Author Topic: Mistborn: Allomancy or Feruchemy? [ SPOILER ]  (Read 30338 times)

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn: Allomancy or Feruchemy? [ SPOILER ]
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2006, 03:01:18 PM »
Or if *SPOILER* now that the Lord Ruler is dead, and there were ones who were not eunuchs who survived, they could have children. It's not like you have to be a eunuch to be a Feruchemist. The Lord Ruler just instituted that to try and prevent someone like him, with both sets of powers (who could then be a real foe for him).

Question for Brandon: Were the female Keepers somehow made so they can't have children as well? This might be an embarassing question. I'm just not knowledgeable on whether there is a way to keep women from having children like there is men (without extensive surgery). I could just be ignorant of it, though. If the Lord Ruler was relying on the fact that the men could not have children to keep the Terris people from having keepers, then the women Keepers could have half-breeds who are Keepers as well, right?

I'm actually surprised that he just tried to prevent them from having children rather than genocide. I guess it has something to do with him being a Terrisman, but that doesn't seem a strong enough reason to me.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2006, 05:11:36 PM »
Tink,

Yes, he has a way of stopping female Keepers from bearing children.  He kills them.

Remember, being a Terrisman doesn't AUTOMATICALLY make one a Keeper.  The vast majority of the population has no Feruchemical powers.  Once, it was very common--but, the point of the breeding program was so that the Lord Ruler could try to breed Feruchemy out of the population without being forced to slaughter everyone from his homeland.

So, a female Keeper--like a male one--would have to remain hidden.  The fact that Sazed was a Keeper had no effect on whether or not he was a eunuch.  He was castrated as a child because the breeders controlled the population primarily by making eunuchs of all the men they didn't want breeding.  Then, they would select certain women to be 'Breeders' and use them to bear children via the men they didn't castrate.  The other women were all still fertile--but all of the men they interacted with were eunuchs, so it didn't really matter.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Seeker

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2006, 09:32:33 PM »
I just thought of something.  Feruchemists can't toy with emotions, or hide and seek for other allomancers.  This could prove really useful for the allomancers if they were to fight feruchemists.
-Is there anything more beautiful than the sun? I often watch it rise, for my restless sleep usually awakens me before dawn.

Princess_Luney

• Level 1
  • I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2006, 08:43:21 PM »
I'd prefer Allomancy, assuming I was Mistborn.  I'd like to have sway over someone's emotions, (muahahhahaha) *ahem* and the fighting is just awesome.

Sides...the Allomancer got Elend...and I wouldn't mind having one of my own!  :-*
I think I'm thinking, so if I think I'm thinking, then I must be thinking, I think.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2008, 12:03:31 AM »
So I had a thought, and so as not to start a completely new thread, I'm bringing this one back up.

I'd like to at least try Feruchemy over Allomancy, and this is why:

Most skills require something saved up in order to use it later. Alright, all of them. But weight can really be played with both ways. We know in Sazed's fight with Marsh that when he increased his weight, it threw Marsh instead. But he also could avoid damage from getting hit by decreasing his weight. Sure any blow would throw him, but his lack of weight would keep bones from breaking, and the wind resistance would slow him down before he went too far. Plus, with normal muscles he'd be capable of impressive acrobatics, though he'd have problems on a windy day, and a coin shot at him would be problematic unless he could get out of the way before hitting something... And he could move much faster with a little less weight. Throw punches with high speed and increasing weight before they hit to increase impact. That would save on Pewter.

All that would take a ton of practice, and he'd have to probably get the metals pierced into him or swallowed (or use the ones already buried inside his stomach), but Sazed could be deadly. Especially if he saved up on gold, steel, zinc, tin, and pewter.

I wonder if bronze has a use beyond comfort and survival in extreme temperatures.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2008, 12:41:37 AM »
yeah, sure from what we've seen Feruchemy is more powerful, but really, Allomancy is so much cooler. I mean, Mistborn can fly. Who wouldn't trade a little power for the right to not only stalk the streets at night in eery gray pajamas, but also fly and get to call yourself a "Mist-born!!"
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2008, 12:51:28 AM »
So really then, with a combination of Feruchemy and Allomancy, you really could fly. Not just shoot up into the air and fall. It'd be insanely cool. Of course, a mix of all three would make one even more insanely cool. Except for the part about being controlled by Ruin. Not cool. Not at all.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2008, 02:28:35 PM »
So really then, with a combination of Feruchemy and Allomancy, you really could fly. Not just shoot up into the air and fall. It'd be insanely cool. Of course, a mix of all three would make one even more insanely cool. Except for the part about being controlled by Ruin. Not cool. Not at all.

lol plus the part where you have great big spikes sticking out of your eyeballs, being a psychotic, antisocial murderer, and that you get kicks out of torturing helpless innocents. Not cool.
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2008, 03:21:12 PM »
i think that allomancy is the way to go. I under stand that with Feruchemy you have the ability to use your stores of power all at once and at that point become amazingly powerful but, as someone already pointed out what does a Feruchemy user do when those stores run out? i understand that allomancy requires metals that also run out but let say for the sake of argument you were a mistborn fighting a Feruchemist. The Feruchemist would be able to alter their abilities for however long they have stored said ability, the allomancer can use lets say pewter for example for as long as they have a supply ( i mention pewter due to the abundance of it in the books hence the bags of pewter dust). so in reality Feruchemy does have some advantages but it also have very large disadvantages. while allomancy, at least the way i look at it has very few disadvantages. and im not just baseing this on fighting ability the argument is aplicable to all of the abilities it was just an easy and understandable way to make my point.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2008, 05:49:08 PM »
Plus, with Allomancy, you can affect your enemies from afar, Feruchemy has only internal abilities.  Feruchemists also can't affect other's emotions, which I think could be a huge advantage.  If you got good enough, and it didn;t divide your attention to much (you'd have to be good at multitasking) imagine soothing and rioting your enemy durning a fight, making them more unsure, tired,  and beaten down, more fearful, or quick bursts of durulium enhanced soothing and rioting at the same time, would make for a great distraction, they would be momentarily overwhelmed, and you could move in for the kill.

That, and I'd want to try Vin's horse shoe thing, that's just cool!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2008, 05:22:14 AM »
I'm more of a pacifist myself.

I think that having Feruchemy, primarily because I think that knowledge is the key to . . . everything basically.  And to be able to store things and bring them back would be amazing.  PLUS while you sat around reading in order to learn, you could store age, because you don't have to be young to read, which would give you even more time to learn more things.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2008, 12:58:36 PM »
I'm more of a pacifist myself.

PLUS while you sat around reading in order to learn, you could store age, because you don't have to be young to read, which would give you even more time to learn more things.

? Feruchemists can't store age. You would have to spend an equal amount of time old as you did young. Only the lord Ruler could do that because he was an Allomancer as well. The way i understand it he was able to burn his Feruchemical piercings so the equal-time rule didn't apply to him.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2008, 05:26:55 PM »
I think what Miyabi is trying to say, is that he would stay extremely old while doing research and stuff, so he wouldn't waste his youth, and then be young later on when his research is done, so he can still enjoy life, he's still spending the same amount of time old and young, just in a different order, I think.

And I would still pick Allomancy: the freedom of flying through the mists, and I would be interested in the self examination gold and electrum could give me.  I think Allomancy would just be incredibly freeing, and I love emotional allomancy so much, I would love to have it myself.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2008, 08:28:02 PM »
I think what Miyabi is trying to say, is that he would stay extremely old while doing research and stuff, so he wouldn't waste his youth, and then be young later on when his research is done, so he can still enjoy life, he's still spending the same amount of time old and young, just in a different order, I think.

ahhhh, now i get it. yeah that would be pretty cool, choose when you want to be young.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2008, 10:39:35 PM »

ahhhh, now i get it. yeah that would be pretty cool, choose when you want to be young.
That's exactly what I meant. ROFL!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。