Author Topic: Warbreaker: Free Ebook  (Read 248370 times)

Dount Cooku

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker: Free Ebook
« Reply #765 on: January 14, 2009, 08:49:15 PM »
Oh wow, I totally forgot about him!! I was about to ask who died when I remembered. Has it really been that long since I've read it!!??

Memory can be a fickle thing for sure.  Anything I've done more than a month ago is grounds for complete forgetfulness.

Actually, my problem isn't with memory.  My memory is perfect.  It's the retrieval system that's a bit flaky. :)

thelsdj

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 29, 2009, 12:50:26 AM »
Quick bug report in version 4.2:
Women chasing runaway geese, men pulling donkeys laden with spring seed, and children leading sheep the village on their way to pasture.

'leading sheep the village on their way' extraneous 'the village'?

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 29, 2009, 05:07:29 PM »
Or perhaps he meant "through the village".  Anyway, I don't think either Brandon Sanderson or his editors look at this thread for help at this point in the process.
He ate my horse.

Swiggly

• Level 4
  • Here's for trying, rhymes with dying
    • View Profile
    • Gaia Online Account
« Reply #768 on: February 11, 2009, 09:09:58 AM »
Ah, you underestimate him. [:
I want to be a publisher at Tor Fantasy when I grow up.

YAY

alSeen

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 16, 2009, 11:45:19 PM »
i read it before i joined this site. AWESOME BOOK!!!! the best Brandon Sanderson has wrote in my opinion.

Ishara

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: February 25, 2009, 03:04:01 AM »
Love the book and love the idea behind it.
Do need to point out an error wich is rather big. It's om page 627

“Let’s go,” Denth said, moving out into the darkness.
Denth should be Vasher. It throws me totally offbalance that she (Vivienne) should follow Denth all of a sudden when he wishes her harm...

Other then that. Great read so far. Keep up the good work and thanks for the stories.

Touya

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 02, 2009, 10:05:10 PM »
I've Just read Warbreaker 4.2 and I really enjoyed it, I'll be buying it when it comes out in hardback, since I don't like paperbacks. I have a tendency to read stories I like to death and I can getting much more mileage out of a good hardback (or more accurately, after a year or two I will still have what can still be technically classified as a book).

I'm really not very good with words, since I'm terrible at all forms of translating thoughts into a medium that is anywhere near coherent enough so that others can understand, so I ask you to forgive me beforehand.

Just two things during my reading that distracted me enough to pulled me out of the story, perhaps minor things, but significant enough to me that I thought I'd mention them.

1)
Ch1 pg13
Fortunately, her father had four living children, and Siri--at seventeen years of age--was the youngest. Fafen, the daughter just older than Siri, had done the family duty and become a monk. Above Fafen was Ridger, the eldest son. He would inherit the throne. And then there was Vivenna.

This suggest that the age of the four siblings, from youngest to oldest is Siri>Fafen>Ridger>Vivenna.

Ch44 Pg305
Ridger was right above me.
Then there was Fafen.
“After Fafen,” Siri said, “there’s just the eldest, Vivenna.

This suggest that the age of the four siblings, from youngest to oldest is Siri>Ridger>Fafen>Vivenna.

Am I misunderstanding one of the sections? and if not, could to tell me which one is it since it made me stop reading and had me jumping back and forth and rereading each part a few times trying to figure it out. As I said, probably a minor thing.

2)
Ch43 Pg293
He didn’t reply. “The BioChromatic Breaths you had,” he said. “You gave them to Denth?” She paused, thinking. “Yes.” He glanced at her, raising an eyebrow. “No,” she admitted, looking away. “I put them in the shawl I was wearing.”

He raised an eyebrow. “You escaped those ropes of mine without Awakening them?” She shook her head. “I guessed that Command.”

He just shook his head, pointing toward the shawl. “Your Breath to mine,” he said. “That’s the Command you want.” She laid her hand on the shawl and said the words. Immediately, everything changed.

Here you remind me that both the shawl and the rope have had breath put into them, but only show the breath in the shawl being recovered.
This left me a little excited with the feeling that the breath in the rope will be mildly important later on.

Ch46 Pg310
Time to practice, then, she thought, returning to the room. Inside, she pulled out a piece of rope--the one that Vasher had used to tie her up, the first thing that she had Awakened. She’d since retrieved the Breath from it.

Then 3 chapters later that I am just told that the breath in the rope was simply recovered earlier.
Once again perhaps a minor thing but it made me stop reading and think "Oh.........why didn't it just say that earlier?"
I was a little disappointed at how anti-climactic it was and it left me a little tainted in regards to plot items about forgotten breaths in object discovered at a later time.

Ch56 Pg379
His cloak slid slightly off his shoulder, falling against her cheek.
It couldn’t be, she thought. I escaped from him. I tried to Awaken his cloak, but used a bad Command. Could he have been dumb enough to keep wearing it?

Because I had been tainted earlier, instead of thinking "Oh! Nice one!" it reminded me of the disappointment from earlier and my mind I simply thought "Meh." and ruined this scene slightly for me.

I don't mean to criticise, just offering some feedback.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to read one of your books for free to see if I would enjoy your writing style and I have enjoyed it immensely.

I look forward to purchasing and reading Misborn, and should I enjoy those, your other books as well.

silver_kage

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 21, 2009, 10:49:40 AM »
WOW!!!!
This book was spectacular! It is definately one of the best that I have read. . . .
It reminds of the first book in the mistborn series back when kelsier (my favourite character) was still alive, while the next two mistborn were good they weren't quite as good without Kel in there.
But this was spectacular I particularly like the whole denth twist, whilst I liked him I wasn't happy with Vasher playing the role of an antagonist and the sinister feel I felt from Denth and his team when they came out was perfect.
I want more!!!!!!!

Eldiroth

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 24, 2009, 09:38:01 PM »
I'm not very far into version 6.1 so far, although I've read (and loved) the Mistborn books and Elantris.  This is shaping up to be another great book!  Just a quick editing note:

In version 6.1, Chapter 4, the following sentence:  "The priest was didn’t wait for a response, he just turned his horse and started back down the highway toward the city. " needs to have the word "was" deleted.

Probably would have been caught in the editing process anyway, just pointing it out!   ;D

Aryela

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 30, 2009, 09:05:29 AM »
Does Brandon read this?  He hasn't posted in this thread for a while...

Anyway, if you do read this, Brandon, I have sent email feedback.

Lovely story!  I really enjoyed the character inner conflicts.  Very well portrayed.

Ogge

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • ogrens website
« Reply #775 on: April 07, 2009, 07:53:15 AM »
Great reading! cheers! :)
"Kneel or you will be knelt."

www.sveaulvar.com

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #776 on: April 07, 2009, 02:01:55 PM »
I'd imagine EUOL is really busy right now.  He's talked about a mind numbing amount of work that has been growing nearly exponentially for about two years on his web site.

I do not know the man, but knowing a little bit about things work I imagine the following is how things fall.
Just the highlights:
Family
Warbreaker Edits
Final edits of the WoT split (which probably includes small rewrites on demand to fix issues).
Mistborne (sp?) merchandising to authorize or not.
Fan Mail
New Employee orientation (read that as letting someone else into the dark recesses of the laboratory. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!) :P

I have to say he probably needs someone to manage his business contacts and fan mail and personal time for forums or time wasting is probably not very accessible right now. 
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 08, 2009, 05:28:01 AM »
Warbreaker is long edited and in the can. It's probably at the printer by now. It will be out in two months, so the time is about right for that. It may even be finishing up and heading for distribution.

If you follow Twitter you can see Brandon is working on rapid final tGS edits.

He's definitely not reading the forum. If you click on his profile, you can see he hasn't logged in since November 9th. He is just too dang busy. That may change in the future, but it may not happen until after all 3 WoT books are done.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 28, 2009, 02:34:48 AM »
Does anyone know the exact or target date of release?  I need to know so that I can make other plans for June.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 28, 2009, 03:41:24 AM »
Amazon says June 9.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!