Author Topic: Patriotic Music  (Read 2317 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Patriotic Music
« on: June 10, 2004, 04:35:39 PM »
Why does it all suck so bad?

I mean, I'm all over this freedom stuff. It's cool in my book. But why am I expected to be stirred and think I've hit on such a great song just because it says "America Great" and "we're free?"

I mean, examples "Born in the USA" (repeat that line around 30000 times and you've got the song). and that "Proud to be an American, cuz at least I know I'm free..." Argh. They played that in the shop and turned it up. My response is to hide in my office and put in the Beatles.

Maybe I just hate them because most of the people who listen to this stuff has no idea what freedom and liberty are. Just like they have the right to be intolerant bigots, other people have the right to not like American policy, or even America. That's what's wrong with people like Anne Coulter. Part of being American means respecting the freedoms other people have, like 'em or not. I have the right to be a communist or a fascist. It may not be ideal, but imprisoning or persecuting me because of my ideals is distinctly unamerican.

Argh. Just had to get that out of my system. Patriotic music -- at least of the popular variety -- tends to be pretty sucky. That's all.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Patriotic Music
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 04:47:29 PM »
It's the same problem that Church music has, Eric.  People think that the subject matter can make up for lack of musical talent or imagination.

You can't criticize a song about Christ, even if it's painful to listen to, because it's spiritual and written from the heart.

America's the same.  We're kind of stuck with it, because you will NEVER convince enough people otherwise.  There will always be WAY too many people who scream, "How can you say this song needs to be better? It's about America, the bestest country in the world!"
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 04:48:38 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 04:06:21 PM »
You wouldn't believe some of the response I get for listening to Bad Religion and wearing their shirts. It's ridiculous.

I thought I was the only one who got annoyed by people constantly blasting those songs. I might add that country song about America "putting a boot in your ass". What a great song for improving international relations.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 05:37:31 PM »
Last night they had a tribute to Ray Charles on TV, and showed him singing America, The Beautiful.  It was pretty dang good.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 09:58:37 PM »

You think 'Born in the USA' is a PATRIOTIC song?  Have you ever even listenned to it?

Also, you think it's repetative?    Yes, the chorus is "born in the USA" four times, but every lyric stanza is different, and there are five of them plus a bridge.  Yellow Submarine, for instance, only has three original stanzas plus the chorus.  

http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 10:28:21 PM »
But, it's funnier.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 10:59:46 PM »
feh. That's when it's played. That's how it's used.

And numbers may be deceiving. There may appear to be more creativity in it, but man, that song gets BORING.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 04:54:58 AM »
feh. That's when it's played. That's how it's used.

By idiots, perhaps.  It's virtually an ANTI-American song.  It's about a guy cursing out his government for sending him to Vietnam, for heaven's sake!  

Boredom, however, is a more subjective term, so I'll admit that someone might find it unappealing.  However, I hardly think it belongs in the same category as cheesy classics like 'Proud to be an American.'  I'm just suggesting that you get your rants right.  Born in the USA is a deeply emotional, frustrated, meaningful song.  It's not one of my personal favorites, but I resent it being included in this grouping because I like to defend things that I see as being a cut above the rest.   Just because I don't like James Joyce's books doesn't mean that I include him in the same category as pulp romances.  

However, I admit that this is something of a tangent form your original topic.  I realize that you were just blowing off steam, so I'll refrain from picking apart the argument up there.

http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2004, 09:33:26 AM »
the verses are not comprehensible unless you listen very closely. All that the casual listener hears is "Born in the USA" repeated ad infinitum. It doesn't take an "Idiot' to take that as patriotism, since he's screaming that out, virtually victoriously. Any casual listener will think it's patriotic.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2004, 10:34:44 AM »
Born in the USA isn't a patriotics song as much as it's a protest song.  It's protesting Vietnam and how the poor person allwayse gets screwed by the "man".

Born down in a dead man's town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
You end up like a dog that's been beat too much
'Til you spend half your life just covering up

[chorus:]
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.

I got in a little hometown jam
And so they put a rifle in my hands
Sent me off to Vietnam
To go and kill the yellow man

[chorus]

Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says "Son if it was up to me"
I go down to see the V.A. man
He said "Son don't you understand"

[chorus]

I had a buddy at Khe Sahn
Fighting off the Viet Cong
They're still there, he's all gone
He had a little girl in Saigon
I got a picture of him in her arms

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
Out by the gas fires of the refinery
I'm ten years down the road
Nowhere to run, ain't got nowhere to go

I'm a long gone Daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a cool rocking Daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2004, 10:45:48 AM »
 guys, I *know* what it's *really* about. But what's the impression of the song? the impression is the whole repetition of the "Born in the U.S.A." part. If that's all anyone remembers, how will it be perceived? As pride.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2004, 10:49:14 AM »
Ah, well you're right about that.  I thought for the longest time that the song was very Partotic.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2004, 08:43:18 AM »
It didnt help that the Reagan campaign used it as a patriotic song....

About the only patriotic song that does anything for me is the Star Spangled Banner, and only when its not being butchered by a superstar or played at a sporting event. I hate that the current president has scrapped playing it at many occasions in favor of the easier to sing God Bless America...

I cant stand the Battle Hymn of the Repeublic with it's glory glory Hallelujahs, and JP Sousa really makes my head explode (Except the Liberty Bell March... and now for something completely different)

In formation at colors, and at other times the strains of the Star Spangled Banner nearly always cause my eyes to itch (a sure sign that tears are lurking just under the surface)

I really hate the folks who play bad patriotic music too. I mean just because you listen to Proud to be an American, it doesnt mean that you are doing more to help the boys in uniform. Its like putting a flag on your car, the bare minimum that you can do.

Argggh
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!