Author Topic: Just finished Mistborn  (Read 2864 times)

cvgurau

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • um, hello, my name is . . . . is this thing on?
    • View Profile
Just finished Mistborn
« on: November 11, 2006, 08:56:53 AM »
So . . . when's book 2 coming out?   :-/
If you write only when inspiration strikes, you'll never finish anything. -- Bob Mayer

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Just finished Mistborn
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 11:24:51 AM »
Try to get information from other threadsinstead of starting new ones with short/small subjects. It clutters up the forum.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 06:20:40 PM »
In his defense, that thread doesn't state in the title that it's book two.  I guess you could probably guess that, but there's no absolutely obvious indication there.

Book two is out in July.  Sample chapters will be up on my website sometime in the spring.  Until then, check our Warbreaker.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

cvgurau

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 06:32:40 AM »
Try to get information from other threadsinstead of starting new ones with short/small subjects. It clutters up the forum.

My most humble apologies.   :-[

In his defense, that thread doesn't state in the title that it's book two.  I guess you could probably guess that, but there's no absolutely obvious indication there.

Book two is out in July.  Sample chapters will be up on my website sometime in the spring.  Until then, check our Warbreaker.

I've been defended by the Overlord.

How cool is that?

*fanboy glee*

---

*ahem.

Anyway, I wait with bated breath for Book 2.   I can't wait to meet Vin and her friends again.  :)

The cover art looks fantastic.  8)

--

Having read the linked thread, I wonder: how does one become an AR?  Is there an application process?  Forms I have to fill out?  Will you do an extensive criminal check, because that might cause some problems.  ;)

Or am I hopelessly out of luck?  :-/
If you write only when inspiration strikes, you'll never finish anything. -- Bob Mayer

Lost_Kyte

• Level 2
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 05:21:57 PM »
Uhm, Brandon? I know you have the July release date... but what day exactly?

Jk Rowling is slated for 07.07.07 to end the Potter series. :/ That could be really bad for your book's sales if they come out very close together. Just a head's up! The next HP movie is also due out 07.13.07. It's a busy month for Rowling...
a night light is often needed to guide my way.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 04:17:34 AM »
I don't think Tor has a firm date yet and I doubt even more that EUOL has much say as to when his books come out, if that were the case MB2 would be out in like April.

The thing I'm wondering is if HP would hurt the sales of MB2?  The people that tend to by books like MB right when they come out are the type that buy several books a month so if they come out around a week apart you may not notice much of a loss for MB2.  Be interesting to know if any of the people in the know, well...know about this?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 04:20:16 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 09:12:55 AM »
That's an interesting thought. Casual fantasy readers won't be buying many more books than HP that week or the next couple. But then they'll be back. So, i'm guessing that *if* they were released that close, it might lose sales for the first week or so, but then come back.

Kuntrey_Pilgrum

• Level 4
  • One by one, the penguins stold my sanity....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 11:17:28 AM »
But, also, a lot of bookstores have things where they have big parties and then release the book at Midnight. I, myself, normally buy 2 or 3 books while I wait. Standing in a bookstore with nothing to read would be a drag. :'( So, if MB2 comes out before then, that's probably when I'd get it.
 I know several other people who do the same thing, but then most of my friends still have their parents paying for everything. Hmm.... Anyway, just giving an outsider's perspective.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 11:20:00 AM by Kuntry_Bumpken »
No Ninja Monkey can stand up to my Penguin Commandos! ATTACK!!!!

"This has to be an indicator of insanity. Not only am I talking to myself, i'm refusing to speak to me!"

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 12:49:15 PM »
If it's closely related (such as a dragon book during the big hype for the movie for Eragon), then the other books can kinda ride on the PR bandwagon. People are thinking about dragons, their kids are wanting more dragon books, so here you go, another dragon book!

I don't think Mistborn is related enough to Harry Potter to be affected one way or the other, except in the ways you guys have already talked about. It could be that people already in the bookstore to get HP could say, hmm, how about this book too? Or it could be that they only have $30 to spend on a book and choose HP over MBII. I suppose it could go either way. (I really don't know enough about the sales end of things to really say definitively.)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Lost_Kyte

• Level 2
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 09:12:46 PM »
Hmkay, well it was a thought. I'm hoping for MB2 to have a few weeks cushion around HP7.
a night light is often needed to guide my way.

cvgurau

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 10:39:01 PM »
So, no joy on the AR thing, huh?

I'm SOL, aren't I?   :-/

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 10:55:36 PM »
How do you become an AR for EUOL?   There's no forms or stuff, long time contributers to the forum and Brandon's books might be offered to become an AR.  Most of the people on that list are long time friends of his.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

cvgurau

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 06:15:03 PM »
Yeah, I thought as much. :-/

Honestly, I don't really think I would have anything worthwhile to contribute (except perhaps to point out a misplaced comma), I only wanted an advanced copy of MB2. ;D