Author Topic: Operation: Mistborn Costume  (Read 9871 times)

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
Re: Operation: Mistborn Costume
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 03:33:45 AM »
Wow, that's really nice of you Nessa to make this costume for Shrain. I'm also excited to see the finished product. Yay for Mistborn!
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Miriel

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 12:02:28 PM »
From someone who does know how to flintknap obsidian and make knives...it's a little hard to tell from the lighting in the pictures, but it looks like those were made from a grinding/cutting process, and not from actual flintknapping.  So, they're probably relatively fragile, won't hold an edge well, and won't take to resharpening well, and shouldn't cost as much as a real flintknapped knife.  Seeing as they're for show, probably not a problem, but I thought I'd pitch in my two cents on the knives.  (Also, if the one that looks like it's made out of chert really is chert, it should be more resiliant to fracturing than the obsidian).

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 12:41:45 PM »
Here's the hood:

I think the fabric for the hood is the perfect shade and I love the swirly pattern. Unfortunately, the fabric was from a previous project and is no longer available at the store, otherwise I would have used more of it on the streamers.

The whipstitching detail:

So all the streamers are on and trimmed and the whipstitching to the yoke is finished. I have a few more details to attend to and then it will be finished! Fell might come over today to pick up a book, so maybe he could model it for me?  ;D

And here's my cat playing in the streamers. He's grey/white, so blends in quite well, doncha think?

« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 07:25:26 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 02:04:22 PM »
This thread is awesome to levels I cannot describe.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 02:10:54 PM »
I've seen guys who flintknap with old glass bottles--in actuality creating glass knives.  Maybe there's something like that on ebay.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 02:14:27 PM »
This thread is awesome to levels I cannot describe.

Yay!! We have the "Maker's" approval, Nessa!

From someone who does know how to flintknap obsidian and make knives.... it looks like those were made from a grinding/cutting process, and not from actual flintknapping.

You know how to flintknap? That's awesome! But, uh, darnit... you think these *weren't* made authentically? Ack! The eBay listings say they were flintknapped by "internationally collected flintknapper Tony Stanfield" and the guy's web site looks legit: Obsidian Arts.

Can you take a look? Give me your opinion? And, hey, if these are machine made or "fake," would you consider letting me pay you to make some killer Mistborn knives?? ;D

I think the fabric for the hood is the perfect shade and I love the swirly pattern.

Wow, the hood is neat. I like it with that fabric.

So all the streamers are on and trimmed and the whipstitching to the yoke is finished. I have a few more details to attend to and then it will be finished!

I'll say it again: sheesh, woman! How do you work so fast? How many streamers do you think you've used?

Fell might come over today to pick up a book, so maybe he could model it for me?  ;D

Hey, now! No fair! Fell can't be wearing my cloak before I do. /me pouts

And here's my cat playing in the streamers.

What a cutie. I bet stacer will like that pic too. :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 02:16:30 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 03:14:48 PM »
I am nowhere near this cool. However I have an undead warlock on World of Warcraft that I named "Elantrian".
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 04:27:25 PM »
What a cutie. I bet stacer will like that pic too.  

I just saw it and I do love it. Cute cat! One of my cats is having a tummyache problem and I put all the food away overnight to help it work out of his system, and he was not liking me very much. But he was still hilariously cute when I had friends over last night to teach knitting. Three women in the room, all with yarn--who does he attack first?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 05:07:45 PM »
I would love to model it, but I will refrain if Shrain wants to be the first. I am stopping by to get that book, though, so I'll at least check it out.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2006, 05:31:05 PM »
Yes, I say! Shrain say refrain! ;)  
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 05:31:16 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Miriel

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2006, 07:05:16 PM »
I went through his website, and there are definetly some pieces that look like they were taken off an obsidian core and thinned the old fashioned way.  So, you're probably fine.  The pictures posted here just looked really odd (like on the white one, where you can't see any flaking scars except for where the edge was put on) -- and a lot of commercial obsidian knives are cut and then touched up with some knapping to make them look authentic.  Really, I wouldn't worry about it.  I just thought I'd mention that they might be more fragile than ancient obsidian knives, which would probably be true anyway because these are for display, not butching game or decapitating prisoners.  Sorry for rocking the boat -- I hope your costume turns out great!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2006, 08:08:25 PM »
I just saw it and I do love it. Cute cat!

Thanks, his name is Panda and he's 4 years old. He's been a good cat and gets along well with little kids. We're lucky to have such an agreeable cat.

He also likes to watch me when I'm hand quilting. He finds it waaay too fascinating.

How many streamers do you think you've used?

About fifty around the body and 7 short ones for each arm. It's not 'hundreds' of streamers like in the book, but I really didn't have the patience or know-how to get that complicated.  If you want, Shrain, when you get it you can 'rip' the existing streamers into narrower ones (nick the spot with scissors and tear the fabric until it's the length you want--that's how I did the original streamers). Since all the streamers have a rough edge (torn or cut and basted), this shouldn't be a problem, and you won't have to worry about hemming them. I would recommend you only try that with the cotton streamers, though, and not the silky ones.  ;)

Also, the finished piece is relatively long. I cut it to my ankle-length, and since I'm taller than you, you may want to shorten some of them (their lengths vary). I tried walking upstairs with it...and it's easy to trip on because unlike a skirt, you can't hold the whole thing up with two hands.

Of course I tried it on (no pictures, though, that privledge is refrained for Shrain) and I must say it's rather comfy.

Anyway, I sewed on the buttons today and finished the last of the whipstitching. I will put it in the mail by the end of this week. Yay! I bought the fabric on Friday, and spent the next 4 days sewing it. Yes, it took a while, and although it seems to have gone fast in this thread, it really did take a good chunk of time (heck, I'm a stay-at-home-mom, I had time).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 09:48:32 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2006, 09:54:01 PM »
I dropped by after work and I can testify that it is indeed awesome. Well done Nessa.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2006, 10:18:03 PM »
OK. Thanks, Miriel. :)

Go, Nessa! Those tips are helpful. I probably will do a little ripping here and there with the cotton fabrics. And I don't want to break my head open while falling down the stairs. So I might shorten the overall length. Anyhow, you're going to send me the scraps and the rest of the thread, right? then I can make a belt with pockets for the vials, etc.

But, hey, before you send off your masterpiece to me, don't forget to create your own designer label and sew it inside! ;) Hmmm. You know, some time I may even see if EUOL will sign one of the streamers of something. heheh

Fell, thanks for the thumbs up testimonial. I'm feeling like it's Christmas in October. ;D

Stacer, I hope your kitty's tummy gets better. Soon!
--Spriggan

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2006, 11:30:10 PM »
I dropped by after work and I can testify that it is indeed awesome. Well done Nessa.

Thanks!  :)

Shrain, I also wanted to mention that it's machine washable! However, you may want to stuff it in a pillowcase or other large garment bag before you wash it, otherwise the streamers get very tangled, and threads get all unraveled (yes, I know this from experience).  Also, after washing, expect to spend a little while ironing it...all that cotton, you know.

Anyhow, you're going to send me the scraps and the rest of the thread, right? then I can make a belt with pockets for the vials, etc.

Naturally, although I think I used up most of it. There's also an extra button.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 11:34:19 PM by MrsNessaC »