Author Topic: Serious books in your library  (Read 4391 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Serious books in your library
« on: April 18, 2003, 04:18:47 PM »
So we know what your reading at the beach, but what about when you get really serious? What books do gamers pick up when they want to expand their minds?

Currently Im reading John Steinbeck translation of the Mallory Text of Le Morte De Arthur ,Entitled "the Acts of King Arthur and his noble knights." Im also reading a book about Journalism During WWII.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Re: Serious books in your library
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 04:58:57 PM »
Unfortunately most of my reading is for school, but when I have the time I'm trying to read Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities.  My wife bought it a while ago and it's taken me a while, but I finally have sat down and started it.

Aside from that, I just finished reading Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee for the second time.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2003, 05:06:32 PM »
Thats a great book! I love Dee Brown

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 09:08:25 PM »
Hey! Are you saying that my reading *isn't* serious? All my reading is serious. From Harry Potter to Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces and Marina Warner's From the Beast to the Blonde, I'm expanding my mind!  ;)

Okay, so  maybe Harry Potter's a little more on the light reading side, but oh well. I get to at least pretend to be serious about it.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2003, 10:24:10 AM »
By serious I just mean not currently on the best-seller list. Or if you prefer Classics and Non-fiction.

PS does anyone know the most widely read type of book in the world?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2003, 10:35:35 AM »
I've got the whole Romance of the three kingdoms...Talk about a hard read.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2003, 10:41:03 AM »
WOW, like the time I read war and peace. You know when I was 10.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2003, 07:56:43 PM »
Sun Tzu's Art of War tops my serious list now...on top of several book on ocular disease.  Also Thus Spoke Zarathustra and Tao of Pooh are up for being reread.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2003, 03:09:20 AM »
I just finished reading a book called "Japans longest day". All about the last 24 hours of the japanese empire, and the process of surrendering. Very good read. Made the 16 hour trip back from Japan more bearable.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2003, 01:44:43 PM »
Now Im reading Citizen Soldiers which really is a great book to get free at Borders.

Er they have a buy 3 get 1 of = or lesser value right now.

Arathorn

• Level 3
  • Run Ronnie run!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2003, 09:20:32 PM »
PS does anyone know the most widely read type of book in the world?

The Bible, I'm pretty sure...  I think the LoTR trilogy could be considered serious reading considering how much of his life Tolkien put into the story. Other, than that it would be 1984 by George Orwell.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2003, 09:44:13 PM »
I only read RPGs and fiction for the most part

That's not true, I read Understanding Literature this summer. However, I listen to college lectures in my car. I usually listen to Great Authors of the Western Literary Tradition (a survey course about, well, great authors and their written works). I'll be done with that in a few weeks. I don't know what I'll listen to next, but I've got about 100 of them at home, so I won't be bored. Maybe I'll go with a science course, like Einstein's Relativity and the Quantum Revolution.

When I don't have access to a car with a tape player, I'm listening to Great Minds of the Western Intellectual Tradition. Which is, of course, a survey course on Intellectual history. Going is slow because I can usually take my own car to work. It's also not as interesting. I recently finished Rise and Fall of Soviet Communism, Discovery of Ancient Civilizations, King Arthur and Chivalry, and Great World Religions. Only the last of which I won't recommend, primarily because it sucked. However, not recommending it is kind of moot because my company has realized it sucks and is releasing a new version in a few weeks.

Oh yes, these are the courses my company produces. http://www.teach12.com is the site if you're interested.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2003, 01:49:36 PM »
You have lots other non fiction.... and a BOM does count toward serious reading.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2003, 02:27:44 PM »
Yes, but I haven't been READING that other nonfiction. Having it sitting on the shelf is fine, but it really only helps if you read it.

I said in the other "reading" thread that I tried to start Understanding Media and Comic Book Nation, and while I do still intend to get to those, they weren't what I was looking for at the time. Looks like Will Eisner and Scott McCloud will be my primary sources still for that project.

There is, however, the Llama book. I'm still slowly working my way through that. It really only takes about an hour a chapter, but I tend to go for 3 or 4 weeks between chapters.

So yeah, in my library? I have loads of books on aesthetics, religion, and literature (Guillen's book on lit is particularly good). But read recently? REally only the courses and RPG books.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2003, 03:24:01 PM »
I'll loan you some stuff on Napolean III.