Author Topic: Warbreaker: Free Ebook  (Read 234583 times)

Dominique Demille

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker: Free Ebook
« Reply #285 on: January 04, 2007, 02:34:51 AM »
Well we now know that they could hide their breaths anyhow, as Vivenna just did, so I don't see how not drawing attention to themselves with extra breath would be a very valid reason for letting Vivenna carry them. <shrug> Perhaps I'm missing part of the picture, which wouldn't surprise me. But then there's the secondary part where the breaths were an after thought for Denth. Only after she tried to use them to protect herself did he remember them before killing her. (Allowing her precious time and speaking space to save herself... how ironic.)

However, was there going to be a new chapter today? I'm anxious to know what's going on, in all parts of the story. But if you're taking a break for the holidays, I understand.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #286 on: January 04, 2007, 02:48:55 AM »
I'm sure there will be sometime, EUOL runs on his own time schedule which means a wensday post could be Tursday at 1am.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

amyface

• Level 3
  • coolbeans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 04, 2007, 02:52:22 AM »
Well we now know that they could hide their breaths anyhow, as Vivenna just did, so I don't see how not drawing attention to themselves with extra breath would be a very valid reason for letting Vivenna carry them. <shrug>

Maybe they were trying to draw attention to her for some reason... I'm not sure. I'm not very good at speculation...

I also think the crew and vasher are all trying to stop or encourage the war too so I'm sure their involvement with vivenna and um... the dead guy, what was his name?... They could be responsible for some of the rumors of the upcoming war.  I can't wait to find out how all this fits together...

Also, why does blushweaver yell at Siri? That has been a few chapters back but I don't think she actually believes that siri is sleeping with lightsong... she just doesn't like Siri? I meant to ask about this but never got to it...
Dude, no no really, DUDE!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #288 on: January 04, 2007, 03:12:22 AM »
I'm sure there will be sometime, EUOL runs on his own time schedule which means a Wednesday post could be Thursday at 1am.

Yes, Sprig is quite right.  However, bugging me does bring things about faster.  Probably won't post this on my blog for a few hours yet, but I'll throw it up here early.

New chapter: 
Chapter Forty

Lots of good speculation and questions, as always.  I hesitate to answer any because your speculation and wondering is exactly the kind of feedback I need.  Let me just say that we will get (in the next couple of chapters) more insight into what Denth and Vasher are both doing.

Llarimar's loyalty will be addressed.

The Denth knows that Vivenna knows the commands error will be fixed in the next draft.  Thank you all for your help.  (I'm going to have her hear it more circumspectly.)

Good point, augenschein, about the wounds on Vivenna's hands.  I'll have to think about that one. 

Breath going into objects is different than going into people.  When you give away Breaths permanently, you have to give them all up--since your Breath keeps pouring into the person, without hitting a barrier.  When you give them to an object, the number it takes to fulfill the Command is automatically drawn out.  Once you hit the point that the object is 'alive' enough to do what you Command, your breaths stop being sucked out.  So, with the right Commands, you can indeed stick Breaths into something and 'store' them.  Many people in the story have been abusing this ability (like the person who followed Vasher into the palace.  They needed to lose their Breaths first so they couldn't be sensed.)  Does that make sense and does it need to be explained more?

Can anyone answer amy's question about Blushweaver?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 04, 2007, 05:36:04 AM »
Can anyone answer amy's question about Blushweaver?

I assumed it was a combination of genuine jealousy/cattiness and, well, if I saw an Idrian Princess frequently chatting up one of the Returned Gods who happened to have the command words for part of the Lifeless armies, I'd certainly be worried that said Princess was trying to manipulate the Returned God into doing something not in the best interest of Hallandren.  Especially if I was the Returned Goddess who'd been quietly trying to gather control of the Lifeless armies myself to further my own plans (and indeed seemed to be one of the driving forces behind the conflict) and didn't want a chief ally to be suborned by the enemy.  But that's just speculation.

Blushweaver does get my vote as likeliest employer of Denth, though it sounds like we'll find out soon enough what's going on there.  I also have to wonder whether Siri and Vivenna's father isn't going to have some surprise role by the end of the story: he's been way too quiet.

Edit: as far as Denth and Vivenna's hands...it seemed to me that Denth was seriously panicking by then (witness Peprin) so not sure he would have noticed her hands.  I am hoping that why Denth loses his cool to the degree that he does will be explained...either in terms of what they were doing with Vivenna/what he thought happened, or just as a character trait, is he someone who freaks out when his plans go awry?

I'm also still trying to figure out why they tortured the parrot...that was just so wrong.  :o

MattD
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 06:40:25 AM by dreamking47 »
"It had blood in it.  That makes it a good metaphor." -- Tonk Fah, in EUOL's Warbreaker

Pterath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 04, 2007, 03:57:16 PM »
Well after seeing Vasher use the lifeless squirrel it makes me wonder if there is not intent with all of Tonk Fah's deceased pets to have eventually played a similar role for Denth had he been able to control Vivenna and her breath.  What a better place to place the breath in the first place in an unwitting hostage.  He played to her emotions and political/religious stance.  It almost seems as if he might have been behind the initial attack in the slums.  He tells his employer or just rats her out to the Hallendren Guard, so he can show her she cannot afford to not use her breath, because she has effectively held the breath hostage on him.  To me it seems he was trying to inspire her. Then he could manipulate her into using her breath to get done what he wants to happen. 

If in fact we suppose Denth's employer is Blushweaver.   She is trying to gather the lifeless codes why would she allow/order Denth to work against her own armies?  Unless like everything else Denth has done that was all part of the rouse. But we also have to remember that the lifeless need less to sustain them than a normal person so her thus her need for the lifeless codes. 

(I know asked and answered, but does anyone have thoughts on this?)

Allmother won't give Blushweaver the codes and Lightsong has made a vague alliance with Blushweaver but does not hand over his codes nor lay with her.  Lightsong is manipulating her even as she tried to move him.  There is more going on here. 

And where was Vasher going when he stole his way in to the tunnels in Mercystar's palace? Who killed the servant? Because I seriously don't think it was him.

Kel

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 04, 2007, 04:56:20 PM »
If in fact we suppose Denth's employer is Blushweaver.   She is trying to gather the lifeless codes why would she allow/order Denth to work against her own armies?

It seemed to me that Denth's limited actions have done far more to foment war with Idris (Blushweaver's apparent desire) than to actually hurt the Hallendren armies (edit: who are Lifeless and don't need salt-preserved food).  How much easier is it to get support for war when you can point to terrorist actions taken by your enemy, their own Princess in your city trying to rally people against the Returned Gods, etc.

MattD
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 05:16:57 PM by dreamking47 »
"It had blood in it.  That makes it a good metaphor." -- Tonk Fah, in EUOL's Warbreaker

DragonFly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 04, 2007, 07:07:32 PM »
Also, why does blushweaver yell at Siri? That has been a few chapters back but I don't think she actually believes that siri is sleeping with lightsong... she just doesn't like Siri? I meant to ask about this but never got to it...

I was re-reading part one today, looking at it in light of some of the discussions that have been ongoing--I found quite a few "AHA" moments. Anyways, towards the end of chapter 8, Blushweaver's conversation with Lightsong provides some insight into why Blushweaver is so paranoid about Siri and her motives.
Work is like fertilizer in that I'm very glad it exists--I just don't ever want to get stuck in it
(Lightsong in Warbreaker)

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 04, 2007, 09:03:08 PM »
Another potentially related thing to consider is that it's quite possible that Blushweaver (and indeed other Returned) know who Lightsong was before he Returned.

MattD

Swiggly

• Level 4
  • Here's for trying, rhymes with dying
    • View Profile
    • Gaia Online Account
« Reply #294 on: January 04, 2007, 09:38:05 PM »
And, thus- the orgin of the Title is revealed!
I want to be a publisher at Tor Fantasy when I grow up.

YAY

Pterath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 05, 2007, 12:14:56 AM »
Good Point, Matt.  You said it much better -- clearer than I and made the point sharper.  But this is still much supposition saying that Denth is in Blushweaver's pay.  Which brings up an even bigger question of HOW did Denth know that Vivenna was in Hallendren?  I think I need to reread part 1 again.

Why do I have this itching desire for things to blow up in Blushweaver's face. If in fact she is the one orchestrating things.

Kel

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 05, 2007, 12:20:06 AM »
But this is still much supposition saying that Denth is in Blushweaver's pay.

Yes, totally -- could be something/someone completely different.  I just tend to think out loud and share my current speculations because EUOL said it was helpful for him to know what we're thinking as we read the chapters.

Why do I have this itching desire for things to blow up in Blushweaver's face. If in fact she is the one orchestrating things.

Yes -- although the bit where Blushweaver goes off on Siri was interesting as it really does seem like she cares for Lightsong, which in turn makes me respect and care for her a little more.  One of the things I like about Warbreaker so far is that it's all about shades of grey, nobody seems entirely right or entirely wrong, entirely sympathetic or entirely objectionable.

MattD
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 12:26:38 AM by dreamking47 »

DragonFly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 05, 2007, 12:28:20 AM »
I was wondering the same thing about Vivenna's kidnapping.  Denth and company obviously had an assignment that involved Lemks, so when they found out from him that she was coming, I imagine they informed their employer and were told to intercept and control her.
Work is like fertilizer in that I'm very glad it exists--I just don't ever want to get stuck in it
(Lightsong in Warbreaker)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 05, 2007, 07:36:18 AM »
Something that's been playing at my mind for a bit is why does he automatically assume she ran away?  He knew that Vasher was watching her, and the best way for your enemy's plans to go down the drain (or at least have a major set-back) is to take away their best weapon.  What does he have going on that he thinks would make her run away?

I'm also still trying to figure out why they tortured the parrot...that was just so wrong. :o

MattD

I think that was mostly to show a character trait.  If you think about it the monkey was also tortured, so my thought has always been just that it's something he does... he gets bored with a pet so he tortures them.  I mean, it's implied that he can't keep animals around for long in the garden, and by the way it's said, I think that the animals never "run away".
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

U-Boat

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 05, 2007, 10:51:55 AM »
I'm impressed, I've only discerned 3 spelling/grammar mistakes in the text so far.

Of course, I'm skimming it rather quickly.  ;D