Author Topic: Roleplaying Mistborn?  (Read 10750 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Roleplaying Mistborn?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 03:01:36 AM »
I want to read that fic, if it pulls it off.

(I'd never seen that flash thing before. Funny.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 09:08:35 AM »
I'd be disappointed simply because Vin doesn't seem to have  a reason to randomly murder skaa children. As for setting herself up as empress, that would rock.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 10:28:49 AM »
Believe it or not, FMP, I wouldn't mind.  I'm confident in the writing I do, and in its characterization.  I wouldn't feel threatened by someone who decided to interpret it differently, even in extremes.  I may not READ it, but I wouldn't be bothered to know it exists.  That only means that the story was powerful enough to make people want to experience more in the world.

Lost_Kyte,

That looks way cool.  I'll post it on my blog today.  I do want to give you a couple of comments, though.

First, I don't know how many people you'll be able to draw over from this site to play with you.  The truth is I'm still a new author, and don't have an extremely large fanbase yet.  A lot of the people posting here are TWG members, not necessarily Brandon Sanderson fans.  (Though they've probably read my books, they're people who were on these boards long before I got published, and while they suffer my presence with decorum, aren't necessarily the types to go role play in one of my worlds.)

The second is that I don't know that I, myself, will be able to participate.  I can give you help, maybe drop by occasionally.  However, this is where we get into legal problems.  If I hang out in the game too much, and then people see me using (they thing) storylines from the game in my books, I could actually get sued for stealing content from the players.  It has, unfortunately, happened to authors before.  (Author allows a fanfic or other fan-produced story, author reads it, it sounds like something the author is writing.  Author gets sued by the writer of the fanfic.)

So, while I wholeheartedly support this, I can't play much!  I DO hope, however, you can draw in people from outside to play along.  This would be particularly cool if there are people who haven't read my books, since this might encourage them to do so!  

Anyway, let me know if there's anything else I can do to help you.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Lost_Kyte

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 01:06:35 PM »
The concerns expressed above are the reason why I wanted to create a conservative RP first so we can see how it fares. Siri, the other member, and I have talked about placing it a few centuries before Kelsier and his crew. Thus although we know they're doomed to fail it should keep people from god-moding and doing silly things.

Brandon, I couldn't be more grateful that you are a new author. I've been RPing for the last 11 years online and getting things setup can be slow, as you've said. I know quite a few different ways to recruit and I'm drawing up some basic charts as we speak to help orient the newbies. I am ambitious enough to hope to attract non-readers to the site. :)

I would love it if you came by! Especially once we have more members. I'll push hard these next few weeks to see who I can attract. I completely understand your legal dilemma though.

What's TWG?
a night light is often needed to guide my way.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 01:12:04 PM »
TWG = Time Waster's Guide.

the URL/Site you're soaking in.

Since many of us who run the show have been long-time friends of Brandon, we have an arrangement with Brandon. We host the message board for his site, which means we get potential crossover traffic, and he doesn't have to build a community from scratch, so his boards are busier than a new site's normally would (which helps people stay around). It's a mutually beneficial arrangement
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 01:14:00 PM by SaintEhlers »

Lost_Kyte

• Level 2
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 01:17:19 PM »
Oh, yes I see how that works out well for both of you :) Good idea! I'm quite enjoying my time here.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2006, 01:19:54 PM »

(I'd never seen that flash thing before. Funny.)

It's quite old Ookla, probably made before you were a regular here.  I was playing around with doing animations in Flash all involving "Flash Fell" and all dealt with conversations from the forum.  Like one was Entropy trying to kill Fell with candy.  Sir Carl and the Grey Knight was the last one in the series, and the only one to feature someone besides Fell (EUOL in this case).
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 01:29:38 PM »
Ah, I'd almost forgotten about that.  My face on a dancing block-figure.  What a classic.  

Someday I will have my revenge.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 02:46:09 PM »
Do all of those old flash animations still exist somewhere, Sprig?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 03:13:38 PM »
On my backup hard drive at home.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 03:13:48 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Lost_Kyte

• Level 2
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2006, 05:28:32 PM »
I feel sort of bad asking this but I'm looking for the names of all the Houses in Mistborn. I know Venture and Elariel but can't remember (nor spell) the others. Is there a list somewhere?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2006, 05:40:00 PM »
Good chunk are named after TWG people, either real names or TWG nicknames.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2006, 05:40:05 PM »
There's a list in the book. ;)

I'm quite proud of my position on the members' list of this forum, but didn't start coming here regularly until I was in Japan, so I missed out on a lot.

But I think most people here are at least midly fans of Brandon's writing, if not fanatical. And then there are his friends, relatives, and stalkers.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Lost_Kyte

• Level 2
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2006, 05:52:54 PM »
Ah ha! It's part of the map, I see! Thanks! How awesome that he named them for his friends. :)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2006, 11:32:07 PM »
My wife and I are currently reading Mistborn out loud, and when I got to the part where our last name is mentioned, I couldn't help but crack up. I don't think my name really blends well with the other names in the book. :)

Did you notice Tekiel posting in this thread? House Tekiel is named after her (not the other way around). The thread where Brandon solicited names for cameos in Mistborn is here. (Maybe it should be moved into the Brandon Sanderson forum out of Everything Else?) You'll see that a number of important names in the book come from there.

(Oh boy, I just read that thread through, and...wow, that thread is also MoD's announcement of the addition to her family, AND my pathetic return to this forum. Ouch!)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 11:33:13 PM by OoklaTheMok »