on life as a newbie writer. (Alas, I did not know you were up against him, although to be fair, I only just found Elantris a few weeks ago.)
.she.sings.from.somewhere.you.can't.see.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 05:40:38 PM »
Heh.  He was nominated for the Hugo AND the Campbell.  That pretty much guaranteed him a win on the Campbell.  There was a gap of around 140 votes (out of only about 300) which separated him from the rest of us.

Though, interestingly, Scalzi got the Hugo nomination because Gaiman withdrew Anansi Boys from the running.  

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 06:11:44 PM »
I saw Gaiman's reasoning for withdrawing Anansi Boys on his blog, and I think it was very gracious of him to have done that. He's got 3 Hugos already, he said, and it was only fair to let someone else win this year, and besides, Anansi Boys was more fantasy than science fiction, and he figured he'd already had his science fiction honored by the Hugos.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 07:30:48 PM »
I am continually mystified.  I read Gaiman's "American Gods" and it was slow, painfully self-aware, and pretentious.  I finished it dragged along behind the unfulfilled hope that it would, soon, get better.

Did I read the wrong book of his?

I also watched "mirrormask" because it received so much press in tandem with Serenity in a lot of the articles I read.  It was certainly well done but, again, it's like the guy is trying a little too hard to put "themes" and "lessons" into his work.

Did that movie do him justice?

Am I just crazy for thinking that his massive rep is undeserved?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 07:31:29 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

PixelFish

• Level 3
  • fish
    • View Profile
    • LisMitchell
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 07:54:18 PM »
Mrm. I think a lot of Gaiman's rep comes from his run on the comic book, The Sandman. You can collect 'em in graphic novels--they run the gamut from horror to mythopaeic fantasy, wherein gods and faery tale figures rub shoulders with ordinary people on a regular basis. Pretty good stuff, and a definite change of pace for the industry at the time, which was saturated with superheroes. The indy comics hadn't really picked up at that point, so for a lot of people, Sandman is groundbreaking.

I think Neverwhere is his best novel to date, followed shortly by Stardust and Anansi Boys in a too-close-to-call tie....

I myself wasn't much for American Gods, but my BF, who is a big Odin fan, loved it.

There's also a YA book, Coraline, which left me a little cold, not being Addams Family enough for me, and which is essentially Mirrormask Mark I.

Also, there is a kid's book, The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish, which is awesome.

Good Omens, a book he did with Terry Pratchett, is very good, although sometimes people who are fans of either Pratchett or Gaiman, but not both, are turned off by the mixture of the two. It's a very funny Apocalypse story. Maybe not everybody's cup of tea.

This is what I've read, and the mileage varies for me. There are some people who rave about his short stories, none of which I've read. And

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 08:36:04 PM »
thing is, Gaiman didn't just "have a run" on sandman, he *created* Sandman. A brilliant setting/character set

and I think most people would disagree with Skar on American Gods, including Fell. I dont' think I liked it nearly so much as Fell, but "painfully self-aware" and "pretentious" are not how I'd describe it. I did find it was a bit longer than it needed to be, but I didn't feel like it was obvious in any of it's ideas. Of course it was "thematic." The characters were gods. They had domains.

PixelFish

• Level 3
  • fish
    • View Profile
    • LisMitchell
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 09:58:37 PM »
I'm gonna play My Anal Nerd Card, and say that he re-created Sandman. From what I hear, he went to Karen Berger, asked if he could co-opt a defunct DC character, and got full creative reign.

But other than that....yeah, you are right, the entire modern run of Sandman, as we know it, is his. I didn't mean to make it seem otherwise. :)