Author Topic: Harry Potter 5 *Spoilers*  (Read 5824 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Harry Potter 5 *Spoilers*
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2003, 09:51:39 AM »
We don't really have an internal reason to believe that was not Snape's worst memory, so we probably should expect it, unless we think there's supposed to be a surprise about it, which I dont' believe. AND, incidentally, Voldemort thinks that Snape is still in his camp, right? He's the double agent. So he wouldn't have any horrible memories of that. I still maintain it's highly believeable that Snapes worst memory is getting horribly tormented in front of what ammounted to his whole teenage world.

And Tonks is probably not twice Harry's age. She's a brand new Auror, which means she might only be 3 years older than Harry.

Rowling complaining about her money sounds an awful lot like Eddie Vetter complaining about his fame. If it's such a frickin burden than wtf do you keep putting out the records (or in this case, books). Both of them whine about their current status but both seem content to perpetuate their current status.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2003, 01:28:35 PM »
SE, I think you're making a lot of stuff up or reading between the lines too much. There is nothing to suggest that Harry saw Snape's worst memory. We don't even know if Snape placed his worse memory in there. All we know is that he placed the memorie he didn't want Harry to see inside the device.

Also, when Professor McGonigal was explaining to Harry what is takes to become an Auror, she mentioned that is meant it took at least three years of school after taking the N.E.W.T.S. So Tonks is more than 3 years older than Harry. Besides the late 1980's description of Tonks, clearly places her two generations older than Harry. My thought is that Tonks is going to be the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2003, 03:16:41 PM »
The chapter where Harry sees Snape's memory is titled "Snape's Worst Memory." That seems little more concrete than you're suggesting, 42.

As for the next Dark Arts teacher, my guess is either Lupin or Snape. Lupin has proven himself time and again, and Dumbledore has recently gotten the authority to do pretty much whatever he wants, so I'm sure he could get a werewolf back onto the staff. And Snape, as she was sure to point out, has applied for the position every year, and it would be a cool development for his character. (Also, getting Snape out of potions is the only way to get Harry into the class at NEWT level, since there's no chance he got an Outstanding on his potion OWL.)

I kind of think that Tonks is there to act as a foil to Moody. The two of them make a really interesting Auror team that I'd like to see stick together and get into some adventures. That said, if my other guesses are wrong either Tonks or Moody would make a good Dark Arts teacher.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2003, 11:14:36 PM »
Yeah, there are concrete references to his worst memory.

And even so, that makes her possibly 5 years older. And it's not just late 80s. Hair dying still happens. Green Day, Pink, many others. Where have you been? Oh, yeah, Utah. Nm.

I think that Snape is dark arts. If I remember right, potions aren't as crucial to auror study. But then we'll lose Snape as a teacher (I remember thinking this as I read it). So if we move Snape to dark arts, then we still get the Snape/Harry relationship.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2003, 11:17:31 PM »
The new DATDA teacher will be a new character as it is an established tradition that (1) it is always a new character and (2) something bad happens to them by the end of the book to ensure the need for a new teacher the next year.

That being said, I still think it would be cool to see Snape, the double agent and former Death Eater, become the new DATDA teacher as an ironic twist.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2003, 01:56:24 PM »
I don't think that the Dark Arts teacher HAS to be somebody new--just because she's done it so far doesn't mean she'll have to keep it up. Altering her formula will keep it fresh (kind of like how the "big twist" in this book is that there's no twist). I think Snape has a very good shot at becoming the new Dark Arts teacher, which will make the Harry/Snape relationship even more interesting since Dark Arts is arguably Harry's best subject.

As long as we're making predictions, let me ask you this: who from Slytherin will join Harry's group? (Or the DA, if it still exists.) The sorting hat made a big deal about how everyone would have to band together, and then three of the four Houses united in the DA (though only Gryffindor was allowed to fight in the big battle--that was disappointing). The only one left is Slytherin, and I think somebody from there has to come over eventually. I really don't think it will be Malfoy, but I suppose it could.

I suppose you could argue that Snape already fills the role of "good Slytherin," but I don't think he counts. We need a student. The single biggest fault in this series is the idea that everyone in Slytherin is evil--it's an incredibly stupid premise, and I really want to see it turn around eventually.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2003, 09:29:50 PM »
Possibbly, Crabbe or Goyle could join the good guys. I'm waiting for the good guy from Slytherin to show up too. However, I'm afraid Rawlings won't do it because it would make a lot of third-graders upset.

Ans SE, your whole is Harry/Tonks relationship thing is just lame. I just don't see it happening.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2003, 12:07:30 AM »
Ans SE, your whole is Harry/Tonks relationship thing is just lame. I just don't see it happening.

I think you're being lame. I had an idea that you can't argue against as successfully as you like and so you just write it off. In truth, the idea wasn't entirely in seriousness so I don't know why arguing against it is so important to you. I don't see it happening either, but I think it woudl be fun.

I don't think Snape works for the "good Slytherin" either. He certainly isn't working on unity with Harry.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2003, 03:27:57 AM »
Hum.  I like the Snape Dark Arts suggestion.  However, I think that's a major character development that might be better off in book Seven.  

I, like Dan, thought that the metamorph character was a HUGE gun on the mantle.  I kept expecting one of the characters to turn out to have been her in disguise all the time.  It's still too much of an opportunity for a Rolling-esque surprise for her to ignore, I think.  I wouldn't be surprised to find a 'new' student in the next book who turns out to be Tonks.

As for the Harry/Tonks thing, I think it's a bit of a streatch, but not an unbelievable one.  Personally, I think he has to end up with a student we've been following for a long time for empathy.  I don't think Rolling would pair him off with an older woman simply because that might seem like too much of a betrayal to her young audience, who would subconciously wonder why one of the students wasn't good enough.  

So, I predict a new Dark Arts teacher for the next book, Snape in the seventh.  Tonks pretending to be a student, or at least someone unexpected, in the next book.  (Which, actually, could let SE's Tonks relationship have an interesting little twist...)  And Harry ending up with a student.  (Ron's sister?  Yeah, I know, seems too obvious.)

Now, here's another question.  You think she's planning another series after this one, Harry the Auror?  You'll notice the beginning, which lists previous books, lists them as 'First year at Hogwarts' 'Second year at Hogwarts' ect.  I wouldn't be surprised if she had Harry end up with someone simple at the end of this series, say Cho, to give some completion, then had him go on for marriage to someone else later on.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2003, 09:29:33 AM »
interesting thoughts EUOL. Of course it's all speculation, but just as good as any, better than many

I don't know how I'd feel about another series. Once you get into Harry as adult you're out of the children's comfort zone. But that's already programmed into the current series, so I wonder if it won't happen anyway. Don't know how long I'd keep reading.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2003, 11:52:13 AM »
I saw an interview with Rowling where she said that the seventh book is it - she's moving on to something else entirely.  I don't know if I believe it or not, but she sounded fairly determined.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2003, 05:37:27 PM »
I suspect that Harry will end up with Ron's sister Ginny, assuming Rowling doesn't just toss in a new character altogether. It won't be Hermione because of the developing Ron/Hermione thing, and it won't be Cho becuase, well, nobody actually stays with their first high school romance (a couple of exceptions notwithstanding). Ginny is the best choice because she's been there the whole time, she's becoming a more important character, she's not chasing Harry, and Harry's not chasing her. Sure it's obvious, like EUOL said, but I think it will have to be.

The other option is Luna Lovegood, which could be interesting. Or Pansy Parkinson, if she becomes the "Good Slytherin." :)

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2003, 11:21:54 PM »
ick. Not Luna.

What about that chick from the French school? She sounded like a hottie.

And another possibility: He doesn't end up with anyone. we're all so anxious to hook him up, but he will only be 17 when the series ends.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2003, 11:24:41 PM »
What about Moaning Myrtle?  Hey, just a thought.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2003, 11:34:36 PM »
no good. Harry's not Mormon