Author Topic: Warbreaker: Free Ebook  (Read 234565 times)

Dominique Demille

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker: Free Ebook
« Reply #270 on: December 31, 2006, 05:13:58 PM »
This last chapter has raised a couple of questions that I hope are eventually answered. Seeing as how Vivenna can invest her breath in the shawl to keep it safe, is it possible for her to invest only a small portion? For example, could she get multiple small wooden dolls and invest them with 1 breath each? Taking this a step further, could she then give away the breaths one at a time, pulling the breath out of the next doll to do so? The reason I ask, is because Vivenna is a smart girl, but (like your readers) doesn't know everything about BioChroma, and since she had previously desired to give the breaths to drabs, it is something she might think about. If it isn't possible, why not?

Also, have you explored the possiblity of underground slave markets? The selling of children for their breaths? I recognize this is a more light hearted book, however, in such a society where breaths are a valuable "currency", there are always those who will take advantage of the weak willed and gullible. "Orphanages" that raise children until the point where they can say those vital words, and stealing their breath, or selling the child to the highest bidder for their breath. (That way the orphanage is not responsible for what happens to the child after its sold.) Vivenna is in the perfect position to stumble across a black market like this if one exists.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 31, 2006, 09:31:25 PM »
The black market thing is an intresting idea, but I doubt it would be done.  Don't know though...

As for the breaths idea, I don't think it would work because if you were to do that I don't think you could get them back... then again, maybe you could.  I guess we'll have to wait and see...
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

U-Boat

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 01, 2007, 01:40:23 AM »
How long would it take for every chapter to be released?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #273 on: January 01, 2007, 03:44:52 AM »
about a year, he does one a week and I think there's around 50+ chapters, so at least another 10-15 weeks is my guess.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 01, 2007, 05:32:43 AM »
Holy cow!!!  I didn't know that it was that long!!!  Yeah for long books!
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

U-Boat

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 01, 2007, 05:53:14 AM »
D.Demile, I recall reading somewhere in the book that it's an all or nothing deal with Breaths. So she has to give them all (which she did), or give none. Can't give individual Breaths unless you only have one.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 01, 2007, 08:21:47 AM »
Well, that's in giving it away to someone.  You can only give away a few breath to objects to command them... but the question is, can you use a command like "Hold breaths"?  If so, then you could apply them to a whole bunch of dolls and then retreave it...  If not, you'd have to tell them to do something, and then retreave them.  Just having the dolls hold your breaths though and then hide them until you want to retreave them... unless you can do a command like that, I don't think so.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #277 on: January 01, 2007, 09:12:03 AM »
Holy cow!!!  I didn't know that it was that long!!!  Yeah for long books!

EUOL's first drafts are always really long then they get cut back as editing happens.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Dominique Demille

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 01, 2007, 03:57:59 PM »
If she can place her breath in a shawl for safe holding, I don't yet see why it has to be all of it. You can use partial breath to awaken something. Perhaps it would require a great deal of control, however, so far it sounds possible. Just wanted to bring it up, so that we could get some clarification in the story itself if its not possible. I'm not entirely expecting it to be, but it is a concern some other readers might have that will leave them scratching their heads if it isn't explained.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 01, 2007, 10:08:15 PM »
Well, with the command she did to get her breaths into her shawl, it's an all or nothing deal.  Awakening things requires a certin number of breaths to do a certian number of things (kind of like you need a certin amount of money to buy something, you "buy" the abilty to awaken something with breaths), so thus unless you can do a "hold breaths" comand, it would be all or nothing, or make them do something until you can retreave the breaths.

Pterath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 02, 2007, 12:49:13 AM »
Well, in the 'hold breaths' command is as good as what she has already done giving the breath to the object with no command, or so it seems to me. Vivenna just doesn't know how to retireve them yet.  So, she can hold onto the shawl/rug and rope until she discovers this and she is the only one that can retrieve them.  That was basically stated in the first chapter with Vasher as he animated the straw figure and cloak, when we first learn of awakening and the use of breath.

Kel

augenschein

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 03, 2007, 04:20:45 PM »
I've discovered this book I think last summer already and been reading the first chapters back then but due to my studies had no time to keep reading it. I have now used three days of my short break wisely enough on catching up. I enjoyed it a lot.

First off, I am glad you cut Mab out of joining up with Siri. It felt to be needless (I know that sounds wrong but I cannot think ofa bett. Yet in the draft there is a small discontinuity error you might have already changed. I am not sure. Siri sends guards in the 2.0 version twice back. Once before she enters the palace and the second time she tells Bluefingers to order them to return to Idris.

Lightsong is my favourite character from the first time he appeared. The way he questions his divinity and tries to figure out who he was paired with his sarcasm... I love reading about him and am looking for more! What puzzles me though is his priest Llarimar. He seems so fiercefully loyal to Lightsong. Is he then different from the priests that are using Susebron as puppet and not involved in whatever goes on with the priests? His loyality is certainly interesting and makes me wonder hard who Lightsong used to be and his connection with Llarimar in his former life.

Vivena suffered in the last chapters an awful lot and it all happened in such a short time to her. However two things puzzled me. First, I think I saw this mentioned already, that Denth was surprised she knew how to change the commands on Clod. He sat right next to her just a couple of hours prior to that event when Jewels repaired Clod and he was explaining Awakening to her. She is not stupid so she well know what that meant. Denth should have left by then or have been preoccupied so he would have missed it.

Second when she finds the safehouse, why didn't they wonder about her trying to hide in the safehouse? Why didn't they question her wounds at her hands from the binding? I mean both were obvious reasons to doubt their own fear of her having found them out.

However, I am a bit sorry for Denth betraying her. He and Tonk Fah are such enjoyable characters with their brutal humour Denth's almost fatherly patience towards Vivena. Their storyline promises to be very interesting.

;) annie

U-Boat

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 03, 2007, 10:37:47 PM »
Regarding Denth and Tonk, I never understood why they didn't just betray her as soon as they saw her and she had taken the breaths.

Swiggly

• Level 4
  • Here's for trying, rhymes with dying
    • View Profile
    • Gaia Online Account
« Reply #283 on: January 03, 2007, 10:46:05 PM »
Oh that just broke my heart. Oh my god....poor Vivena. I mean, she just escaped from whatshisface. I keep calling him Kelsier even though theres like no similarities between the two characters. It'll come to me...anyway- she escapes from the guy with the killer sword and then two people she thought were her friends betrayed  her completely and killed her best friend. Isn't that just horrible? You better not edit that out, Brandon; it was such a great chapter.
I want to be a publisher at Tor Fantasy when I grow up.

YAY

amyface

• Level 3
  • coolbeans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 04, 2007, 01:20:35 AM »
Regarding Denth and Tonk, I never understood why they didn't just betray her as soon as they saw her and she had taken the breaths.

They never really betrayed her exactly. She was technically being kidnapped the whole time she just didn't know it. I'm sure we will find out why they needed control of her later in the book. They wanted to keep her trust for some reason too, that's why they didn't just tie her up and force her to give them her breaths. Perhaps she was a good keeper for the breaths at this time because they didn't think she would ever use them against the crew, maybe... and the breaths wouldn't draw attention to Denth and Tonk?
Dude, no no really, DUDE!