Author Topic: Warbreaker: Free Ebook  (Read 234520 times)

Dellraun

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker: Free Ebook
« Reply #690 on: July 08, 2008, 03:47:37 PM »
The climax was rushed, seemed to pack to much in right at the end.  I also didn't care for the epliogue to much, seemed like a lame way to leave an opening for a sequel (Hey! Lets drop a hint about another D&D adventure at my house next week!).  My only other complaint would be about taking 'stored breaths' from an object. In Ch. 43 when Vasher gives Viv the shawl back he says he can't get them. But in the epilogue it mentions that they find Vasher's clothes and they split the breaths between them (unless Vasher took back some of the breaths and then gave them to Viv?). It's a small thing, but it really jumped out at me when I read that.

Overall it's a great book, and I can't wait to pick up. Along with Hero of Ages and A Memory of Light.

Utheran

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 17, 2008, 07:09:52 PM »
First I'd like to say I love the book and I'll definitely be buying it when it comes out. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or if it's important but I noticed a spelling mistake on page 202, on version 4.2:
"There was a hesitance about her.  Either she had not been trained for formal situations--witch Lightsong found difficult to believe, since she’d been raised in a palace--or she was a rather good actress.  He frowned inwardly."

I believe it should be which, not witch.

Thanks for the great works and I can not wait to read more.

sam_are_i

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 04, 2008, 04:58:46 PM »
Just finished the book this morning and really loved it.  Brandon doesn't have to worry about a lost sale with me as I will be adding Warbreaker to my collection once it's published.

Since we're constructively criticizing, in the scene where Siri and Susebron finally get down to business, she realizes that Susebron probably can't father any children, then seems to immediately forget about this revelation and worries about the consequences of sleeping with him.  From her perspective at this point in the book, danger will only arise if she becomes pregnant, correct?  If she knows she's not going to get pregnant by him, why worry?  I fully expected her to jump on him as soon as she figured this out, and her remaining concern about getting pregnant seemed inconsistent.

Vasher's ability to manipulate the memories of the priest's daughter also seemed out of place.  It showed his compassion, sure, but the child could have been left permanently scarred and the rest of the story would have been completely unaffected, IMO.  Additionally, I had been under the impression that Breath could only be used on inanimate/dead objects (Vivenna couldn't Awaken the tree).  If Vasher is just more practiced/more powerful than her and can manipulate living matter to make someone forget, why couldn't Breath be used to fully control someone's mind?  Maybe this is something intentionally left unexplained?

Finally, I agree with others on this board that the ending was abrupt.  One second we're on top of the palace, Vasher's explaining how to save the day, the next he and Vivenna are walking off into the sunset?  We don't need to see the battle (it'd be boring anyway reading about Lifeless vs Statues whacking at each other), but what about some cleanup?  Two gods are dead, dozens of priests are dead, Susebron and Siri can take an active hand in politics (or transfer his extra Breath to the next God-King and live in peace somewhere, apparently).  How does the Idrian king feel about all of this?  Pahn Kahl servants not in on the plot?  What happens with all of that?  I'm not asking for an extended dénouement and an explanation for every little thing, but a little closure maybe?

Just to not be a downer, here's what I liked:  Vivenna's character arc seemed natural and well-paced.  Lightsong's character struck the right balance between flippancy and seriousness to me.  Denth's betrayal genuinely surprised me, as did Bluefingers's (okay, I figured it out just before Siri did).  Siri wasn't rebellious in the beginning just for the hell of it, which usually happens when a "rebellious princess" crops up in a story.  There's plenty else to praise, but I'm at work right now and should really get back to it  :)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 04, 2008, 08:08:25 PM »
I also just got done re-reading it.  I love the new version.  A lot of the old problems seem to have been taken care of.

The only thing I saw that I still had a problem with was the "magic power" Vasher when they rescue the little girl.  I know it was explained earlier that she was just able to tell he was a good guy, but it still seems like he has a power over her.  Maybe you could include a scene where one of the returned (maybe another Lightsong scene?) sees a child for a petition, and have that show that the child is instantly draw to the good (or even just have it so the child is drawn to the returned, which could then provide another foreshadow of that plot twist).  And then if it is Lightsong, have him reflect on the fact that animals and children seem to be comforted by the returned?  Although, that might be too obvious.  *shrug*  That's the only thing really that bugged me.

Over all though, still loved it so much.  I really liked the added foreshadowing, it definatly helped quite a bit.  I also loved the new Lightsong scene.  The game kind of reminded me of the one Hrathen and the crazy prince played in Elantris, which was very amusing.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Nicodemus

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 04, 2008, 11:55:13 PM »
<SPOILER ALERT!!!>

First I have to say how disappointed I am that I only just discovered Warbreaker a few days ago, I would have loved to have watched the writing process from the begining.  But, as they say - better late than never!

I will not comment on the typos in the 6.1 version, as I trust the more than competant editors at TOR to catch those, however I do have one minor complaint I would like to mention.  I felt the whole statues as Kalad's Phantoms thing too predictable.  I think the talk of a mystical army waiting the call of the God King was mentioned a little too often, and as a result the moment Vivenna stepped into the D'Denir garden I thought, "oh, that's were they are."

It would have worked better if they had just been left at all the street corners and not had a group of several houndred together especially when using words like, "They stood, as if on guard" and "Warriors to represent peace" to describe them.  From that point on I was just waiting for Susebron to call them to action which left the ending a little flat for me.

On the positive side I loved the characters immensely; I found myself waiting in anticipation of the next exchange between Lightsong and, well, just about anyone.  Too bad he will not be around for the next book.

Thank you for a thoroughly enjoyable read, keep 'em comming!

UtopiaGreen01

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 21, 2008, 02:36:16 AM »
Any plans on releasing this on the Amazon Kindle for Kindle download for free?

LeisureSuitLarry

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 23, 2008, 06:27:46 AM »
Utopia, you don't really need him to put out a Kindle-specific version. Just grab one of the mobi versions, connect the K to your computer, and load it up. That's how I read it, and I loved every word of it.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: August 26, 2008, 12:57:13 AM »
MY GOD. Now I'm aware I’ve been away for two weeks and it takes some catching up when you’re behind but I swear if I hear one more post include a question or statement about "Kindle" I will probably do absolutely nothing about it except maybe complain about repetition and aggravation.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

UtopiaGreen01

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 26, 2008, 01:02:12 AM »
Utopia, you don't really need him to put out a Kindle-specific version. Just grab one of the mobi versions, connect the K to your computer, and load it up. That's how I read it, and I loved every word of it.

Why should I do all the work?  Sanderson is after all the author.  Makes sense if the site had different versions available.  KINDLE!!!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 26, 2008, 01:44:20 AM »
Or you could just not be lazy and take the five minutes to convert it yourself, or spend a couple dollars to use Amazon's converter to convert it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

UtopiaGreen01

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: August 26, 2008, 03:54:44 AM »
I found a version on mnybks.net and it appers to be a version 4 or version 4.something.  Anyways, because of no conversion on this site, I did not read the version 6.  You can imagine what I went through.  Mistakes and all...  If Mr. Sanderson wants more people to read, wouldn't it be more efficient to offer a MobiPocket version, instead of having people convert themselves?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: August 26, 2008, 06:26:10 AM »
Go to his main website to find version 6. Oh wait I'll even give you a link.

And MANY people can't afford eBook readers.  Many just have computers.  This is the easiest most efficient way for him to do it.  Besides, HE probably doesn't have control over it becoming Kindle friendly.  That would be Amazon and TOR, because it costs money.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

UtopiaGreen01

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 26, 2008, 09:11:30 PM »
MobiPocket works on Kindle, and other devices.  If someone just converted version 6 using the MobiPocket program, and posted it on the website, people could download.  It doesn't have to be listed in the Kindle store to work on the Kindle.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: August 26, 2008, 09:22:32 PM »
With all the complaining you have done you could have had it changed a dozen times over.  Why not just do it yourself.  As I said before, not TOO many people have eBook readers.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

UtopiaGreen01

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: August 26, 2008, 10:03:52 PM »
With all the complaining you have done you could have had it changed a dozen times over.  Why not just do it yourself.  As I said before, not TOO many people have eBook readers.

Who can't afford $359 for a Kindle?  It had a price drop from $399.