Author Topic: Mistborn reactions - SPOILERS  (Read 20049 times)

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn reactions - SPOILERS
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 03:17:05 AM »
I disagree demented, I don't think that, in a book, you can ever say that what someone did is more important than how they did it. Otherwise, plotlines become arbitrary, and the author is just playing around. True, fantasy mixes the possible with the impossible, but there have to be reasons and explanations for the impossibilities, otherwise the reader will never be able to relate to the book.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

demented_yam

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 06:49:42 AM »
I disagree demented, I don't think that, in a book, you can ever say that what someone did is more important than how they did it. Otherwise, plotlines become arbitrary, and the author is just playing around. True, fantasy mixes the possible with the impossible, but there have to be reasons and explanations for the impossibilities, otherwise the reader will never be able to relate to the book.

I'm not saying that it should be that way all the time, but if he wrote a page in there with all the details of how heavily guarded the mines were and the pros/cons of putting more troops there, a lot of the impact of the scene would be lost, especially since his attack was a spur-of-the-moment thing in retaliation for Marsh's (presumed) death

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 02:04:26 PM »
That may be true, but he could have given an explanation earlier in the text, when the moment would have been lost. In my opinion, he implied the reasoning for it throughout the text, so that the moment wasn't lost, yet it could be safely assumed that Kelsier was well within his skill limitations.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2006, 08:27:55 PM »
All I can say is this was a far more enjoyable book than Elantris and was handled better. That and hurry up with MB 2! ;)
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 06:16:37 AM »
Just finished and one thing kept bugging me, and I really wish EUOL would bother to ask me about such things, but with all that ash in the sky for that long of period the Mistborn world would probably have been one giant Popsicle.  Volcanic ash and sulfuric acid when high in the atmosphere can block the sun's rays and thus heat from the sun, it wouldn't raise the temperature as EUOL had it doing it would have lowered it.  This has actually happened several times in the World causing Ice ages, most recent one was about 200 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_ice_age#Volcanic_activity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_A_Summer

So in fact Central Dominance wouldn't have been more like Alaska due to the ash since before the ash mountains it was already a cold place.

Besides that it was a good book, though Alloymancy didn't work for me really.  Like the powers and effects but burning the metals, to improbable for me and it distracted too much from the story.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 06:33:25 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 11:52:19 AM »
I think I did ask about how plants would grow at all with the ash blocking the sun. I don't think I ever got an answer, and decided it was just something I had to go with.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 01:28:35 PM »
The Lord Ruler changed the plants physically so they could grow in the ashy enviro. I think I read this in the 2nd book but it's also in the 3rd (which is awesome! I just finished it!)

Also, the plants became all boring and brown thanks to the Lord Ruler.

Oh, and as to the ash making the world colder, I swear I asked that question in my comments I gave to EUOL for the 1st book... I'll have to look at the notes on my ibook when I get home!  8)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 01:28:56 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 01:29:45 PM »
Just finished and one thing kept bugging me, and I really wish EUOL would bother to ask me about such things, but with all that ash in the sky for that long of period the Mistborn world would probably have been one giant Popsicle. Â Volcanic ash and sulfuric acid when high in the atmosphere can block the sun's rays and thus heat from the sun, it wouldn't raise the temperature as EUOL had it doing it would have lowered it. Â This has actually happened several times in the World causing Ice ages, most recent one was about 200 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_ice_age#Volcanic_activity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_A_Summer

So in fact Central Dominance wouldn't have been more like Alaska due to the ash since before the ash mountains it was already a cold place.

Besides that it was a good book, though Alloymancy didn't work for me really. Â Like the powers and effects but burning the metals, to improbable for me and it distracted too much from the story.

You obviously give me too little credit, Sprig.  Read the next two books before you pass judgment on my scientific inabilities.

Hint:  Instead of asking "Why didn't Brandon realize there would be a nuclear winter" ask "Why did the Lord Ruler WANT there to be a nuclear winter on the planet.  And, if THIS is a nuclear winter, exactly how close is the planet to the sun...."

Both questions will be answered.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 01:52:19 PM »

Both questions will be answered.  

Yep. I for one was satisfied with the answers on the enviro. Good job, EUOL.

Hey, just a heads up: I'll be sending you my typed comments on Mistborn III very, very soon. hehehe ;D
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 02:02:26 PM »

You obviously give me too little credit, Sprig.  

I never give you any credit, you should know that by now, it just feeds your ego.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 02:02:35 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 06:35:44 PM »
And yet you build him an awesome site that he can bragg about and show off to his fans.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2006, 03:52:59 PM »
Yes, well, Sprigg enjoys those who "bragg" of his work. ;) Who wouldn't.
--Spriggan

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2006, 03:20:44 PM »
I'm just waiting for the scene in book two where they meet up with the Lord Ruler's widow, Lady Protractor.
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2006, 04:11:18 PM »
I shouldn't give book 2 spoilers, but in addition to Lady Protractor's appearance, there's the return of the Lord Ruler's now-leaderless band . . . the Slide Rulers.

Without the pewter-enhanced stage antics and hands-free guitar solos (steel-string guitar, folks) the band hasn't been the same.  I skipped their last concert.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 04:11:36 PM by CtrlZed »

GLE

• Level 3
  • blah blah blah blah blah.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2006, 03:38:43 PM »
Book 2 and 3? ... i wish i could read those now. lol. good job with Mistborn! it was amazing!!!! keep it up, i wanna buy the next book already, guess i will have to read ur other books again while i wait.  Also guys. lay off. enjoy the books. dont try to make it so complicated....  ;D lol