Author Topic: From a distance  (Read 5237 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: From a distance
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2004, 02:05:27 PM »
see, that's messed up. That "funny" caveman movie was not.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2004, 02:08:03 PM »
I'm going to have to agree with SE here, Sprig.

Why do you like Ringo?  In my opinion, he was the one with the least talent of the bunch, and seemed to just be tagging along?

But Ringo is Mr. Conductor!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 02:08:16 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2004, 02:09:52 PM »
Which is a very good point because, in actuality, I like Thomas the Tank Engine far better than a lot of the Beatles music (particularly "She's got a ticket to Ride.")
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2004, 02:12:08 PM »
I really do like the Beatles, even if it's mostly their early music, (before the got the guru and the drugs).  But you don't have to like them to appreciate that they are important as a cutural/musical landmark.  I don't really like Elvis, but I'm not going to try and say he wasn't important.

Of course since I'm a young'un, I knew Ringo Starr (and George Carlin, too) as Mr. Conductor before I knew they had other career tracks.  Who would have thought that Mr. Conductor was in some band?  Or was a dirty-mouthed standup comic?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 02:13:35 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2004, 02:15:09 PM »
Oh - I absolutely agree that their early stuff (the stuff I don't like) was revolutionary.  I just don't like listening to it.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2004, 02:25:20 PM »
See I don't, this is the same BS going on with the White Strips.  "They're so revolutionary", "Most influental band in years" etc etc.  They're music sucks more then the Beatles.  They only reason you think it's so revolutionary is because all the fanboys out there tell you it is, so thus you beleave it.  Just the fact you don't like it proves my point.  How can you say something is so influentual to music and all the BS lines there are, then say "But I don't like it".  The only reason people say that about them, and not other bands from the time, was that they're so popular.  And that if you say negative things about them, everyone who's been brainwashed into thinking they're great, ridicules you.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2004, 02:27:40 PM »
To quote Robin Williams; "I'm sorry.  I'd agree with you if you were right."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2004, 02:33:11 PM »
*Puts on tinfoil hat*
You poor brainwashed fool.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2004, 02:41:29 PM »
And proud of it.

Look- people like the Beatles and Elvis ARE important whether you like it or not, because SO MANY PEOPLE COPIED THEM.  They started new trends, new genres.  How is that not significant?  And if they're popular?  They sell billions of records? How is that not significant?

Their lyrics are common phrases in today's society: things like "it's been a hard day's night", and "blue suede shoes" are common knowledge and part of our language.  How can you say that you dont' consider them significant?

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2004, 02:47:10 PM »
Don't forget "Ob-la-di, ob-la-da."
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2004, 05:19:22 PM »
Yeah love or hate them they were undeniably influentual.  
What I dont get is the reason you don't like em Sprig.
But hey thats your right. Now go sit in your corner with your shiney hat.
Personally I like almost their whole catalog but especially SGT Peppers and The Beatles. But hard days night is rockin and I remember singing all their songs with my buddies on board the Legare. Fun, great fun.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2004, 05:29:08 PM »
There are very few bands where I can genuinely say that I like all their songs after they've released their third album. Rush. Uh... with no conditions, that's probably it. The Beatles come damn close though. The only song of theirs I don't enjoy is Revolution #9. This means they wrote hundreds of songs that I enjoy. The tunes and the lyrics have  been used over and over. The basic sound has been copied endlessly. The revolutionized how people treat rock. Paul McCartney revolutionized the bass. They did a LOT to CHANGE what music in popular culture sounded like, was treated, and functions. THat's what "influential" means. Regardless of whether you or your friends like it.

Just to be clear, I think Rush is a better group of musicians in terms of raw skill, and that over all, most of their lyrics are more thoughtful. But even they build on a base partially established by the Beatles. Don't like 'em all you want, but it's kind of a factual error to say they weren't influential.

Another comparison. I don't think that Marlowe wrote a particularly interesting play when he wrote "Doctor Faust." BUt that doesn't mean it wasn't influential. You can name a dozen major and very important works, many of which are fun and interesting, that incorporated ideas from Marlowe's text and take direction, at least partially from him. "like" has nothing to do with "influence on others"

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2004, 01:36:18 AM »
Quite frankly, anyone who says that the Beatles suck and that the Ringo caveman movie was funny has no credentials worth paying attention to. It's like my brother-in-law who hated LotR and thought that "The Fast and the Furious" should have swept the Oscars. We've started taking the exact opposite of his movie advice, and been quite pleased with the result.

Of course, I have yet to hear a Beatles song that I don't like, either musically or lyrically. So I'm a little biased.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2004, 09:29:15 AM »
number 9, number 9 number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9.

Yeah thats an annoying beatles song... but it was influential too... I mean who sampled before that...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2004, 09:56:10 AM »
oh, *I* didn't say it wasn't influential. Just that I hate listening to it. Damn Yoko.