Departments > Music

Online Music Market Gets Hot

(1/8) > >>

wolverine_men:
iTunes for windows has finally been released by Apple. I subscribe to lockergnome newsletter. Toady's issue had a few reader reviews for the iTunes service. Apparently everyone seems to be satisfied. So what's the problem you ask? Well there is a tiny problem. Actually it's not so tiny and it's called The New and Improved(and legal)NAPSTER service. Napster has a couple of things going for it.
a) It has the largest collection of music anywhere
b) It has better deals on offer. They will sell individual songs for 99 cents each and albums for 9.95$. They also have monthly"Eat all you can"subscriptions for 9.95$.
Napster was purchased by Roxio Inc. after it had filed for bankruptcy. This is what Roxio's chief executive Chris Gorog had to say about the iTunes service-"If I were Apple, I would hate to compete with Napster. We have a larger catalogue of songs. Our service has more breadth. And there's no brand more powerful than ours in online music".
Other contenders in the market are Dell Inc., AOL Time Warner Inc.'s America Online, RealNetworks Inc.'s Rhapsody service, privately held companies like MusicMatch and BuyMusic.com. Even Amazon Inc. is planning a foray into the market.
Who's gonna snatch away the greater share of the pie? It's too early to comment on that yet. But as of now, if all you want is quality service, try iTunes.
Vikram

Fellfrosch:
Is this a press release? An opinion? I can't tell.

Mistress of Darkness:
I've heard Microsoft will also be making a play into the market.

I, personally, don't care how it plays out, but I suspect that it will be very much like the difference between Media Play, Walmart, and bmgmusic.com. Just a bunch of different retailers with different deals, appealing to different people for different reasons.

I'm really excited about the idea that I can go to the web and purchase the one song that I like for $0.99, rather than having to pay $15-$20 for a whole CD. And it's legal, so no more pathetic rationalizations with my conscience.

Hopefully this will get the RIAA of our collective backs.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:

--- Quote ---Hopefully this will get the RIAA of our collective backs.
--- End quote ---

Oh like THAT'll happen. I think the RIAA has made a job out of being a monkey on the back. Goodness knows they were never representing any artists.

wolverine_men:
No-it wasn't a press release or an opinion. It was just an honest review of things to come. Although I would've posted a press release had Roxio been willing to pay me for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version