Author Topic: WorldCon L.A. (2006) Official Report Thread  (Read 7013 times)

Christopher

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Blah...blah... BOO!
    • View Profile
WorldCon L.A. (2006) Official Report Thread
« on: September 01, 2006, 12:32:24 PM »
Bookstore Guy (Steve the Man) suggested the thread....so here it is! Stories, feelings, thoughts about our adventures in L.A. Also, I told Melinda Goodin (the nice Australian librarian who went to a lot of the Kaffeeklatschs with us) that we'd start a thread and send her a link to it for the enjoyment of her Aussie friends. So without further adieu, here's my report....
------------------
First of all, Bob Defendi said it best:

"I'm really glad I met all you guys...thanks."

Those are my feelings exactly. What made the whole thing fun was our group.

I mainly hung around with Bob, Brian, and Steve....meeting up with and hanging out with the rest of Brandon's crew when time and circumstances allowed.  

DRIVING DOWN:

You put a bunch of writers in some cars together and you're going to say and hear some cool things. It was all mainly about writing, and people we wanted to meet. We stopped at "In N' Out Burger" in Vegas. Drove the rest of the way...got there kinda late.

INCIDENT #1: A LITTLE SOMETHING I LIKE TO CALL "ATTACK RAOUL"...

If you don't know what a "Kaffeeklatsch" is (and I didn't), it's a chance to sit down with either an editor, or an agent, or a writer in a small group and ask the person questions. Well one of these famous/semi-famous people sat down, introduced him or herself, and this guy named Raoul proceeded to ask the first question. It was something like, "So...what kind of stuff is your company looking to acquire right now?"

And then the famous person went off.

Not exact summary (but close enough): "Don't ask me that. Why did you ask me that? That's not what I want to hear. Why don't you go to the panels. They talk about that amateur stuff. Why did you ask me that? I have all this experience...you have me here...and you asked me that? I can't believe you asked me that. For the love of Jove. Did you really ask me that?" Etc...etc. Followed by "Any other questions?"

Dead silence.

Bob Defendi, braver than the rest of us, then meekly said, "I think we're all afraid to ask."

Bob then asked some question that also got shot down, though not as harshly. I then threw out some questions, then some other people, then back to Bob. The result was that the person answered any question that was directly about him/her, and just blew us off on everything else, abit much more nicely than the way Raoul was shot down.

Anyway...it was all kinda funny. And there was one really good thing that come out of it: We all met Raoul.

AFTERMATH:

When the Kaffeeklatsch was over I immediately went up to Raoul and introduced myself and said, "And thanks for taking one for the team." He laughed and said, "Life too short to worry about stuff like that...." He then hung around with us for the next few days...now forever one of the group.

Even before "the incident", he looked familiar to me. He told me that was likely because he's had bit parts in a bunch of t.v. shows. He also told me that he was a documentary filmmaker and that he'd been a manager and personal assistant for some really famous people including Sharaon Stone and Nick Cage. He laughed again and said, "People way more famous than that person."  

Raoul was/is a cool guy who came to the convention because he'd just finished a five part sci-fi series that he told me about over dinner. It sounds amazing.

I think we were all happy that we met Raoul.

Some great Kaffeeklatschs I and some of the group went to were with:

Lou Anders of Pyr. Cool guy publishing some cool stuff. He was easily approachable and friendly the entire convention.  

Jim Mintz (now with DelRay) who swore like a poet. He was very nice and helpful.

Teresa and Patrick Nielsen Hayden who even gave us extra time with them and told lots of funny, useful stories.

Glen Cook. Great author who I'm now claiming is my uncle because we have the same last name.

INCIDENT #2 (NOTE: INSIDER JOKE): BRIAN IS A PUSS WHO COMPLAINS TOO MUCH AND IS WEAK BECAUSE OF HIS LACK OF TRAINING.

I'm not going to go into this too much so as not to disparage the already vulnerable. Let me just say this. Brain, it doesn't matter if you have early-onset Rheumatoid Arthritis. It doesn't matter that you are in pain a lot and that you think you need eight hours of sleep. You need to stop your bitchin’ and train yourself and be a lot stronger. Dammit! It's your lack of training that is causing it...don't you know that? Your lack of training.....

Okay--deep breath--so as not to come accross as too negative, you do have some good things going for you...

YOU WILL WIN ONE OF THE WRITERS OF THE FUTURE CONTESTS

YOU WILL BE A BIGGER WRITER THAN BRANDON OR ANY OF THE REST OF US.

How do I know? Because I read your short-story and you're talented.

In spite of your lack of training :).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 12:19:40 AM by Christopher »
"Magic? That's not magic! I did that with blood, sweat, and tears."

Christopher

• Level 3
  • Blah...blah... BOO!
    • View Profile
Re: WorldCon L.A. (2006) Official Report Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 09:36:02 PM »
INCIDENT #3: Scalzi-Bane.

This is already being covered in other threads here. This is one of the best, funniest things that happened. It's just a rumor, but Monday morning when he was leaving, I think someone overheard John Scalzi say something like, "This isn't over. This is just the beginning. I will gather my forces...I will gather my minions. I will rain down destruction on the Brandonhorde. You don't know the forces I can unleash." I fear for the future, people. Seriously, I'm scared. That nice guy thing is just an act in spite of him giving one of the best, most humble winner's speeches that has even been given in this or any other galaxy.

Oh, and the brave/leader award again goes to Bob Defendi. Right when the winner of the Campbell award was announced, Bob, in that deep, projecting voice of his yelled, "Scalziiiiiiiiii." Five thousand people proceeded to look at him over a joke only a couple dozen people knew anything about. The cool thing is that Scalzi himself yelled back. Anyway, it was funny, made even more so when I looked to the seat in front of me and saw Brandon's agent, Joshua, leaning forward and holding his head in his hands in embarrassment because he was sitting so close to all us goofballs.

Personal Stuff:

#1: Tor Party.

Well they say things happen for a reason. I was at the Tor party, needed a pen, went down to the lobby to get one and then couldn't find the Presidential Suite again. The good thing about this is that I met a nice guy named Pat Rothfuss, who was also trying to find the Tor party. We got talking and I found out he's just sold a fantasy series to Daw. "Well how did you do that?" I asked. He told me he placed in the Writers of the Future contest then an agent found him and just sold his books. I told him I've never entered the contest because I wasn't a short-story writer. He said, "Well neither am I." That intrigued me because that contest is a short-story contest. He told me he just took interesting parts out of his novels, made a few changes, and submitted those stories to the contest. Now that's a darn good idea, I thought. We eventually found the party. He said, "You should submit." I said, "I think I will."

RESULT: I'll be submitting some stories to Writers of the Future soon.

#2 Baen Party

A bunch of us did Kaffeeklatsch with Toni Weisskopf of Baen. We were all impressed with her. She was nice, knew her stuff, and was willing to answer any and all questions we had. Her husband Hank came with her for the first half of it. I noticed he had leather wristbands on. The only other person I know who regularly wears those is a knife expert who is a friend of my buddies. Well I spotted Hank at the Baen party on Saturday and proceeded to talk with him about all kinds of cool martial arts stuff for about an hour. It had nothing to do with writing, nothing to do with the convention at all. It was cool though. He's a nice guy. I told him I'd send him some knife stuff. It is also cool to know that Baen's editor is married to a guy who knows what he's talking about, that he and Toni shoot guns at a range and do other cool things. If a company is going to be known for military sci-fi, these are exactly the type of people you want in charge of it.

#3: What the Heck's Your Name?

Those who hung around with me at the convention know I couldn't get anyone's name right. I originally thought Toni Weisskopf's name was Tracy. I couldn't pronounce Kaffeeklatsch if my life depended on it. I though Moshe (Brandon's editor) was Joshua (Brandon's agent) and then proceeded to tell them stuff that was really about the other person. On the way back I was teaching some of the guys some psychology stuff (I'm a counselor...that's my day job), and Bob said, "It's good to know you're kinda smart [or something like that] and that name thing was just because you're really, really inattentive." I thought that was pretty funny. So, my new goal is to start getting people's names right....which I probably won't. At least I get it right sometimes. Like when I have time to review everything and then post it here on TimeWasters or on Randon Sandersoon.com. <--joke.

SUMMARY: If you haven't heard, at the convention Denver won WorldCon 2008. I hope all of us are planning on going. We should all go as a group again. If I have half as much fun and meet half as many interesting people there as I did in L.A, it should be a heck of an adventure.

Chris
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 09:30:12 PM by Christopher »

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 02:46:47 AM »
my most interesting moment was being propositioned for my cool "Japan 2007" headband...I dont know if I should feel disturbed or, well, disturbed about it...
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

MONIAH

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 02:36:13 PM »

Hello Chris, Brandon, Bookstore guy and all the fine gentlemen.   Raoul here live from LA.  Regarding "Attack Raoul", the response to my question was, "If you're going to ask questions like that you should leave now."  The other editors and speakers I encountered were ladies and gentlemen all, and I finally met my esteemed editor.  At the TOR party, I was happy to see Radio Host Steve who I introduced to Geoffrey Landis, the NASA scientist who is also a member of our Roundtable in LA.   In my world: I just completed editing Vol 2 of NTTG and am taking a break to prepare for my new job.  I'm glad I met you guys, it was a great time, stay in touch and when in LA--give a call.

MONIAH

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 02:41:55 PM »

I just noticed that my profile describes me as "peasent" in some twisted logic of the blog. That has got to go!

Bookstore guy and Brandon please email and or call me.

I hope all of you had a chance to check out my website, if not,  go to  www.omrpmproductions.com and turn up the sound!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 03:10:33 PM »
That's a bit close to NETTG (Nuke 'Em Till They Glow).
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Christopher

• Level 3
  • Blah...blah... BOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 03:16:22 PM »
That's a bit close to NETTG (Nuke 'Em Till They Glow).

Funny, I like that.

But NTTG is actually the title of Raoul's novel series, "Next to the Gods."
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 03:29:43 PM by Christopher »

Rosencrantz

• Level 3
  • Just ramblin' on....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 08:33:47 PM »
Chris, you're so sweet to point out my lack of training.  And my other shortcomings.

But seriously, I don't think Brandon's gonna talk to me again, not after introducing myself to everyone, including his editor, as "the next biggest thing in speculative fiction."

Which is gonna make taking his class for the third time this winter all the more enjoyable.

Worldcon was a blast.  I met some awesome people, some editors, some agents and most importantly, the great guys I spent nearly 20 hours in the car with.

And don't worry the least about Scalzi.  He may have more minions right now.  But the Brandonhorde will split off into independent armies.  Armies led by the talented and devilishly handsome authors and bookstore supermen that saw the evil that was Scalzi when he claimed that Campbell for his own and rose up to fight him!  They will form a coalition that will multiply until verily, they will cover the earth!

Scalzi doesn't stand a chance.  Besides.  I'm the next biggest thing in speculative fiction.  If Brandon doesn't squash Scalzi before I'm famous, I'll take care of things in a few years.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 10:05:40 PM »
I was gonna make some comment about how Brandon and John are competing for readers, but I won't.

NTTG is actually the title of Raoul's novel series, "Next to the Gods."

I did see that on his website...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 12:14:43 AM »
Hey, Raoul is here! This is Dan Wells; nice to see you (sort of) again.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

MONIAH

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 08:07:26 PM »

Hello Dan,

Good to "see" you too.  

It's okay "Ookla", the funny thing about your analogy, ie, "Nuke em..." is that it's so completely the opposite of the message of NTTG that it's rather amusing.  

MONIAH

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 08:14:02 PM »

Chris,

Don't forget to contact John D in NY!

Raoul's quote of the day to a friend having production issues on a TV show: "It only takes 3 inches of water."

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 06:23:47 PM »
I posted my report on my blog.
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 07:23:45 PM »
Mmm, so what is this about Harlan Ellison that I'm reading happened at this years worldcon? Anyone seen this?? Hm, hmmm?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 08:09:54 PM »
We all saw Harlan embarrass himself at the Hugos.  He has released an apology, however.  At the same time, many industry professionals have asked that nothing like that ever happen again.  And rightfully so.  F/SF shouldn't tolerate antics such as Harlan's latest.