Author Topic: Mistborn: Allomancy or Feruchemy? [ SPOILER ]  (Read 30330 times)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn: Allomancy or Feruchemy? [ SPOILER ]
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 10:47:49 PM »
but cannot affect anything external, such as emotions.  That's really the main advantage Alchemy has.

Alchemy? You mean "Allomancy"? But, yeah, Allomancy can affect external things but the *other* big advantage is if you have the metal, you can burn it at any time, you needn't store it up like with Feruchemy (as Archon and Tink mentioned).

That said, it's dang hard to choose! I think I'd have to go with Feruchemy, though. I mean, I could ace every test I ever had to take. I could memorize my favorite novels and never have to refer to Chicago or the dictionary again! whoo-hoo! But, best of all, I would store all those extra pounds away and just throw the metal out! I can't say how completely amazing that would be!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Seeker

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 01:31:45 AM »
I don't know why but i'd rather be an Allomancer.  They can do several different things that i love, such as Atium... or can Feruchemists use Atium?
-Is there anything more beautiful than the sun? I often watch it rise, for my restless sleep usually awakens me before dawn.

Lost_Kyte

• Level 2
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 02:52:23 AM »
I would venture to say they can't use atium the way Allomancers can. How can you store up visions of the future? You could store up history though, like gold.

I'm sticking with Allomancy!
a night light is often needed to guide my way.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2006, 09:31:51 AM »
It is specifically stated that the feruchemist can dump it all at once. and even if burning is instantaneous, if I've stored enough speed, I can have that knife in your neck before the thought processes have even registered what's going to happen and told your body to move.

and, hooray for you for pushing a coin against the thing thrown at you. If it's heavier than you, you're just going to push yourself away.

As for hanging up in the air, a) your atium won't last forever, either, and assuming I'll be using up my resources while I cant' reach you is foolish. b) I can find what metal you're pushing on and move it, probably causing you to crash into things. "Oh, you're pushing on this nail? How about I rip it out with stored strength and toss it over there so you go flying in that other direction."

Allomancers can do quite a lot, but trust me, even when they do stand up to a feruchemist, it won't be nearly so one-sided as you seem to think.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2006, 11:34:16 AM »
Now I'm imagining barracks full of blind, deaf, comatose, feruchemist soldiers,  tied down to the beds so they don't float away, just waiting to be called upon.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2006, 12:02:40 PM »
I would venture to say they can't use atium the way Allomancers can. How can you store up visions of the future? You could store up history though, like gold.

I'm sticking with Allomancy!

Atium is actually the metal the Lord Ruler used to store up age.
For those who are at an unfair disadvantage, the known properties of Feruchemy (via the glossary to book two) are:

Iron:    
Stores Physical Weight

Steel:  
Stores Physical Speed

Tin:      
Stores Senses (One sense per tinmind)

Pewter:
Stores Physical Strength

Brass:
Stores Warmth

Zinc:
Stores Mental Speed

Copper:
Stores Memories

Bronze:
Stores Wakefulness

Atium:
Stores Age

Malatium:
UNKNOWN

Gold:
Stores Health

Electrum:
UNKNOWN
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2006, 02:42:53 PM »
I don't think you mentioned the age-bracelets were atium. Did anyone ever find these atium bracelets? There would be a lot there to use! Or would they be useless to anyone else because they had some age/youth in them?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2006, 04:23:05 PM »
I forgot about them, honestly, when I did the first draft of book two.  They're now mentioned in the rewrite.

Seeker

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2006, 04:51:50 PM »
So Allomancers can see a bit in advance, but feruchemists are 10x more powerful.  Even if you could see what was going to happen, they could have so much speed stored up that you wouldn't even be able to react.  
-Is there anything more beautiful than the sun? I often watch it rise, for my restless sleep usually awakens me before dawn.

Lost_Kyte

• Level 2
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2006, 05:28:31 PM »
Now that's an interesting thought... I think I'm going to have to chew on it for awhile. I'm not totally convinced that super speed-of-light would be better than a few seconds of foresight.

Thanks for the notes brandon. :) Didn't know the names malatium and electrum either!

Seeker

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2006, 05:32:06 PM »
Now i'm even more excited (If possible) For Mistborn 2 and 3.   I know this lucky guy who works at Waldenbooks who already has them.    :'(

But anyways.  I still think that Mistborns are cooler in attitude and their awesome cloaks, but now i'm convinced that Feruchemists are much more powerful.  But If you can get to one while they're weak and storing energy, then you can kill them.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2006, 05:44:32 PM »
Don't forget the whole eunuch thing.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 05:44:56 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Lost_Kyte

• Level 2
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2006, 12:21:39 AM »
That's true. I don't think that's a trade-off I'd be willing to make.

Which reminds me, are all stewards, inquisitors and obligators men?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2006, 12:25:15 AM »
There are female Keepers.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2006, 10:38:44 AM »
Lots of Female Keepers (one of the main characters in book two is one), no female Inquisitors or obligators (since the Lord Ruler was pretty much in charge of who got to do both.)  However, there weren't actually hard fast rules, so I could see a determined woman ending up in the Steel Ministry if she put her mind to it.

Also possible, for role playing reasons, for a Feruchemist to end up not a eunuch.  There would have to be a very good reason, though.  (The Keepers kept him hidden, or perhaps he's a half-Terrisman, living in the underground.)