Author Topic: Song Lyrics Analysis  (Read 2377 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Song Lyrics Analysis
« on: February 12, 2005, 11:45:15 PM »
I don't know if this will catch on with you guys.  Why?  Well, because if you think about it, it's uncool to admit that you don't "get" the lyrics to almost any given song.  Whatever.  If nothing else, you guys can help answer my questions.  

So.  Fastball.  What exactly does "I'll be the rain falling on your fire escape" mean?  I don't get the metaphor.

And Ookla, Brenna, Mistress of Darkness - is it ok to say "And I may not be the man you want me to," or should there be a "be" at the end of that line?  Obviously the be is implied, but every time I hear the song it makes me do a kind of mental double take.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Song Lyrics Analysis
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 12:24:57 AM »
Fire escape could be someones hastiness in retreating to somewhere, and the rain the control that will set the fire out keeping you in balance.

Or, it's just to say I'll always be falling for you.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 09:00:37 AM »
rather than making something up, I prefer to put it into the context of the song.

The narrator doesn't want to be great or notable ("I don't wanna president, superman or clark kent" -- note that he rejects even the "mild mannered" sort of everyday notability of a newspaper reporter). He's ignorant and unlearned ("I don't know just what I've found, I don't know my sky from ground") and seemingly proud of it, or at least ok with that.

But, he CAN be himself ("how 'bout you?"). ie, he can do the things he's always done. I think in that context, he's just trying to offer all he can. He can be a pleasant moisture, or perhaps, in the end, all he can be is something that will keep her trapped in doors. i think there's two ways to take that. If it's a warm spring rain, maybe he thinks that's a pleasant image. if that's not pleasant, he's either a) the thing that will keep her indoors (ie, with him, because she doesn't wANT to leave) or be the thing that will trap her, but he can't be more. He's just warning her.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 09:31:04 AM »
I never thought of it as a trapping image; something noisy maybe.  A rain making a lot of noise on a big metal fire escape.  Maybe that's it, going with the unimportant/uneducated part - He can't be anyone really smart elegant or important, he can just be himself, which is ... loud and noisy.

Ok, I've reconfused myself.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 12:30:49 PM »
Maybe he is just saying that he would be anything just to be close to her. Or you could say that some people, when they are sad, find it comforting to look out the window (in an apartment this would be by the fire escape) and watch the rain fall. So he could be saying that he is content to be a comfort to her in hard times.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 02:55:54 AM »
The "be" can be left out/understood. Technically it's called elision.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 07:42:27 PM »
Though I haven't heard the song (which would be helpful for a contextual influence--songs are usually about one topic, so if you know what one of the verses means you can use that to infer a meaning into a verse you do not understand) it sounds like he/she is saying the following:

It seems to me like he/she is saying that they will always be around to hinder the peson he/she is talking to, as in their memory will always slow the person down because that person will always be looking back and wondering what could have been or thinking about what a great opportunity they gave up.  "I'll be the rain falling on your fire escape" or "I'll be the hinderance slowing you down", as using a wet fire escape is tricky--wet metal is slippery and will always make you rethink your purpose and will slow you down.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!