Author Topic: Buy Out  (Read 29180 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Buy Out
« on: April 01, 2005, 09:25:19 AM »
Big News on the Front Page!

If you've been wondering why I've been so grumpy, I've been nervous and anxious. But last night everything came together! Yay us!

What do you think of this development?

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Buy Out
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 09:44:11 AM »
Funny.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 09:44:24 AM »
Yeah, great partnership deal, I'm glad it went through. I didn't want to say anything before this, but I signed the contracts last night, they arrived in the mail quickly.

I'm looking forward to centralising to more D&D stuff, definitly. Plus Magic the gathering. I'll start covering more of that instead of Shadowfist.

Still, I'm getting some pretty good payments in my role as "Forum Moderator/Community Builder/International Correspondant", enough to quit my helpdesk job.

Thanks guys, I'm glad you thought of this deal, and I'm glad our Wizards friends decided to go through with it.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Greg_Callahan

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Employer of the TWG crew
    • View Profile
    • Wizards of the Coast
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 09:51:37 AM »
Hi, this is Greg Callhan from the Wizards Journlism division.

I'd just like to say we're very pleased with the deal too. TWG is an excellent site, that we're glad to have as a part of our growing network.

You'll be seeing a bit more of me around, of course, but anyway, a toast to the long life of the partnership!
------------------------------
Greg Callahan
Wizards of the Coast Journalism Division

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 09:51:40 AM »
Does this mean we have to drop all the negative reviews of stuff we have done over the years?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 09:52:57 AM »
Exuberant! Now I must go out and get myself something completely insubstantial. Fowl-Mart!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 09:54:07 AM »
Is there a list of threads with other websites who are doing something like this?
(By "This" I mean, ummm, of course the buyout)
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 09:54:42 AM »
Welcome to the boards Greg!

As for the reviews... we haven't decided exactly what to do about that. Wizards content will be primarily strategy, tips, adventures, and new rules sorts of things. Project TW(i)G will be moving ahead quickly, since that's what I'm being paid to do now. Reviews will obviously be a conflict of interest, so we'll only review non-Wizards products. Right now, the old reviews (even the bad ones) are staying. I think there will probably be at least one meeting about it though.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 09:55:29 AM »
fuzzy, haven't seen one, but "webcomics and free stuff" is a good place for it.
I just made one

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 09:56:22 AM »
I also must know. Each post we post from now on, is that added onto our bonus'? Or just a commision?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 09:57:38 AM »
Het Greg, glad I'm up late enough to catch you.

Are we going to be seeing some reviews from you as well? Or are we happy to have you just boss us around? Good to hear from you, anyway.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 09:58:54 AM »
You don't get paid at all, Gemm. Sorry, I tried, citing you as an attraction. But if I have any pull, I'll get you a little something for the Word of the Week and the polls you do.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 10:02:19 AM »
Yeah, I'm pushing for freelance at six per word, but Greg wanted a flat rate per article.

The deals gone through, but there's still a bunch to be organised. Luckily, we've been doing it all through webconferencing so all of us can meet.

I should get some sleep so I can be at the one scheduled for tomorrow, anyway.

n8sumsion

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 10:58:36 AM »
So is this an April Fool's Day prank? Or is this for real? Since I'm not really affiliated with TWG in any way other than posting obnoxious comments, my opinion doesn't mean much. But if this news is for real, it doesn't really excite me. When the site was just a hobby, we could kind of chat about things, spout our opinions in an open environment. But now that it is backed by a specific company, won't that mean the site will officially have a marketing agenda? You're already discussing restrictions on what can or can't be talked about.

So I guess this is good news for those of you who are financially affected by this change, I offer you a sincere congratulations. But for my own personal situation, I count this as potentially being a bad thing. I'll hold out a final judgment until I see how things start to shake out, but I remain cautiously skeptical...

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2005, 11:09:12 AM »
thanks for giving us a chance n8. The restrictions ONLY extend to what content we'll be running as articles. We won't be running Wizards materials reviews because that would be a conflict of our interests as employees of Wizards.

As for the forum itself, there's two concerns. We're going to try and keep it distinct from the main Wizards  boards, though i'm betting some cross registration stuff will have to be worked out. That's yet to be coded.

However, we always have the interests of our readers in mind. So the forum will always be free speech. If you don't like  a Wizards product, then say why. Pointless and inflamatory speech will still be edited, obviously, but just because you have a negative opinion doesn't mean you can't say so here.