JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Re: Awake
« Reply #165 on: March 03, 2005, 09:55:46 PM »
I did not write hentai. I wrote a story about a guy with a friend who liked hentai, and who advised him to become a hentai character to please his girlfriend. It was incredibly amusing, but not to anyone mormon. I also have never drawn hentai. My skills aren't yet good enough for that, I need more practice.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2005, 07:41:09 AM »
 :-/
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2005, 09:23:00 AM »
I did not write hentai. I wrote a story about a guy with a friend who liked hentai, and who advised him to become a hentai character to please his girlfriend. It was incredibly amusing, but not to anyone mormon. I also have never drawn hentai. My skills aren't yet good enough for that, I need more practice.

Apperntly it was very amuseing to Entropy either.  The thought of JP's writeing that stuff scares me.  Not because of any moral reasons, it's just that he's JP.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2005, 09:30:18 AM »
He linked me to it, and i failed to click the link. I've read enough lovecraft to know when to leave things alone :P
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2005, 10:15:17 AM »
"You see a musty tome of gr..."
"I BURN THE BOOK!"
"Don't be hasty. It could have valuable information."
"Trust me. I've played this game. And if there's one thing I know, it's that you ALWAYS burn the book."

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2005, 11:24:53 AM »
Burn down all libraries, never go around without someone else nearby, and leave state when the locals start calling you by name.

Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Staff
  • Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2005, 06:10:40 PM »
But back to the subject at hand (that subject being: Mustard is cool), I just got an email inviting me to be a speaker at the Utah Library Association's annual conference.  Kinda neat.  This will be the first time I've ever had to go anywhere and speak -- other public appearances were all Q&A kinds of things.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2005, 07:11:36 PM »
Gemm, go and heckle.

Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #173 on: March 05, 2005, 01:36:15 PM »
Is it within the week? Or what? You know. Details like that don't really make you as cool as Fell thinks you are. =P
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

House of Mustard

• Staff
  • Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2005, 12:05:52 AM »
It's not until May.  Sorry.

www.robisonwells.com

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2005, 06:46:49 PM »
Would it be unethical, when a book was 'sitting in the warehouse, as you mentioned, to send it out to other publishers?  Then if they agree to publish it, you could buy back the rights, knowing you have another outlet.

Never answered this question.  This is a tough one.  The hypothetical is Covenant is sitting on your book, and you want to try and take it nationally.  They have a contract, and you want to get out of it.

This is the sort of thing agents are for.  I'm honestly not sure what you'd do in a situation like this.  I know that it would be hard to get a national publisher to look at a book whose rights they would have to wrestle from another press.  However, I'll bet it could be done.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
« Reply #176 on: March 25, 2005, 10:13:00 PM »
HOM, are you still planning on being in Layton over General Conference?  If so, I'm going to swing on by to heckle.  I mean, say hello.
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2005, 05:01:11 PM »
Hom, just a Q. Have you sent my copy of your book, with included awesome quote, my way yet? Haven't gotten it yetif you have.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2005, 01:43:48 AM »
Rob, one more question for you.

I just found out that I did a very bad thing.

When covenant was first reviewing my book, the editor wrote to me and said that the book lacked a theme.  I thought about it and realized that this indeed was the case.  I went back and added a running theme throughout the book.  In total, probably only about 800 words or so, but I felt that this made the ok book, a really good book.  I felt that it improved the book a lot.

Well, we started going through edits, back and forth.  We are now sending the book to press (I got the final final today in the mail).  It finally dawned on me that these changes are nowhere to be found!  They used my orignial manuscript to make the changes, and not my new and improved ones.

Are you, or anybody else here, familiar enough with the process to know if there is anyway to get these changes back in there?  Angela told me that for this edit only large glaring edits were possible.  It sounded like it was very difficult to make changes right now.

I'm sick about it.  I don't know quite what to do.

:(
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

House of Mustard

• Staff
  • Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #179 on: March 28, 2005, 11:09:13 AM »
Ugh...  That sucks.

I don't know.  I've only changed typeset twice, and only for really little things -- a couple of spelling errors.  I'm pretty sure they can change it, I just don't know if they will.  Changing it will take a couple of days, which, depending on how tight their schedule is, might bump you to the next month for release.  My advice, though, would be to push them to change it.  One month difference (if that) wouldn't kill you, and you'd be a lot happier with the end result.  My guess is that Covenant would agree with you.

As a matter of fact, email Shauna about it, as well as Angela.

And Gemm: your book is signed and sitting in my car, where it's been sitting for a week.  Sorry!  I'll put it in the mail today.

www.robisonwells.com