Author Topic: Warbreaker: Free Ebook  (Read 247212 times)

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker: Free Ebook
« Reply #750 on: December 02, 2008, 11:25:46 PM »
Oh, I can't wait for the release...I may actually have to take a solid ten hour drive to Provo for this one.  (I was going to do so for HoA, but my friends were too busy to go with...)

I think it's worth it... but then again, my drive was like ten minutes last time.  However, there were those who drove for eight hours straight and said it was worth it.  (If you don't believe me, ask miyabi)

miyabi, comments. :)  It would be ten hours one way (twenty total) all within about 30 hours.  Woo!
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 13, 2008, 05:00:04 AM »
Quick question-
What is the planet/land name for Warbreaker?

I know that Elantris is Opelon, and Mistborn is Scadrial.

But what is the name for Warbreaker?

Zas
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Roberts

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 15, 2008, 11:06:09 AM »
I hope the title doesn't get changed because the big reveal of in the last part, of who Warbreaker was, was one of my favorite moments, as well as Lightsong's final act. It made everything make so much sense
The cover art is beautifully done - it'll be great to have the book in hardback instead of in Microsoft Word!

One thing that was odd was "BioChroma" sounds a little too modern and technical, too Latin/Greek. It's weird when you expect all fantasy to be like Lord of the Rings or King Arthur. But it's not a big deal, it's good to be suprised. 

I never quite understood the differences between Tones and Colors though. Maybe I read too fast.

Kalieri

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 16, 2008, 04:42:59 AM »
I had been putting off  reading Warbreaker for a while now (only slightly due to an unhealthy Twilight addiction), but I got the flu this weekend and decided this was how I wanted to spend my couch time.

Anyway... well done!  I really enjoyed it!   I think I do like Warbreaker better than the Mistborn triolgy (though I love that, too), because as Brandon has said, it is a lot lighter.

And I read the 750 some posts ahead of me and I have some thoughts to share....

First, it seemed like many out there were perhaps annoyed by the constant comparison of the sisters, both by the sisters themselves, and by the author's timing of their development.  To me, this charcter development was perfect.  It seemed to me that this is exacyly how family dynamics work.  In families (at least in mine)  each sibling was defined in how they compared and contrasted to the others.  We found identity in how we were different from each other.  Many of us grow out of this as we go off on our own (some don't).  But this sort of is Siri and Viv's coming of age story.  Neither of them really figure out who they are and make peace with that until they go through these events (and I think Viv mostly found out who she's not, she still has to figue out the rest).  So anyway, psychoanalysis aside, I thought that aspect really rang true.  Well done.   :)

On the other hand, I wish Siri were a little less perfect.  We love her right away.  I almost wish that she had some internal conflict/quirk that made her a little less loveable.  I felt like we were given the opportunity to doubt or question everyone else, but we were always sure of her!   Now , don't get me wrong - she and Susebron were my favorite scenes in the book.  Just a thought.....

Lastly a random thought.  I couldn't picture Susebron's face.  I have an image for everyone else.  I just would have liked a little more to develop that image.  Maybe everyone else was just fine and there's a hole in my imagination.  I don't know... :)

Brandon, thanks so much for another great read.  I really enjoyed it.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 16, 2008, 06:25:18 PM »
I hope the title doesn't get changed because the big reveal of in the last part, of who Warbreaker was, was one of my favorite moments, as well as Lightsong's final act. It made everything make so much sense
The cover art is beautifully done - it'll be great to have the book in hardback instead of in Microsoft Word!

One thing that was odd was "BioChroma" sounds a little too modern and technical, too Latin/Greek. It's weird when you expect all fantasy to be like Lord of the Rings or King Arthur. But it's not a big deal, it's good to be suprised. 

I never quite understood the differences between Tones and Colors though. Maybe I read too fast.

Yeah, both those moments were epic for me.  I still picture that moment (the Warbreaker reveal) in my mind all the time.  Oh, I love that book.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

HellCold

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 30, 2008, 11:43:05 AM »
Just finished the book, giving a review later (I still can't contain my thoughts)

But I have a couple of questions that really need answering right now. First, when Vasher sneaked into Mercystar's palace, what was he after?

Second, who's the second intruder who entered and killed the servant right after Vasher sneaked in, as Lightsong had concluded?

Anybody knows?

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: December 30, 2008, 05:07:26 PM »
Just finished the book, giving a review later (I still can't contain my thoughts)

But I have a couple of questions that really need answering right now. First, when Vasher sneaked into Mercystar's palace, what was he after?

Second, who's the second intruder who entered and killed the servant right after Vasher sneaked in, as Lightsong had concluded?

Anybody knows?

Bold: I think he was just curious.  It means that their 'Gods' were hiding something.  Why would they need underground passage ways?  You use those to conceal your movement...and the 'Gods' shouldn't have to conceal anything.  Those are just my thoughts...  (It's been a while since I read it...so...meh)

The second intruder...I'm not exactly sure if I remember that part...I'm guessing it was Denth.  Or Bluefingers.  Probably Denth though...he's the agile one.
-Legacy of Kain

Kainan

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 03, 2009, 05:21:07 PM »
Hi all,

New face here  ;D I downloaded the latest Warbreaker doc from Brandon's site and so far, i like it (around page 30  ;) ).

I have not read all the 51 pages of this thread because i did not want to spoil my reading pleasure (I'm sure you guys have discussed a lot in here). The problem with that is, that i might ask a question that has already been asked (and answered) ... so I'm sorry if that's the case.

So here goes:

Is there a map somewhere for the Warbreaker world? I know that Brandon has maps for Elantris and Mistborn...so i hope he has one for this as well. Why? First, because i looove a good map  ;) Second, i like to follow the story on a geographical level as well.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Kainan

P.S.: A spell check for a forum-post?! Nice!  ;D

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 04, 2009, 06:58:24 AM »
You will most likely have to wait until the book comes out in the spring for a map of the Warbreaker world.  As far as I know EUOL hasn't released one yet.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 11, 2009, 05:07:40 AM »
Just finished it, and I LOVE it! My favorite character has to be Nightblood, what with his "Would you like to kill someone today?" introductions. Totally awesome.
Captain Commander of the Holy Vanguard of Kaz

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Come join us over at the Mistborn Forum RPG!
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mistborn/index.php?

RedMars11

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 13, 2009, 02:24:35 AM »
Okay, I haven't read this thread nor the book because I hate reading large texts online, and I am so glad a hardcover is coming out, but some questions regardless:

1.  Does this tie into the larger universe/multiverse/god knows what Mr. Sanderson's been building up in Elantris and Mistborn?

2.  Is it stand alone like Elantris, or clearly meant to lead to something else like the Final Empire but especially the Well of Ascension?

3.  Is the ending more along the lines of an Elantris, or the Hero of Ages?

Please don't bite my head off, since I'm probably repeating previously asked questions.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 13, 2009, 03:26:46 AM »
1. Yes. Hoid does make an appearance.

2. I believe that Sanderson has a sequel planned, but the book wraps up very nicely with few loose ends. I would consider it more like Elantris in that respect then Final Empire or Well of Ascension.

3. Do you mean as far as deaths go? I don't want to spoil anything for you but if I recall correctly no main characters die.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

RedMars11

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 13, 2009, 03:30:05 AM »
Thanks much.  Everything I wanted to know.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 13, 2009, 05:17:07 PM »
3. Do you mean as far as deaths go? I don't want to spoil anything for you but if I recall correctly no main characters die.

I would disagree with that last statement, unless you're defining "main character" very narrowly.  However, I would agree that the ending of Warbreaker is generally a happy rather than a bittersweet one - more like Elantris than Mistborn.  After all, some people we like die in Elantris too.
He ate my horse.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 13, 2009, 11:03:11 PM »
Oh wow, I totally forgot about him!! I was about to ask who died when I remembered. Has it really been that long since I've read it!!??
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!