Author Topic: Operation: Mistborn Costume  (Read 9866 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Operation: Mistborn Costume
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2006, 05:33:15 PM »
Shrain--and anyone else who wants some--fire me off your street address (via email) and I'll send you a handful of cards.  I'd be honored to have you passing them out.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2006, 06:58:06 PM »
Nessa should just post a price and offer to make more for anyone willing to pony up the dough. She'd make bank.

Heh. If I didn't go crazy first.

The price of supplies isn't nearly as bad as the price per hour I would charge, because it's time consuming to make. I'd probably charge about $120 per each mistcloak (that would include supplies, but not shipping). But then EUOL would probably want a royalty or something and then I'd be in trouble.  ;)

I'm not telling what I charged Shrain. She got the extra-special rate because it was my first and because she's Shrain.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 10:20:57 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2006, 08:23:20 PM »
No royalty needed here, Nessa.  That's your art, not mine.  

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2006, 01:21:09 AM »
Well, there is the whole "derivative work" thing in copyright... Plus, is the word "Mistborn" trademarked?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2006, 11:55:08 PM »
Shrain--and anyone else who wants some--fire me off your street address (via email) and I'll send you a handful of cards.  I'd be honored to have you passing them out.

Woot! Thanks, EUOL. I will email you my street addy this minute. :)

Also, check this out--a sleek glass (obsidian) "mistknife" of my very own! hehe
[Sorry the pics are so big... I tried to make them smaller but it didn't "take."]

Next up... coin pouch and glass vials filled with a cocktail of metal shavings! Plus I need to make a belt to hold the vials...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 11:57:06 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2006, 01:50:58 AM »
Well, there is the whole "derivative work" thing in copyright... Plus, is the word "Mistborn" trademarked?

Party pooper.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2006, 04:06:36 AM »
;) If  the books suddenly become super-famous and Taiwanese companies start mass-producing mistcloaks, they might point to this thread as evidence that brandon given carte blanche for mistcloak production! (Not saying that's what he's done, but still.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2006, 04:08:37 PM »
Ookla,

Copyright gets sticky in this area.  First off, Mistborn isn't trademarked--you don't tend to buy any trademarks for books unless they get very, very popular.  Though if someone tried to use it and produce things based on my work for large commercial profit, then I might have grounds for a legal battle.

The derivative works clause also starts to lose power when you change mediums.  For instance, someone is allowed to do a drawing based on Lord of the Rings and sell it as their own work, with no copyright problems.  In fact, you can DRAW the movie poster exactly, and then sell it, and it's considered your own work.  

Copyright is a lot less clear-cut than sometimes people like to think.  Mostly, it depends on how the judge feels about whether or not the new work is cutting into profits of the original.  

So, if I were producing my own Mistcloaks, and I wanted to bay the ridiculous amount of money it took to register the Mistcloak trademark, then I could PROBABLY sue that company in China.  However, they could just change the name of theirs to "Mistgoer's Cloak" or something like that and be just fine.  They can be inspired by my work and create a product without officially infringing upon me.  Just like someone could read Harry Potter, produce and sell 'Wizard's Wands' that look like the ones described, and be in no trouble at all--as long as they didn't call them Harry Potter wands.  (And that's only because Harry Potter is trademarked.)

The long and short of this is that I--as I understand it--couldn't stop Nessa even if I wanted to.  She's not using anything trademarked, she's not competing with me, and she's not claiming to have official backing.  

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2006, 12:37:37 AM »
The long and short of this is that I--as I understand it--couldn't stop Nessa even if I wanted to.

Yeah, Nessa *is* rather unstoppable, huh. ;D

/me breathes out in relief because being illegal and getting sued is not so good. ;)

EUOL, hope you got my street addy.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 06:39:02 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2006, 04:31:53 PM »
You don't have to register a trademark to claim a trademark. Registering does help if it's being infringed upon though.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2006, 11:41:19 AM »
Aaaanyhow....

Much to my disgruntlement, I have learned that the guys coming to TWG-East: The Gathering 2006 have yet to plan their costumes. Inconceivable! No way I'm going to wear my costume only once this year.

Of course, being the resourceful mistborn noble that I am, I have devised some .... proper motivation. They can either choose their own costumes (whether they be scary, goofy, or just plain dumb) OR they can dress up as my Terrisman stewards. Bwaahahahaha!
--Spriggan

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2006, 12:00:25 PM »
How do you propose the Steward to be attired? I am not remembering the description of such persons?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2006, 12:58:15 PM »
Well, costume-wise, the distinctive thing that I recall are the layers of brightly colored strips of cloth that overlap to form a V-shape down the front and back of their tunics. I thought that would be really neat to see IRL too. Also, I think they wear more of a roman-type skirt rather than pants. Anyhow, those are the traditional duds of a Terris steward.

Plus, the Terrismen who are Keepers secretly wear lots of metal--until the Lord Ruler got snuffed, of course. Yep, earrings, rings, bracers, and the like for obvious reasons. ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 01:01:48 PM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2006, 09:33:14 PM »
Ta-da! My "mistbelt," complete with three vials of metal shavings, two vials of atium beads, and a coin pouch. The front of the belt features a strip of wavy fabric that's supposed to look kinda like swirling mist. The funny thing is that it turned out to look like an "S" too. Not a bad letter, imo. ;) Also, feast your eyes on my two glass knives. One of multi-flow black obsidian and one of skyscraper glass. I think I intimidated a few guys with these. hehe

While I haven't had time to upload all my pics, I do have one or two taken at the TWGE ("Twiggy") party:

Others to come.

P.S. EUOL, thanks for the Mistborn calling cards. They're pretty cool.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 09:49:21 PM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2006, 02:46:01 AM »
Awesome.