Author Topic: Operation: Mistborn Costume  (Read 9869 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Operation: Mistborn Costume
« on: October 10, 2006, 05:00:55 PM »
Last week Shrain and I were IMing and she was wishing she had a cool costume for Halloween this year. In particular she wanted to be a Misborn noble (she'll tell you the name), but didn't think she could make the costume. She enlisted my help. So, this past weekend I began the planning stages for Operation: Mistborn Costume!
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
Re: Operation: Mistborn Costume
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 05:04:55 PM »
We did some brainstorming and came up with a few concept sketches. My dumb, quick drawing, and Shrain's cool, colored one.

Originally I was thinking 2" wide streamers, but we decided on 4" to 5" wide streamers (they vary a little). It's less bulky that way and easier to wear (and to make). Streamers are *not* sewn on each other, but will be whip-stitched in random places.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 05:19:53 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 05:07:47 PM »
Whoohoo! My costume is going to be wicked awesome now that I have successfully enlisted the help of Nessa "Whirlwind" Christenson! We plotted, she did a quick sketch then had me do my own and wham-o! She was already done with the base layers. Sheesh.

Stay tuned for more pics! I've already scouted out some lovely obsidian blades and such. :D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 05:11:55 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 05:18:14 PM »
So I bought the fabric and I must say here that grey fabric is not to be found in abundance in any local fabric stores. We decided to make it using a variety of fabrics in order to maximize on the grey fabrics that were available, and to give it interest.

Left ---> right

Black stretchy stuff: to be used for the yoke (the yoke is used as a base to attach the hood and streamers to for added sturdiness, although it will be mostly obsecured).

Black satin: Used in the streamer under-layer that 'peeks' from under the lighter grey.

Plain grey: For the top layer that will be mixed in and overlap with...

Grey pattern: Also part of the top layer.

Grey pattern #2: The hood and hood lining.

Black gauzy: Used a little here and there, mostly in the under-layer, for variety and added interest.

Also included will be wooden toggle buttons. Sorry for the terrible picture.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 02:00:21 AM by MrsNessaC »

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 05:26:07 PM »
You did good, Nessa. I hadn't realized it would be so tough to find good grays. The black silk will be especially awesome in contrast with the others.

Gee, I sort of feel like I'm this fabulously rich person who's having a one-of-a-kind designer outfit made for a trip to the Oscars. lol.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 05:27:08 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 05:27:32 PM »
This is pretty cool. I can't wait to see the finished product.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 05:56:51 PM »
Who's making the glass knives?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 06:54:31 PM »
Lets keep everything Brandon Book related to his forum please.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 09:54:55 PM »
Lets keep everything Brandon Book related to his forum please.

Hey, it's okey dokey with us. Nessa and I just weren't sure if it would be "kosher" to put in in EUOL's forum. Actually, we asked SE what he thought and he suggested Rants or Everything Else. So there ya go.
Gemm, thanks! I can't wait to wear the finished product!

Who's making the glass knives?

As much as I'd like to say "me" or "my good friend and maker of exotic knives," I must say that I'll be relying on eBay. I haven't found anything that even came close in the costume shops, but I found some stunning obsidian knives on eBay.

Here's a very unique one with red and black obsidian. The red sorta looks like blood. I think my mistborn (*name withheld to prevent spoiler*) would like that. ;)

This one is cool too; the multi-colored stone looks like swirls of the mist itself, don't you think?

Sweet, huh! I also need to fill up some vials with bits of metal flakes, get myself a coin pouch (pennies will work for boxings I suppose), and a killer black outfit to wear under the cloak.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 10:49:20 AM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 10:49:36 PM »
Those are awesome knives, whether or not they're what's intended in the book, and I think they'd go well with the costume!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 11:35:43 PM »

Hey, it's okey dokey with us. Nessa and I just weren't sure if it would be "kosher" to put in in EUOL's forum. Actually, we asked SE what he thought and he suggested Rants or Everything Else. So there ya go.
Gemm, thanks! I can't wait to wear the finished product!

Ya the reason why I moved this, and other brandon related threads, is he doesn't check the other boards as often so he may miss something that he'd want to see.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 01:27:10 AM »
Those knives look great, but expensive. How much are they?

As for the costuem itself, I think it sounds like an awesome idea. I'm interested in seeing how you manage to make it not look like a Ghillie suit.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 02:08:38 AM »
After buying the fabric, I cut it into lengths, also basting the silky stuff because it unravels easily.

I created my own pattern using Shrain's measurements (no, I'm not going to post them, don't ask!), cut out the pieces for the yoke and sewed it togther.

Sure, Mistborn describes the cloak as "...hundreds of long, ribbonlike strips. They were sewn together at the shoulders and across the chest..." (pg 86) and I'm sure it could be sewn together that way, but not by a sane person with access to a sewing machine. The purpose of the yoke is as an anchor for the streamers and for a stable place to sew the hood, sleeves, and buttons; otherwise they would flop around and I don't have the couture skills to make it authentic as described.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 02:01:11 AM by MrsNessaC »

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 02:17:19 AM »
Man, this looks cool, you so have to post a pic of what it looks like finished and with Shrain wearing it!
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 02:17:33 AM »
Next I began sewing the grey streamers to the yoke (the top layer).

Then I created the sleeves (which have their own little streamers), attached streamers to the underarm, and added the hood.