Author Topic: Call for Happy Things, again.  (Read 38041 times)

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
Re: Call for Happy Things, again.
« Reply #240 on: November 08, 2005, 03:57:52 PM »
Knives and I don't get along. I'm surprised, with how much cooking I've done lately, that I have any fingers left.

No, it's not that bad. But I usually stab or cut myself at least once. Part of the problem is that I don't have very expensive, very sharp knives. I have mediocre knives that I struggle to make do what I want them to do.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #241 on: November 08, 2005, 04:01:01 PM »
Investing in a decent French knife is a must.  You can get decent ones for like $15-20 if you look around.  Lately I've been learning to use a cleaver, too, and that's saving me a lot of time (once I get used to it).

I'm really bad with peelers, though, personally.  I've managed to grate a chunk out of my thumb before, and just this last week my thumbnail has taken two gouges from a peeler.  I'm sooooo grateful for nails.  I would be in a lot of pain if I didn't have them.

Food processors are nice, too, but it's not hard to make due without them - it just takes more time and/or skill.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 04:01:37 PM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 08, 2005, 05:45:30 PM »
You're painting your own bathroom? For fun, or because the landlord wouldn't do it, even after all the hassle of the water heater thing?

Mostly because I there was left over paint from renovation of my room and the bathroom needed painting. So the entire fix up hasn't cost me anything. I also find that if I wait for someone else to do it, it doesn't get done or gets done when it isn't convenient for me. I'd rather just do things myself and have it done right.

I'm not sure what water heater thing you are refering to. They did have the boiler (which heats the house) worked on, but that was just its yearly maintenance.

The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #243 on: November 08, 2005, 07:26:50 PM »
What was it that exploded and flooded your room? Or was it a rainstorm?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 08, 2005, 08:39:27 PM »
I'm happy because I'm writing, rather than agonizing about writing.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 10, 2005, 05:19:36 PM »
I think my interview with the Church Magazines Internships went well.  :D I feel good about it. I got questions mostly from the Friend and New Era representatives, which are the ones I want to work with, so that's fine.

Tage and I had a conversation about Leven Thumps the other night and why I did and did not like it, which came in useful because the last question was what the most recent piece of children's literature I had read was and what I thought of it. Luckily none of them were directly with Deseret Press, because I was honest (and I didn't like it more than I liked it). But I think being able to give specific examples of editing choices I would have done differently gave me credibility. So, yay!

Anyway, they said I would know before Thanksgiving. It would be a four month internship, working full-time (40 hours a week) on site in Salt Lake, and it's paid. It's a good starting point out of school. So here's hoping!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 05:20:14 PM by Chimera »

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 10, 2005, 08:27:41 PM »
Chimera, that's spectacular! :D  Internships can do so much to get you where you want to go. One major reason why I'm in Boston now pursuing editing is the internship that I did while at BYU getting my M.A. in American lit. What's more, the professor I worked for became more than just a boss or even a mentor. We're great friends. Internships can be great in lots of ways, so I wish you lots of luck!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 10, 2005, 09:46:58 PM »
Using this board for my wacky stream of consciousness posts makes me happy.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

cyan10101

• Level 6
  • the spice is vital for space travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 10, 2005, 10:02:35 PM »
getting new D&D minis and magic cards make me happy!!
everything was going fine, until i critically failed my intelligence check!

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 11, 2005, 04:24:37 AM »
Thanks shrain for your nice post.  :)

The molten lava chocolate cake from Chili's makes me VERY happy. CtrlZed bought it for me to thank me for helping him move tonight. He also bought MsFish some food (she helped, too) of a more substantial nature, but I still think I got the better end of the deal.

As a rule I try not to buy sweets for myself. But it is perfectly okay if other people do.  ;) J/k

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #250 on: November 11, 2005, 09:59:15 AM »
Chimera, how was Levin Thumps? I keep getting tempted to pick it up, since I want to help LDS writers who are writing stuff I'll actually LIKE.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 11, 2005, 01:01:57 PM »
Thanks shrain for your nice post.  :)

The molten lava chocolate cake from Chili's makes me VERY happy. CtrlZed bought it for me to thank me for helping him move tonight. He also bought MsFish some food (she helped, too) of a more substantial nature, but I still think I got the better end of the deal.

As a rule I try not to buy sweets for myself. But it is perfectly okay if other people do.  ;) J/k

I'm happy because CtrlZed and Chimera are some of my favorite people.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 11, 2005, 01:57:09 PM »
Chimera, how was Levin Thumps? I keep getting tempted to pick it up, since I want to help LDS writers who are writing stuff I'll actually LIKE.

e, I started to respond and it got so long I realized I needed to make it its own thread in Books. Here's the link.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 11, 2005, 03:46:57 PM »
I'm happy because I have today off. Time to do things that need to be done is a good thing.

cyan10101

• Level 6
  • the spice is vital for space travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 11, 2005, 03:50:21 PM »
seems like everyone is off today.  this is the most members i have seen on at one time, 11!
everything was going fine, until i critically failed my intelligence check!