Author Topic: Future of Comic Books  (Read 9420 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Future of Comic Books
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2003, 12:03:37 AM »
Doubtful. Not soon at least. They're stores, pure and simple. and they don't "display" the art. I don't see a real precedent for it either.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2003, 03:04:42 AM »
This is the near future of one comic book:

there was a link here, but to keep you from clicking on it and getting denied I erased it.  See Spriggan's subsequent post.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 03:40:44 AM by Lieutenant_Kije »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2003, 03:07:26 AM »
we can't see that article uless we're an AOL member or have a subscription to EW Kije.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2003, 03:38:44 AM »
Oh, sorry.  Well, the link goes to a brief story about how Princess Di is going to appear in an X-Men splinter group called X-Statix.  She'll return from the dead, this time with mutant powers (which were not revealed.)  Apparently the author treats this particular title as a parody on modern celebrity.  And the royals are disgusted, as one might expect.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2003, 09:18:49 AM »
freaky

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2003, 10:17:23 AM »
Not surprised. How would you like it if someone told you that some berk you do not know was using your dead mother for the main character of a mutant comicbook? Some people need to learn respect for others, and to stop regarding other peoples losses as something to cash in on.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2003, 10:55:28 AM »
Please, they brought her back as a hero, honestly thats pretty cool when you think about it.  
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2003, 11:57:21 AM »
No, it is disrespectful and blatent attention grabbing.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2003, 12:00:14 PM »
now prince charles as the Black Addler that's totaly acceptable
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2003, 03:06:49 PM »
I have two questions.
one. Do you have a problem with it just because its Di, or because its a dead person. If she was alive would it be such a big deal?

2. Have you actually read it?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2003, 03:22:13 PM »
I have one counter-question;

Do people in your neck of the woods get taught things like decency and respect for others?

Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2003, 03:28:27 PM »
Are you kidding?  This is America!
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2003, 03:58:42 PM »
This coming from a country with more tabloids and Papparazzi than the US has trashy talk shows.

Yes in fact they do, however it seems shallow to pass judgement on one thing you haven't read when you ignore a whole list of possibilities. How is Di as a superhero any more deplorable and voyuristic than depicting the men of the 101st Airborne like in Band of Brothers. Or Winston Churchill or Kennedy.  You could make the argument that these films are historical, or at least have some value, but some people involved in the project might just disagree. Marvel could do a very poignent comic on the burden of celebrity and the nature of true heroism. They could also do meaningless crap. I think its only disrespectful if they do the latter. If they manage to pull off the former I think its a heck of a lot more respectful than the gits who leave flowers in front of her estate and treat it like a shrine.

You ask if I have respect and decency,...

The day you go down to Haiti and build a school for kids with your bare hands, or help administer CPR to a Cuban refugee dying on the deck of your ship, or help feed 200 migrants who had been packed onto a boat the size of a mini is the day I care about what kind of a person you think I am.  Im pretty satisfied with the type of person I am and the choices I've made.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 04:16:01 PM by ElJeffe »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2003, 05:14:38 PM »
Right. So you get taught decency. So at what point does taking a dead person and radically changing them, with absolutely no consultation from their next of kin, become defendable? The nature of the comic is irrelevant. How would you feel if that happened to your mother? Hmm?

Oh, and lose the self rightuous crap already. And not all British are the same. So not all of us like the paparazzi.

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2003, 06:50:25 PM »
At the point where compassion and taste elevate the status of the person, or at least dont sully the reputation of the dead.

Just because Marvel is bringing the Dead princess Diana in as a character doesn't mean that they are going to sully her reputation or the reputation of the Royal Family. I think there is a way to tastefully bring DI in as a hero. Frankly I think comic books are a good forum to examine the effect of the media circus frenzy. And I dont see it as a major personality rewrite either (like you seem to do). DI was as far as I can tell a hero for her work with AIDS and Landmines. The leap from hero to superhero isn't that far.
If it were my mom I would be excited and proud.

Now, what you call self rightous I call a lesson in generalization. You were quick to call me and the people "in my neck of the woods" disrespectful and indecent without knowing who I was or what I do. I work for the United States Coast Guard. We're like you RLSS only bigger with 35,000 people to protect and work in a vast amount of ocean. I joined the Coast Guard to preserve human life (which I think is sacred) and to help people in need.
I recognize that not all British people are the same and not all of them like the Paparazzi. My comment was added to futher illustrate the danger or generalizations... Mr. pot meet Mr. Kettle