Author Topic: Warbreaker: Free Ebook  (Read 234582 times)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker: Free Ebook
« Reply #225 on: December 16, 2006, 06:19:02 AM »
I haven't had a chance to read all of the posts yet, and sorry if I'm posting something that's already been discussed (if so, please give me a proper rebuke and tell me where I can find it), but I want to pose an idea (and Brandon... or Mr. Sanderson (which ever you chose to be called...) if I'm right, don't ruin it for us?  Not that you would... lololol.) Who else thinks that the dude who Vasher killed (and Denth says wasn't in a fair way...) is actually Lightsong?  I mean, think about it.  He knows how to interrogate people (look at when Tonk Fah and Denth first start quizzing Thame, and compair it.)  I'm pretty sure that if he played with a sword, he'd be the best anyone had ever seen.  Not sure what the point of the sea terms, and a few of the other things, but I mean, it does make sense... (and plus, it's so the style)

In regards to the chapter.... HOLY FREAKING BEYOND COW!!!  Poor Vivenna, having everything torn from her.  I hope though that she finds a way into the court of the Gods so that her and Siri can talk... they really need to have a LONG talk about everything.  (I could see Vivenna being one of the things that saves everything...)

Anywho, anyone else have thought on the whole Lightsong knowing Vasher and Denth and everything...?
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

dawncawley

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 16, 2006, 07:36:06 AM »
I have thought that since it was first mentioned, but I know that with writers the odds that you will get a straight answer on something that they are still working on is usually fairly slim, unless it isn't a super duper story twist. ;) So, I don't know if I every really stated outright that was what I thought. I know I mentioned that I thought Lightsong was more than he appeared, but I don't know if I mentioned that I thought he was Artsteel.

So, hello and welcome. Enjoy!

DavidB

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker Sample Chapters
« Reply #227 on: December 16, 2006, 08:35:29 AM »
Rose,

I thought of that back on page 13, but MattD set me straight. It was a pretty short discussion; no wonder you didn't see it.

Quote from: davidb
I kind of halfways suspect he [Lightsong] was Arsteel, but I can't remember everything that's been said about that guy, so maybe it's impossible.

I had thought about this initially, too, but Lightsong has been a god for five years, and Arsteel's death was more recent.

It wouldn't surprise me if Peprin somehow dies for Vivenna -- you know, jumps in front of an arrow meant for her or something like that.

MattD

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 16, 2006, 08:45:30 AM »
That is a very good point... excpet, I don't think it ever directly mentions when Artsteel died.  I'm willing to be wrong, but I also like my idea... lololol.  We'll have to read to find out.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 16, 2006, 08:05:23 PM »
I don't remember an exact time being mentioned for his death either. Now I have to go back and read it again ;) Not that I mind that one little bit :D

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 16, 2006, 09:06:35 PM »
From Chapter 19:

“Vasher,” Tonk Fah said.  “Killed a good friend of ours over in Yarn Dred a couple months back.  Denth used to have four people in his team.”
   â€śIt shouldn’t have happened,” Jewels said.  “Arsteel was a brilliant duelist--almost as good as Denth himself.  Vasher’s never been able to beat either of them.  But, Arsteel died with a dueling blade through the chest.”

The "Lightsong as Arsteel" idea had been my initial hypothesis, too, but when I read this I knew it wouldn't work.

My next thought had been that Clod was Arsteel, that they had paid to have him made into a Lifeless after his death -- they seem to only have had Clod for a little while, there seems to be a connection between Jewels and Clod, and Clod is a better than average fighter.  But in Chapter 35, Denth says "considering what we paid for this guy, he’d better have been quite the soldier in life" -- indicating that they don't know who he is/was.  I wonder...

MattD
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 09:16:15 PM by dreamking47 »
"It had blood in it.  That makes it a good metaphor." -- Tonk Fah, in EUOL's Warbreaker

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 16, 2006, 09:21:59 PM »
Aw man... oh well... we shall just have to see who he was then to have "come back".  lololol.  And I was also thinking the Clod/Arsteel thing, but you just pointed out that it wouldn't work either... hm...

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 16, 2006, 09:31:58 PM »
As far as Lightsong goes, my only new speculation is that, with reference to his dreams of ships and a woman, we learn in Chapter 33 that the First Returned was a sailor and that he had a wife.  Of course, that was hundreds of years ago...

MattD
"It had blood in it.  That makes it a good metaphor." -- Tonk Fah, in EUOL's Warbreaker

DragonFly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 16, 2006, 09:38:32 PM »
Because of the way Jewels and Clod interact, I think he must have been someone she was close to--even her (dead?) husband. The reference to Clod's cost could be what it cost to resurrect him.
Work is like fertilizer in that I'm very glad it exists--I just don't ever want to get stuck in it
(Lightsong in Warbreaker)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 16, 2006, 09:52:16 PM »
Well, he also says "had better have been".  If he had know the guy in life it would have been more of a "for how good he was in life, he was worth the money to have." type thing.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 17, 2006, 10:57:13 AM »
I never even considered Clod/Artsteel, and I am usually an author conspiracy nut ;) I wonder how I missed it, even though it doesn't really seem to fit.

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 17, 2006, 03:53:11 PM »
As annoying as it might be to us conspiracy nuts, it's also possible that Denth was simply lying (or least least being misdirecting) about Clod.

MattD

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 17, 2006, 07:24:34 PM »
This is true...  I wonder what they're going to do now that he's been used against them...

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 18, 2006, 04:57:09 AM »
This is true...  I wonder what they're going to do now that he's been used against them...

That reminds me, one small continuity thing I noticed with the last chapter: Denth seems surprised that Vivenna knows the command phrase for Clod, but he and Tonk Fah were both there when Jewels used it in front of Vivenna a few chapters previous.

MattD

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 18, 2006, 09:59:54 AM »
I think that can be explained away by thinking that she wouldn't know what it was, or thinking that she didn't hear it. But it has been a bit since I read that chapter. Did they mention it after it was used, like her asking what it was, or anything like that?