Author Topic: Operation: Mistborn Costume  (Read 9870 times)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Re: Operation: Mistborn Costume
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2006, 12:53:33 PM »
You have time as a stay-at-home mom?  That is not fair.  I'm a stay-at-home mom and I don't know what time is.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2006, 11:17:52 PM »
Well (cough), I had time because I neglected other things in my house, like vacuuming (black threads littering my floor for days), leaving my kids in their jammies all day, and general cleaning avoidance.

Sometimes I just have to forget all that mundane stuff and let myself do something fun, desipte the disaster it causes.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2006, 01:23:15 AM »
Ha! Don't believe a word of it, Sigyn. Superheroes always have to put on a "front" for everyone. All to throw us off the scent. ;)

Well, this weekend, I'm gonna hunt for some cool non-metal ring and maybe a bracelet. Do you guys think I should go with polished stone or maybe something all of wood? It can't be very "clunky" or biggish, though; that would inhibit fighting.

Anyhow, the way I figure it, the particular Mistborn (*name withheld to prevent spoiler*) whom I'll be impersonating is rather stylish. Hey, if I'm gonna do this thing, I'll do it right!

Besides, it sure would be swell to get my mind off the maddening stuff that life has thrown at me lately. I'm flying solo *again* in the perms dept at work because Amy got lured away by Houghton. waaaaa! :'( Plus, I'm embattled with Emerson over a ridiculous technicality with my internship. But, heck, I only stand to lose my scholarship, tuition, and my sanity. Nothing to stress about, right?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 01:39:20 AM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2006, 07:10:10 PM »
Shrain, it's in the mail. Should be there Monday or Tuesday.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Lost_Kyte

• Level 2
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2006, 03:35:58 AM »
Wow that is just too awesome! I feel like my halloween plans pale in comparison xD That's beautiful work!
a night light is often needed to guide my way.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2006, 05:24:13 PM »
It's here! My mistcloak is here! The mailroom just brought it to my cubicle. YAY. :D (I had it sent to my work--nerdy, I know--but sometimes the post office and other mail carriers won't leave my mail outside my door!)

/me yells in glee and tries to resist rushing to the ladies' room to try it on.

Oh, I love the "designer label," Nessa! It's so professional looking and everything. I'll post a pic of it tonight! I also found some metal flakes and so forth. Still need some glass vials and assorted other items. Look for pics later. :)

Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2006, 12:10:21 AM »
Okey dokey. As promised, here are a few pics of my costume! The cloak fits just right, Nessa! Look at the great skirt I found--it looks like it's made out of paneling just like the mistcloak! Weird, huh.

Oh, but remember folks, I still don't have my knives, belt, coin pouch, and sundry metal shavings--yet. But I do have what's most important....

Got Atium? Well, I do. (I'm richer than rich, naturally.)

Other Metals Have I..

Oh, and lest anyone doubt the authenticity of this amazing mistcloak, witness the following:

Clearly, Nessa rocks!
P.S. Yep, that's me with *red* hair! :D My hair was reddish anyhow, and well, I went in just for some highlights and, uh, sorta decided it would be cool to amp up the color. hehe 8)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 12:11:29 AM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2006, 12:36:07 AM »
So...can I post these on my blog?  

And, if so, do either of you want links to your blogs/websites along with the pictures?  

Let me know and I'll throw them up on Wednesday.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2006, 02:17:57 AM »
That looks great, Shrain and Nessa!
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2006, 02:19:58 AM »

And, if so, do either of you want links to your blogs/websites along with the pictures?  

Let me know and I'll throw them up on Wednesday.  

That's fine. I have blogged it, too (but unfortunately my comments section is momentarily down  :().

Edit: Oh, and Shrain, I can't believe you posted a picture of that label! That's too funny. And it shows off my shoddy quick hand-stitching job.  :-[
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 03:27:22 AM by Nessa »

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2006, 09:13:45 PM »
Thanks, Stacer! I wish I'd gotten a good pic of me with the hood up, but I can do that once I've got the rest of my cool gear put together. ;)

Nessa, that label is priceless! Shoddy? bah! I bet even Breeze wouldn't find fault with it. ;D

/me ponders the scary yet also cool ramifications of that thought. Me wishes she'd taken better pics but then again...

Um... sure! Why not? It'll be awesome to show Nessa's handiwork off and to show how nifty the book is and all. Besides, I guess it's kind of a nerdy honor but an honor nonetheless, eh? ;) Feel free to post the sketches and "progress" pics too, if you have space and want to do that. I don't really keep my blog updated, so don't worry about linking to it.

Oh, and EUOL, I was also thinking it would be *very* handy to have some of those Elantris/Mistborn cards of yours. I am going to at least two parties, one at the publisher where I work and the other at the stake party. If I had some cards, I could stash them in my mistcloak belt and hand them over to folks who show some real interest. Nothing like a walking, talking character to create a buzz! What do you think?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 09:15:16 PM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2006, 09:24:00 PM »
That is definately "pretty freaking cool." When you arrive in DC you must be wearing that garment, lest we decide instead some other insidious plot to capture you at the redevous point.

I can't wait to see the entire thing completely finished.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2006, 01:36:27 AM »
I agree with Gemm and everyone, it looks awesome. Can't wait to see more pics!  ;D

Having cards to handout would definitely be a good idea. Free publicity for EUOL, if he wants it.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2006, 03:11:45 PM »
Shrain, you have no idea just how jealous I am of you right now.  That is the coolest costume idea!  And I'm with Chimera, can't wait to see more pictures!
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2006, 05:06:10 PM »
Nessa should just post a price and offer to make more for anyone willing to pony up the dough. She'd make bank.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net