Author Topic: Warbreaker: Free Ebook  (Read 244782 times)

amyface

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • coolbeans!
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker: Free Ebook
« Reply #210 on: December 08, 2006, 10:39:39 PM »
 ???Brandon, where are you I NEED the next chapter... THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME arghehhahr hohsf.

I hope your tour is going wonderfully though!  ;)
Dude, no no really, DUDE!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #211 on: December 09, 2006, 03:40:25 AM »
???Brandon, where are you I NEED the next chapter... THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME arghehhahr hohsf.

I hope your tour is going wonderfully though!  ;)

As you command!

Chapter Thirty Six

I warn you, this is a Siri chapter.  Sorry!  We get back to Vivenna next week.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

DragonFly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 09, 2006, 02:37:11 PM »
I have to admit it--I'm a Siri fan, so I'm glad this is her chapter. I like the way her relationship and character are developing. Just a couple of questions that have been mulling around in my head--
During their conversations, why is Siri not worried that the priests are still listening in on her nightly visits? Is she still doing her "bump and grind" act? (and how does she explain that to Susebron?!) It seems like the priests would keep an ear on things until she is pregnant.

Also, how does Susebron eat with no tongue? I can see why he was taught he needed to take in only small pieces of food and eat slowly--wouldn't he choke if he were cramming whole pastries into his mouth?
Work is like fertilizer in that I'm very glad it exists--I just don't ever want to get stuck in it
(Lightsong in Warbreaker)

DavidB

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 09, 2006, 07:24:43 PM »
Also, how does Susebron eat with no tongue? I can see why he was taught he needed to take in only small pieces of food and eat slowly--wouldn't he choke if he were cramming whole pastries into his mouth?

At a guess, I'd say that immortal undead zombie gods are incapable of choking...what I'm wondering, though, is why Susebron would bother eating,  since he doesn't have to in order to survive, and with no tongue he wouldn't be able to taste any of the food he ate, so I can't imagine that it would be much fun.

Nice chapter, by the way!

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 10, 2006, 07:10:16 PM »
I don't know that his entire tongue has been cut out, just enough to keep him from speaking, if I had to guess I would say that is what happened. But we don't really have to guess do we??

Hey Brandon, is his whole tongue cut out, or just the front part of it, enough to keep him unable to speak?

By the way, I really like the fact that Susebron and Siri are getting closer, and that they seem to be taking their time with it. No rushing.... more real, I think. Good chapter too. :D

Drerio

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 10, 2006, 10:00:43 PM »

Remember that most of taste is actually smell; hence, when you get a cold, it becomes more difficult to taste something.  Sadly, this would remove the ability to taste sugars, bitter and sweet things, but that is realy only a small portion of taste.

However, I too like the way Suri is progressing.  I think her characters maturation is out of necessity with a preservation of her free spirit.  I am curious how you are going to resolve the issue of them leaving, though.  Doesn't Susebron require weekly breath donations to survive like other returned?  He certainly would not receive these if he were to run off to Idris.

Also, I wonder if it might add to the effect of Susebron's writings if you were to include deliberate misspellings into his writings, particularly into words he has never before heard such as "flirtatous." 

I do have one problem with this chapter.  It seems awfully convenient that Susebron is nearly completely convinced that his benevolent preists will turn against him all of a sudden.  Wasn't it in the last Suri chapter that he was all but convinced that they could never kill their God-king?  Also, he said at the begining of this one that he had no desire to die and give up his breath?  So, why does he think he needs to run?  Are we to believe that Suri is just that charismatic or that she has such a hold on him?  I feel like we are missing a particularly good point that she used to convince him that she was right?  Or did I just miss when she made that point...

otherwise, I liked the chapter.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 11, 2006, 06:05:52 PM »
I kind of feel like Susebron agreed to leave with her because he didn't think it would ever happen. Kind of like someone saying to you, "Don't pay the rent this month, the world is going to end in a week." And you replying, "Alright, I won't pay the rent," but then you go pay it anyway because you don't really believe that the world is going to end. Sort of. Bad example, I know, I just don't have a good enough imagination to have come up with something better.  :-[ I guess you could say he was just humoring her.

I like that Susebron can spell words even when he doesn't know them already. In my opinion, it shows that they teach him how to read and he remembers what he needs to know about spelling. But, for me spelling is a simple thing, and it always has been, but  I know it isn't that way for everyone. It may be just something that Gods know, but I don't know....

DragonFly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 11, 2006, 07:42:03 PM »
I don't know that his entire tongue has been cut out, just enough to keep him from speaking, if I had to guess I would say that is what happened.

If he had enough of his tongue left to swallow, he would be able to talk (it's amazing what the body can adapt to), but maybe not clearly enough to Awaken. Maybe the reason he doesn't talk is that those oh so concerned priests of his taught him not to even try to talk because it's not god-like to mumble!
Work is like fertilizer in that I'm very glad it exists--I just don't ever want to get stuck in it

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 12, 2006, 04:01:43 AM »
Good point Dragonfly. And he probably was taught very young not to attempt speech, either the hard way, or he just did as he was told because he was an obedient child. One way or the other, and it seems to have worked....

DavidB

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 12, 2006, 03:52:49 PM »
I thought the whole point of cutting out his tongue was to keep him from speaking (ie. giving commands that his priests couldn't "interpret" to suit their own ends)...if they had to teach him not to speak, why cut out his tongue in the first place?

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 13, 2006, 08:05:42 AM »
The point of teaching him to not attempt to speak would be if only a portion of his tongue was cut out, thereby leaving him able to eat and taste food, but not to be able to speak clearly. So, if  he did attempt to speak as a child, since you can learn how with a partial tongue it just wouldn't be clear, they would have had to teach him to not do it again.

But that is making a few assumptions about how they cut out his tongue. Such as assuming that they only cut out a portion of it and not the entire thing. I would think that it would  have to be done that way in order to allow him to be able to eat, but I am not sure about that, I don't know anyone who has had their tongue, or even part of their tongue, removed for any reason. I have heard of people who have had medical problems with tongues, or tongue cancer, but I don't know anyone like that so I don't really know how it works.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #221 on: December 13, 2006, 09:25:52 AM »
Very useful, and interesting, discussion on that last one, folks.  Thank you for the comments and the questions.  It is helping me understand the things I should explain more.

New chapter, getting back to Vivenna.  This is kind of an important one....

Chapter Thirty Seven

This would be a good place to post a link to this thread (the first post of it) on any blogs or message boards you may frequent!  The more people we get reading, the better.

As always, you have my thanks. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

DragonFly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 13, 2006, 06:31:58 PM »
All I can say is WOW!   What a chapter! "Kind of important"? I think amazing and pivotal describes it better. The events in this chapter totally snuck up on me. I really enjoy reading a book like this--it's fun to have the time to speculate about where the author is heading. Thanks for letting us participate in the process, Brandon.

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 14, 2006, 09:17:42 PM »
Wow indeed.  That was interesting -- I did not see it coming!

It is fun being thrown a curveball like that, the thrill that comes from uncertainty about where the story is going.  I'm not sure what to make of the change of tone, but will wait and see what the next few chapters bring...

MattD
"It had blood in it.  That makes it a good metaphor." -- Tonk Fah, in EUOL's Warbreaker

Windcall

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 15, 2006, 04:46:24 PM »
YEAH!!

I knew it...Vasher is the (relatively speaking) good guy!!!  Thanks Mr. Sanderson...that chapter made my day! Vivenna is also (finally) getting less annoying and more interresting...she is DOING something, using her Breath, escaping , not once but twice...she really is getting into her own.

I can't wait for the rest...what is Vasher going to do?...and what was that between Vivenna and the sword? Maybe Vivenna high (if tedious) morals might finally come in handy to serve a purpose and protect her againt the sword bad influence?