Author Topic: Gaming Fiction  (Read 2685 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Gaming Fiction
« on: May 05, 2003, 06:00:06 PM »
After spending my whole life avoiding gaming fiction in all forms (specifically AD&D game fiction...ehhh)  I finally broke down and read some Demon game fiction when a friend let me borrow "Lucifer's Shadow."   It's not bad.  Not great, either though.  

Anyone else know of any gaming fiction that is actually worth the read?  The first one of you who even mentions Dragonlance is going to get a face full of pie, too. 'Dragons of the Summer Whatever' is the book that started my dislike for game fiction.  It might have been good when you're 12, but it doesn't age well.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Gaming Fiction
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 06:16:13 PM »
I avoid all game-based fiction, to the point of not even reading the fiction that comes in game books (Nightbane is a major offender in this category). I did read the Drizzt books, or at least the first three. The first two were excellent because they broke out of the gaming mold altogether, and presented a pretty intriguing world, but the third was back to the same old crappy formula (which is why I never read any further).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2003, 06:23:43 PM »
I read loads. I may grab the Demon series just to see how they advance the metaplot.
Ive got a fair few GW ones. You can check out what they are like by wandering around the blacklibrary website... available thru GW website. The writers know how to write a good battle, for obvious reasons.

Does Amber count? And ehhhh... I still need to get the second 5 part series of amber... the ones that are with corwins son.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2003, 06:57:58 PM »
No, Amber doesn't count since the game is based on the books.  And do yourself a favor Entropy and skip the last five books of Amber.  They were no only a complete disappointment storywise, but he takes the Amber megaverse into places I really don't like.  Just my .02

I have actually heard encouraging things about GW's books.  But given my vow to never support that company again...  ;D

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 08:39:00 PM »
I kinda find all White Wolf and WotC stuff to be pretty bad, so I avoid them like unwashed socks.  I do like the stuff based on Warhammer, both the fantasy and 40K stuff.  I particularly liked the Necromunda book.  Plus, there are just so many to pick from.  You might want to give them a try.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2003, 08:42:17 PM »
The Dragon lance books by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman (cronicals and legends) are still some of my favorite books.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2003, 09:01:30 PM »
Someone throw a pie in that man's face!  :P

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2003, 11:19:03 PM »
He'd eat it before it connected. The man's a machine.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2003, 03:13:20 AM »
Actually I loved the Dragonlance books back when I first got into gaming at around age 12.  much later in my 20's I picked up the first book to enjoy the series all over again.  After about twenty pages I put it down thinking "Oh my god, did I actually used to LIKE these books?"  I guess you really can't go home again.  I used to think Raistlin was so cool.  Now I just want to whack him with a blunt instrument and yell "GET OVER YOURSELF ALREADY!!"  I guess you appreciate angst far less once you leave your teens.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2003, 06:54:00 AM »
Mr pleasington, check out the "black library" thread i posted ages ago.... there is a link to a particularly good 40k book excerpt - "Storm of Iron" - a story of iron warriors beseiging a imperial fortress. Very good book.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch