Author Topic: Call for Happy Things, again.  (Read 38043 times)

gig

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Call for Happy Things, again.
« Reply #255 on: November 11, 2005, 06:49:51 PM »
I'm happy to be happy. I know that doesn't say much but that's all I could think of.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 11, 2005, 10:32:03 PM »
I'm happy because we had chinese food tonight, and the dogs are happy for the same reason.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/fuzzyoctopus/gotchinese3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/fuzzyoctopus/gotchinese2.jpg

(We didn't *mean* to give them chinese food, even though they are Chinese Shar-Peis. We'd put it on the middle of the table where they normally can't reach, and then left the room  for a few minutes...)

"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #257 on: November 12, 2005, 12:18:39 AM »
Same thing happened to me tonight, Fuzzy, with my kitten and my glass of milk. Except that milk isn't carryable, hence the huge spill of milk on my living room floor. I hope I cleaned it up enough--that's one thing I can't stand, the smell of sour milk.

I'm happy because I got a really, really big file cabinet from work in the move sale for $30. It's the kind that offices usually buy for a few hundred dollars, so even though it cuts off the view from my kitchen to my living room (a pity that, it's just 3 inches too tall to fit in the front closet, where I was going to hide it away)--even though it does that, it also prevents the cat from getting up on the kitchen counters. I moved the desk to behind the couch.

So, it feels both more and less crowded in here at the same time--at least the huge pile of boxes in my bedroom that I've been unable to unpack previously are now out of the way.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 12, 2005, 02:08:32 PM »
Thanks shrain for your nice post.  :)

Sure. I hope we'll be seeing another "Happy Things" post from you on the subject before Thanksgiving rolls around. ;)

Anyway, I'm happy because I found a super cute, black skirt plus some comfy and festive flannel pajamas at Old Navy yesterday! I also went on a cleaning rampage at my apartment and feel much more at "one" with my surroundings.  :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 02:11:28 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 12, 2005, 02:32:07 PM »
Im happy cause Scott (Bob) brought in his Xbox a hdtv coverter and a game for me to play today. Indego Prophecy... and its flipping awesome...

Its controls make it very interactive and fun.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 13, 2005, 02:57:34 AM »
My entire BYU career I've wanted to go to Final Cut, but fate and money and time and availability of tickets had never coincided to allow this to happen. Tonight, it did.

It was interesting to see the student films. My favorite was a really artsy one that everyone else thought was weird. It was about a tough construction worker who wanted to write poetry but didn't want anyone to know it, so he hid in the bathroom and kept eating the paper his poems were written on until he poisoned himself. What I got out of it was that supressing your desires and denying who you are can suffocate your soul. I found the symbolism and abstract nature of the film to be profound, while the other people in my group just saw it as strange. It is interesting how something can speak to you and not to other people.

My second favorite was a retelling of a Chinese folktale. My third choice was a funny one about a guy with anger problems, but it seemed a little Napeleon Dynamite wannabe to me. And there were some interesting documentaries and two computer animated cartoons. Overall, I'm very glad I got to go.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #261 on: November 13, 2005, 03:48:53 AM »
The Final Cut is awesome. I saw a Jared and Jerusha Hess film there before they were Jared and Jerusha Hess (i.e., before they were married and famous because of ND). It's a short film called "Cardboard Only." I think I got to go twice--the first time back when it was still showing in the University Theatre, back when that was still open, and the second was my last year at BYU, which was when "Cardboard Only" played. I've found a site of the Hess's online that had the film for a while, but by the time I found it, the link was broken, so they must have taken it off. But I highly recommend seeing it if you ever get a chance.

My happy thing: I'm so much more organized than I was two days ago. Still quite cluttered, but it's a start! I cleaned off my coffee table and sorted the pile of bills I hadn't looked at for months (I've been paying the bills, just not sorting the papers). I also unpacked 7 or 8 boxes into my new filing cabinet--boxes that have been sitting in my bedroom languishing for the entire six months I've been here. Now all their little files have a home in my filing cabinet, and I have a lot more floor space in my bedroom. Yay!

Another happy thing related to that: I got a 5-drawer lateral file cabinet from the move sale at work yesterday for $30. It's 42" x 64", and normally retails for $650. It is the whole reason for me being able to feel so accomplished and organized.  :)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 13, 2005, 08:45:13 PM »
Kudos.  :)
I, too, know the recent joy of getting more settled in. I finally got the rest of my stuff unpacked, including a bunch of my antique inkwells and poison bottles that I decided to bring with me instead of put in storage. Now I feel much more cozy and at home. Okay, my desk is still a wreck, but all my cool stuff is sitting happily on various shelves. :D

Edit: Oh, yeah, and my cuddly Wickett is out of his box, too. He's sitting high atop a bookshelf contemplating my room. It's for his own good, really, because he's far, far, out of reach of my roomie's dogs who just love eating plush, squishy toys.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 08:51:34 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #263 on: November 14, 2005, 09:33:44 AM »
I found my flash drive
Now I have to decide if NaNo is worth continuing.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 14, 2005, 10:51:27 AM »
e, that's great! Where'd you find it, anyway?
--Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #265 on: November 14, 2005, 11:11:32 AM »
In the girls' play room.

When confronted with the question, "Did you play with this?" 2 year old Rachael grinned broadly and said, "Yeaaaaaaaah" and did her little turn the head to the side in a cute way that guarantees that when she asks for a pony, she'll get one.

6 yo Elizabeth, actually found it. Right now, she's the good girl (y'know, until sharing becomes an issue again).

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 14, 2005, 11:29:37 AM »
Yep, cute little girls can get away with lots of stuff, huh.  ;)
Of course, this could be a promising sign that your 2 yo is destined for SF greatness, you know, what with her sneaking off with a fancy little USB drive for some imaginary playtime!
--Spriggan

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 15, 2005, 02:48:29 AM »
I'm happy to have MsFish as a friend. She's awesome.  ;D

Though she wouldn't let me get a cute shrug for $10. I told her if we went to the mall I wasn't allowed to spend any money, no matter what, and she actually held me to it.

I was tempted to sneak away and go buy it, but it was kind of hard to do so since it was just the two of us. I needed ninja monkeys in pants to distract her. And to use their pants money to pay for the shrug.  ;)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #268 on: November 15, 2005, 02:55:57 AM »
Let me give you a free shrug:

::shrugs::
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 15, 2005, 02:59:16 AM »
lol  ;D

Thanks. But I really wanted the orange one with sequins.