Departments > Music

New CDs

(1/5) > >>

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
So I was at the mall (rant to be posted elsewhere), and I saw Kemp Mill Records was going out of business, everythign 50% off.

So I look for a few bands, Mark Whitfield, Bela Fleck, The Cure, The Kinks, Hepcat, and Bad Manners were all gone, naturally, all being too popular and/or obscure for there to be any stock left on these. Only the latest U2 album was left, adn I wasn't sufficiently motivated to purchase.

However, I did walk away with 4 CDs.
A Matthew Sweet compilation of his early stuff
Rush, Vapor Trails (yeah, it was about time I got around to that one)
Sheryl Crow's latest
And a TMBG CD. I can't remember the name. Not even sure why I got it, as i think I actually purchased most of the tracks from some website on mp3. <shrug> It's a good 'un at least.

As I left the mall I only regretted that I didn't grab a copy of Eric Clapton's "Riding with the King," a duet effort with B B King which I know to be excellent. But I'm poor and shouldn't have really bought the 4 I got, so I'll live.

EUOL:
I really liked the "Riding with the King" single.

My most recent purchases are the two Blue Man Group CD's.  I like them both, though the first is the superior album.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
Well, I haven't been able to get a good listen in on that Rush one yet (I was at work, and haven't brought them home). But I have thoughts on the others (but not enough for a review)

They Might Be Giants, Mink Car. I was really pleased to hear this one. While I think that "You'll Dance to Anything" by the Dead Milkmen does a better job mocking the club scene than the song from this album "Man, it's So Loud in Here," I thought the album as a whole was much better. The sound and production is much more like the pre-John Henry sound that made us all fall in love with TMBG in the first place, and they've stopped pretending that anyone playing on the album besides the Johns are part of the band.

Matthew Sweet - The songs on this CD are definitely inferior to his Girlfriend work and later (I'm a huge fan of 100% Fun and Blue Sky on Mars) it was still nice to hear some origins. I didn't know he and Michael Stipes had recorded together.

Sheryl Crow - C'mon, C'mon. Again, I think this is inferior to her other work (though she's still the hottest chick in her 40s that i know of). Still, I enjoy the album, even if not as much as her original album. I don't necessarily recommend it, unless you're a fan.

Fellfrosch:
I'd have to pick Demi Moore over Sheryl Crow, despite the distasteful Ashton Kutcher association.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock:
1- Demi Moore + Music? I didn't know she did music too? You're kidding though right?

2- I like John Henry. I also heard that Mink Car was a bit weak. But then again what do people know about TMBG?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version