Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 34567 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2004, 07:43:29 PM »
mmm the smiths!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #151 on: January 02, 2004, 08:00:31 PM »
Elton John's "Circle of Life"

... must... supress... violent... urges...

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 02, 2004, 09:18:43 PM »
If those urges involve eating steak give in!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2004, 12:25:45 AM »
MMmMmm, Elton John, the other colored meat.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #154 on: January 07, 2004, 10:10:59 AM »
The Kinks!
I brought in a few of my favorites and listening to them roughly Chronologically. First was Greatest Hits, which is entirely recordings from the first 3 or 4 years otheir career. I should have brought in the EP collection I have, which is essentially the same thing, but with less interesting liner notes (which I don't  have time to read right now anyway) and a slightly more comprehensive song collection.

Now I'm on Something Else By The Kinks. (Oh how I wish I could be like David Watts) which has a lot of classic Kinksness including "Death of a Clown" (yay Dave!) and Waterloo Sunset. Again, I was tempted to bring in something else that would be more comprehensive (namely Kronikles), but I like this album by itself without getting wrapped up in whether some songs on Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround were worth including. (Yeah, I know none of you have any idea what I'm talking about, but take them as recommendations).

I also brought Arthur, Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire. Following on the tradition of The Who and even Pink Floyd in doing a "concept" or story album, this one was also actually taped and televised at production time (it worked for them too, they later did Percy and Preservation, both of which were produced on screen or stage). It starts to show Ray's absorbtion in his nationalism yet existential ennui, which he seems to believe extends to his whole nation. The title character ends up moving to Australia.

Finally, I brought Muswell Hillbillies, in which we see the Kinks trying to LOOK like Credence Clearwater Revival, but sound like... well... not anything else. More ennui, but in a more humorous way and it's pre-Chrissy Hynde marriage/break up, from which, as far as I can tell, he never recovered from. Includes the notable Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues, 20th Century Man, (together which must have had SOME influence on King Crimson's song) and the title track, which must have influenced Eddie Vedder's angst at being famous.

What's cool about the Kinks is partially how much they anticipate later alternative trends: the absorbtion in wondering what tech will do to us without being SF anticipates a lot of punk and alternative, not the least of which includes Bad Religion and Orgy, and grunge as a whole. They also, esp. going into the 80s, have a lot of archetypal melodies and rhythms that feel familiar the first time you hear them without actually being stolen from anywhere.

Yes, I'm a fan. How did you tell?

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2004, 12:33:39 PM »
Cliar

Bought them when I was in Scotland and can't get enough of them, though they don't seem to be known outside Scotland (Ent, you heard of them?). They're Scottish folk, fiddling and piping and tin whistle kind of stuff, and they sing in Gaehlig (or however the Scots spell it). Traditional tunes and mouth music, and new songs that sound traditional. Kind of in the same line as Kate Rusby, who I also highly recommend, a Yorkshire singer who's married to a Scot in her band, John McCusker, who's also a great instrumentalist and composer in his own right.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2004, 02:56:25 PM »
Do you mean Gaelic?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 09, 2004, 06:02:26 PM »
No, Scots Gaelic is spelled differently. There's a D or an H in there somewhere and I can never remember where. It's a different dialect, some say almost a different language. It's what they speak up on the Hebrides, upper highlands, etc. (in addition to English), and many roadsigns are in both languages with the movement to bring the language back. I found a Scots Gaehlig (that looks right) station on the radio when I was there. Unless it was coming over from Ireland and was Irish Gaelic, which is possible, because I was on the western coast.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 09, 2004, 06:11:43 PM »
Ah. Okay. And Gaehlig does look right, though I'm not sure where I would have seen it before.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #159 on: January 09, 2004, 07:31:22 PM »
well, it's only spelled different if you spell it in their language, but you don't type español or français or so forth

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2004, 01:49:13 AM »
 :P For some reason it just seems like it's supposed to be different.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2004, 08:12:10 AM »
Three new discs:

Kraftwerk -  Trans-Europe Express: great, but I've already got 90% of it on other discs.

Kraftwerk - The Man Machine: Brilliant, once again I've already got most of it, bit it includes three tracks I havn't heard before. Space Lab, Metropolis, and The Man Machine. Space lab is cool, Metropolis if Fantastic, and a counterpoint to Neon Lights. As such, this was a good purchase.

Marco Zaffarano - Minimalism: I'm listening to this now.  Rather good. It's minimalist techno, that seems to be ingeniusly minimalist in that it isn't just minimal techno, but it's minmal minimal techno, stripped down so much that it isn't so much listening to minimal techno as getting the *impression* of listening to minimal techno.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2004, 09:32:50 AM »
Marco Zaffarano - Minimalism: I'm listening to this now.  Rather good. It's minimalist techno, that seems to be ingeniusly minimalist in that it isn't just minimal techno, but it's minmal minimal techno, stripped down so much that it isn't so much listening to minimal techno as getting the *impression* of listening to minimal techno.

That sounds absolutely horrid.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2004, 09:40:47 AM »
Not if you like Minimalist Techno, as I do.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #164 on: January 14, 2004, 01:06:30 PM »
Jesus Jones "Doubt"

I haven't listend to this CD since High School, but it is VERY cool. I found out one of the guys in the service dept has very good tastes, and I've started borrowing his CDs. I'm very happy.