Author Topic: I just finished mistborn and... ^_^  (Read 2614 times)

Ledgem

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Bow to ledgem, god of darkness
    • View Profile
I just finished mistborn and... ^_^
« on: October 13, 2006, 10:58:55 PM »
WOO!!!!!!That was THE best book I have read in several years. The last time I read a novel ANYWHERE near as good as this one was far too long ago (the trillogy in particular was "His Dark Materials" by philip pullman). I don't know how to trully express how good this book was, it was just too good for words. Maybe I just haven't read enough books (so much junk out there *coughforgottenrealmscough*) but this was just really, really good. Im so glad theres more coming, though it's so far away, im glad the whole allomancy thing is not gone yet ^_^

Of course theres so much stuff that remains a mystery, hope I'll be able to discuss it here, I don't know anyone who would read this book anytime soon (let alone talk about it). Much praise to sanderson if he checks this and this is I guess an introduction of some sort... hope it isn't against the rules of the board... I just really wanted to say how much I enjoyed this novel!!!
"There is always another secret" Kelsier, Survivor of hathsin
Bow to ledgem, God of darkness

Lost_Kyte

• Level 2
  • <3
    • View Profile
Re: I just finished mistborn and... ^_^
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 03:32:40 AM »
Ahh I loved Pullman's work too. You should check out Robin Hobb's The Farseer Trilogy if you've liked both Pullman and Sanderson (though its one of those series that grabs your gut and won't let go!)

And I think this is exactly what the boards are for xD I just showed up here about a month ago with the same exact thoughts. I'm a dedicated fan now! :D Welcome!
a night light is often needed to guide my way.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 05:18:27 PM »
Ledgem,

Welcome and thank you!  I go by EUOL on the boards here, and really appreciate your kind words about my books.  

You can ask about any of the mysteries you want, though you might want to look for one of the threads that have [spoilers] in the title to post your question.  I'll do my best to answer any questions that don't spoil books two and three, and others may enjoy theorizing with you on what you think might happen.  

(p.s. I love Pullman's work as well.  He has a majestic, beautiful style with some of the best worldbuilding in the genre.  You obviously have good taste.  :) )
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Midnyht

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 04:20:11 PM »
Yea, much praise for Mistborn, and Elantris for that matter(which was my fav. book until mistborn).  And the Farseer trilogy is good too, I just started the Assassin's Apprentice.
I kneel only for God, and I don't see him here.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 04:33:43 PM »
Thanks, Midnyht.  Robin Hobb is great.  Be aware, however, those books don't follow a traditional 'epic fantasy' plot, which is part of what makes them so great.  They are really just focused on Fitz and a person and his life.  

The more I read by Hobb, the better she gets.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Linternet

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 05:35:16 PM »
Thanks, Midnyht.  Robin Hobb is great.  Be aware, however, those books don't follow a traditional 'epic fantasy' plot, which is part of what makes them so great.  They are really just focused on Fitz and a person and his life.  

Not to mention she gave you a fantastic cover quote for Mistborn :).

Kuntrey_Pilgrum

• Level 4
  • One by one, the penguins stold my sanity....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 06:02:46 PM »

Other than her Second Son Series, the first book of which seemed to be from an entirely different author. It reminded me that even addictive prose writers have to get a little writer's block sometime.
No Ninja Monkey can stand up to my Penguin Commandos! ATTACK!!!!

"This has to be an indicator of insanity. Not only am I talking to myself, i'm refusing to speak to me!"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 07:29:31 PM »
Does the second book improve in that regard? I also thought that Shaman's Crossing was the weakest of the "Robin Hobb" books by far (haven't read any of the "Megan Lindholm" books).
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!