Author Topic: Mistborn reactions - SPOILERS  (Read 20018 times)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn reactions - SPOILERS
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2006, 01:26:50 PM »
I'll second that. *gag*

As for Summer Glau as Vin, I've thought that too, though it may be hard for her to play the young Vin (at 16).

Anyway, without a doubt, the Mistborn trilogy would be stunning on the silver screen--if it's in the right hands with the right cast.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 01:47:27 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

CorruptedTerrisman

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Servitude is just fine for the time being...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2006, 01:55:30 PM »
Ohhh...and how about Sean Connery, (The older version not new), for Breeze! And Jude Law for Engram (Sp?), oh oh...and Lurch from the Adam's Family, for...yep you guessed it! Sazed!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2006, 02:02:33 PM »
Naa, Breeze is the guy who played the Sicilian in Princess Bride.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2006, 09:39:59 AM »
No, just no. That guy is far to annoying to fit what I thought of for Breeze, regardless of him being annoying because of his Soothing/not Soothing moments.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Kogarashi

• Level 1
  • (a.k.a. Mrs. M)
    • View Profile
    • Summoner's Garden
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2006, 04:42:09 PM »
(Mister M moonlighting under his wife's account until he can be bothered to reset his password)

So I just finished Mistborn about a day ago, and I figure it's time to jump on the comment-posting bandwagon.

First off, very good book, Brandon. It gave me some good adrenaline rushes, and some of the description is beautiful. Good work, and I eargerly await the sequel.

Now, some negative reactions, for whatever they're worth:

- Marsh's becoming an Inquisitor is a beautiful plot twist, but it didn't quite sit well with me for a few reasons. Foremost among them were (1) why did the Inquisitors "induct" him after so short a time in their ranks? He was barely out of acolytehood, after all; (2) why didn't Kelsier and Vin notice the multiple bodies used to create Marsh-the-Inquisitor? Vin pointed out the excess blood, but I would expect there to be an extra hand or something lying around, too; (3) and why did the Inquisitors basically "jump" Marsh to induct him? His note indicates no idea about it coming (likely the real reason he was going to have an hour alone, I know), but forcefully turning people into Inquisitors seems like a poor way to keep morale up. (I realize you probably have answers for these questions; I just didn't see them in the text.)

-Vin's victory seemed too easy. Yes, she had to struggle and almost failed, but as soon as the Lord Ruler's bracers came off, he suddenly lost all Allomantic ability. I might have missed something, but shouldn't he have still been able to ironpull the bracers back to him, youth or no youth?

*thinks* Actually, those are my only two big beefs with the story. They're just so critical to the resolution that they nag me. Most everything else was nice, and I especially liked Vin's story arc. I felt from early on that the story was actually about her, and it shows in how much screentime and depth she gets.

On a completely different note, I'm seeing a common thread among Sanderson protagonists. Kellsier reminded me very much of Raoden, and and even moreso of Topaz (a character from Dragonsteel, one of the two unpublished manuscripts I was able to read). They all have extreme optimism/humor, and they're all builders of societies (if that makes any sense). Those of you with more Sanderon novels under your belts can tell me if I'm seeing a true trend here, or just a coincidence.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 04:44:03 PM by Mrs_M »
"Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
- Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2006, 11:53:46 PM »
On a completely different note, I'm seeing a common thread among Sanderson protagonists. Kellsier reminded me very much of Raoden, and and even moreso of Topaz (a character from Dragonsteel, one of the two unpublished manuscripts I was able to read). They all have extreme optimism/humor, and they're all builders of societies (if that makes any sense). Those of you with more Sanderon novels under your belts can tell me if I'm seeing a true trend here, or just a coincidence.

I've notice the trend too. Kellsier did remind of Topaz from Dragonsteel. However, I've notice that many authors have characters with identical characterists running throughout their novels. This is mainly because it is very difficult for even good authors to create new character traits for every character in every novel without alienating the reader. I personally find it annoying when an author creates a character solely to be original but that I can't relate to.

The Topaz/Kellsier character is a bit generic. Raoden is similar to the Topaz/Kellsier but seem to me to be a little more of the classical "good guy," lacking the stereotypical "nobel rogue" that is the Topaz/Kellsier character.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2006, 12:49:31 AM »
Topaz is the all encompassing "Brandon Character", its the character Brandon developed back in Junior high and always uses when he can.  Raioden and Kel are modified versions of this character, and you'll see lots of other characters like them because EUOL likes writing this personality type because he shares a lot of traits with it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 12:50:03 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2006, 01:10:13 PM »
Huh, I don't know. I didn't find Kelsier much like Topaz--I mean, their superficial personalities are similar, but their motivations and deep-seated psyche seem to be quite different. And Kelsier did all kinds of things Raoden would never have done. Raoden was not a killer. I think Elend shares more similaries with Raoden, though more naive and not nearly as diplomatically practiced. I do think all of them have bits of Brandon's own personality.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 01:13:27 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2006, 01:30:51 PM »
Ookla, motivation do change according to scenario. I'm guessing that Topaz and Kell would have the same motivation and deep-psyche if they were in the same book.

I agree that Raoden is not a killer and that why I consider Raoden a slightly different character but still has similar personality traites to Topaz/Kellsier.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2006, 03:16:54 PM »
But Topaz isn't a killer either. ;) Even more than Raoden, he's by nature the total opposite...if you know what I mean. But the magical systems they are so strongly rooted in don't cross over, and those make up a huge part of their character. If you say they would act the same way if they had the same background and circumstances, that's like saying they'd act that way if they were a totally different character, and I think that doesn't help the argument.

I see some similarities, but not enough to call them variations of the same character.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 03:18:17 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

CorruptedTerrisman

• Level 2
  • Servitude is just fine for the time being...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2006, 03:36:45 PM »
Raoden...Topaz? Haha I'm lost. I'm obviously out of the loop, but I'm curious...what books are these characters from? I'm interested in picking up any other books that our EUOL has written besides Elantris and Mistborn!!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 03:39:01 PM by CorruptedTerrisman »

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2006, 03:48:26 PM »
Raoden is kind of a main character in Elantris. And if you read the previous posts, you will see that Topaz is a character from Dragonsteel, an unpublished manuscript of EUOL's.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2006, 05:34:30 PM »
If you say they would act the same way if they had the same background and circumstances, that's like saying they'd act that way if they were a totally different character, and I think that doesn't help the argument.

I see some similarities, but not enough to call them variations of the same character.

I see what you mean Ookla, but I have to at least partially disagree.  It's the old nature vs nurture debate.  I think that if the root psyche that was Topaz or Raoden had been born into Kelsier's lot in life they may have turned out very much like Kelsier and vice-versa.

We are not totally molded by our environments and neither are these characters.  I noticed the same thing between Brandon's books, they always include a really optimistic never say die character.  And I see a lot of that in Brandon.
I think it's an important strength of his writing that these characters who are so similar at their cores are so powerfully and believably molded by their histories into such unique personalities.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Linternet

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2006, 05:51:02 PM »
Raoden and Kelsier share charisma and a "can do" attitude.  That's where I feel the similarities stop.

** ELANTRIS SPOILERS BELOW ***

Kelsier struck me as a weaker person than Raoden (From a mental standpoint - nothing to do with the relative powers of each) Aside from Kelsier's dark side, which I don't think is in Raoden's makeup,  I got the impression that Kelsier was defined by his powers; he lived for revenge and snapping into the powers of a Mistborn empowered him to get it.   Raoden went from Prince, to little more than an animal, to a near god, and remained Raoden.  The tools at his disposal changed but the same person, driven by a desire to make everything around him better, remained.  Had Kelsier not snapped into Allomancy (and, by some other miracle, escaped the Pits) I think his wife's death would have broken him.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2006, 07:02:21 PM »
ELANTRIS AND MISTBORN SPOILERS

I disagree that Raoden is a stronger person than Kelsier. I don't think that Raoden was tested as strongly as Kelsier was. True, Raoden lost his lifestyle, and the comfort of being a prince when he became an Elantrian. True, he also nearly became a Hoed. Kelsier was tortured by the Lord Ruler, tortured by the fact that he was torn between love for his wife and his nagging suspicion that she might have betrayed him (to say nothing of the fact that she was executed, I believe with him being forced to watch), forced to work to support his worst enemy, and so on. Also, his solution to all of this meant that he would very likely be forced to sacrifice himself for others. And, throughout it all, he maintained his sense of humor. Even when he showed signs of being concerned, at least part of it was concern for how things would work out for everyone else once he was gone. Raoden was a good character, but, in my opinion, nowhere near Kelsier.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus