Author Topic: Brandonsanderson.com upgrade  (Read 12188 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Brandonsanderson.com upgrade
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2006, 05:26:54 PM »
What web browser was it that you were viewing the mockup png in on the apple monitor? I suspect it may actually be the png gamma bug rather than the monitor. (The old version of Safari displays pngs with a gAMA chunk darker than the old version of Explorer on the same machine.) Of course the monitor could also just be poorly calibrated. I doubt that it's the hardware specs of the monitor itself that are a limiting factor. 400:1 isn't as good as 800:1, but it should be plenty good enough for most uses.

My PC monitor here at work sucks so much that in-post links here in the forum look the same color as the rest of the text. Not surprisingly, the calendar on that mockup png looks black on it.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2006, 05:49:47 PM »
I've checked in IE 7, firefox and windows picture preview, while I have a mac monitor I use a window's box.  I snagged the monitor because the only PC one they had was a crappy 15 inch CRT.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2006, 06:38:06 PM »
I know if you use a mac monitor with a mac, it has a decently calibrated monitor profile. If it's on a PC you might have to calibrate it manually using Adobe Gamma or something like that.

Though I found this quote on about.com..."While the Apple 23" Cinema Display is certainly a high end product with an MSRP of $1299, it does not have many features. Most obviously lacking from the features list is the lack of adjustment options built into the display. Mac users can fully adjust the display from inside of the Mac OS environment. However, Windows based PC users can only adjust the brightness of the display. This seems almost a cruel joke Apple is playing on Windows based PC users. The Apple 23" Cinema Display is the only display in any price range I have used that offers no real adjustability.

Apple expects their Cinema Displays to be perfect right out of the box. Granted the display is pretty close to perfect without needing adjustments built in. However, if a user wants to be able to adjust the display to their viewing environment and does not work on a Mac, you are completely out of luck."
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2006, 01:39:59 AM »
While the Apple 23" Cinema Display is certainly a high end product with an MSRP of $1299, it does not have many features. Most obviously lacking from the features list is the lack of adjustment options built into the display. Mac users can fully adjust the display from inside of the Mac OS environment. However, Windows based PC users can only adjust the brightness of the display. This seems almost a cruel joke Apple is playing on Windows based PC users. The Apple 23" Cinema Display is the only display in any price range I have used that offers no real adjustability.

I have the Apple 23" Cinema Display as my monitor for my Windows computer, and the display was pretty much perfect out of the box.  The lack of adjustability doesn't seem like a problem, especially since I can adjust the contrast and gamma through my video card's settings if necessary.
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2006, 06:23:26 PM »
The beta of the new blog is live!
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog_new.php

I'm not done with the books section as you can tell by my [books] template tag is still there nor is the search working.

The layout is a work in progress too, there are things that will be changing over the next few days.

I want to have this done by Thursday, preferably Wednesday night, so if you've got comments on use and look let me know.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 06:23:41 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2006, 07:22:51 PM »
The search feature is working, let me know if you think I should format it differently (ie adding some of the blog text into the search result, which I'll probably do).  Also I need to add a message if the item isn't found, but I don't have time since I have to get ready for Bucca.

This is a boolean search feature that's more complex then the one TWG uses at the moment it's supposed to order everything by relevance but I don't know how the database determines these things.  Right now it just lists things by when they were posted so I assume it's using posted date as part of the relevance.

here's a list of the boolean options

None By default (when neither + nor - is specified) the word is optional, but the rows that contain it are rated higher. This mimics the behavior of MATCH() ... AGAINST() without the IN BOOLEAN MODE modifier.
+ A leading plus sign indicates that this word must be present in every row returned.
- A leading minus sign indicates that this word must not be present in any row returned.
> < These two operators are used to change a word's contribution to the relevance value that is assigned to a row. The > operator increases the contribution and the < operator decreases it. See the example below.
( ) Parentheses are used to group words into subexpressions. Parenthesized groups can be nested.
~ A leading tilde acts as a negation operator, causing the word's contribution to the row relevance to be negative. It's useful for marking noise words. A row that contains such a word is rated lower than others, but is not excluded altogether, as it would be with the - operator.
" A phrase that is enclosed within double quote ('"') characters matches only rows that contain the phrase literally, as it was typed. The full-text engine splits the phrase into words, performs a search in the FULLTEXT index for the words. Before MySQL 5.0.3, the engine then performs a substring search for the phrase in the records that are found, so the match must include non-word characters in the phrase. As of MySQL 5.0.3, non-word characters need not be matched exactly: Phrase searching requires only that matches contain exactly the same words as the phrase and in the same order. For example, "test phrase" matches "test, phrase" as of MySQL 5.0.3, but not before.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 07:25:09 PM by Spriggan »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2006, 03:25:00 AM »
Looks good to me, except the last line on the most recent post isn't showing up on my screen, and the formatting for the "previous" link also isn't working on the most recent post—that could be part of what's in progress though.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2006, 03:41:32 AM »
Not sure what's causing that, but I haven't really checked yet, I think it has to do with some HTML in the actual post itself.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2006, 08:51:37 PM »
Sprig,

I REALLY like the look of the new blog, as well as the new functionality.  Bravo!

I was thinking that the left side feels a little open.  Could we, perhaps, stick book images there with links to their book pages?  That would rock!

And, I'm going to do an introduction to MISTBORN on its book page soon.  Sorry that one's still blank.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2006, 09:12:26 PM »
Ya I want to make the left hand side show books that link to both the amazon page and the book page.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2006, 12:20:25 AM »
Ok, the books are up (same link http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog_new.php) so I'll probably need to format this still a bit.

Now all I need to do is add, RSS and we're feature complete then just need to do the backend. Whoo!  Then it's just making any final formating changes and fixes.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2006, 12:50:10 AM »
Let me say again, Sprig, that I really, really like the changes.  Well done, my good chap!
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2006, 01:09:01 AM »
cool.

Well I should have the ability to manage the new features of your blog up soon.  Right now you can edit/delete blog categories and list all posts that don't have categories but you can't actually assign categories to a post yet.  So you might as well go and start making categories and see if there's any bugs, I've allready got three up there.

The link chain is Manage Blog via HTML>>>Manage Blog Categories.  Made it really easy to find.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 01:11:19 AM by Spriggan »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2006, 11:21:44 PM »
Well the categories are done (yea!).

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2006, 01:20:35 AM »
OK, the new blog has replaced the old one, there were no errors that I've been able to find but that doesn't mean there aren't so let me know if you find anything.

The old blog is still active, it's been renamed to http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog_old.php if you'd rather still use it.

Thanks for the input everyone.  Once I get the new RSS working I'll start working on the new menu and bring it up here for suggestions.