Author Topic: Peter David  (Read 2034 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Peter David
« on: June 19, 2003, 09:18:14 AM »
I was going to comment how after reading Sir Apropos of Nothing and his Supergirl run, some of his Hulk run, and the new TMNT comic, that I'd read My Little Pony if Peter David wrote it.

But then in the library I passed by a huge range of Star Trek novels he wrote. and uh... I'm still hesitant to pick up anything of that ilk... Though I did borrow a Hulk novel by him....

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
Re: Peter David
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 12:37:46 PM »
Note to self: Look for Peter David Star Trek novels.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 11:33:35 PM »
No, seriously, I do recommend SAoN. But I can't get into star trek novels.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 08:28:55 AM »
I have read a few star trek novels. They were... underpar compared to the next gen series. Not bad, by any shot, just... they felt like a fairly mundane episode, stretched out a bit. They did not really take advantage of the format, if you get my drift.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 07:19:42 PM »
I remember enjoying them when I was 15....

Though, to be honest, I actually do remember David's books being the best of the lot when I was reading them.  Of course, that's probably like saying that Salvatore is the best of the Forgotten Realms lot.  When the entire sub-genra is a bit under-par, the few writers who aren't quite as bad get to shine.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 08:44:10 PM »
Ok, just to further this comment, I finally had a chance to read TMNT #'s 2 and 3.

I'm not sure what David's doing here. He's doing a recap of early turtle stories, (in these two issues, the Mousers) and leading up to an over all connection to Shredder, which is a dramatic rewrite of the original stories, where Shredder "dies" in the first issue (only to come back in true comic book villain style and kick Leonardo's shell into the stone age).

BUT!

He's skipping stuff
And that's just being nitpicky if I left it at that.
But he's skipping stuff that her REFERS TO INSIDE THE COMIC!!!!

I'll have to write him a letter.  Maybe it got edited out for space, or maybe we'll get a flashback in an upcoming issue (he works a LOT with flashbacks).

Dream Wave is getting another letter from me, incidentally.

I still like David's style
The first two issues kind of don't even feature the Turtles, it's more like things that happened and the turtles happened to be around. They don't show up in issue 2 again until VERY late in the series except as hallucinations.

Anyway, I whine, but I still buy.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 06:31:01 PM »
It's time once again to go all fanboy on you.

TMNT #4 is out (and, incidentally, I've found that Peter Laird is running a series at the same time: it's on issue 11 and the two continuities don't appear to be ... continuous for lack of a better word... Laird -- one of the two creators of the characters -- has just killed off Splinter rather permanently, promising not to bring him back). I've finally figured out what David is doing with these. There's an underlying assumption that you watch the TV series (I don't, I don't even have access to watch it if I DID have time to watch it), so that's why he skips some stuff. In fact, the first 4 issues have been retellings of TV episodes from different character points of view. This is bothersome, I want my comics self contained, if not within an issue, at least within the series. However, it's still worth reading, as David is doing to terrific things with character; and the annoying aspect is mitigated by the fact that everything that's been done so far has also been retellings/revamping/refitting of stories from the original comic book series, so any information that is assumed, can be safely assumed by anyone who's followed the stories before.

TMNT #4 is about Raphael's first meeting with Casey Jones. If you don't know the backstory: Casey is a vigilante, wears a hockey mask, and weilds sports equipment, mostly baseball bats and hockey sticks, with which to pummel his foes. He's usually used as Raph's foil, so that he has someone to help him see why discipline would be so important, something to keep him in the path, so to speak.
TMNT #4 looks at the story from Casey's point of view, something we haven't gotten before. It's a little bit Daredevil, a little bit Punisher, and a lot deluded. When he finally confronts his neighbor (in combat regalia) to stop him from beating his kids, we get not only the standard abused child and wife stand up for the abusive father, but the father gets extremely protective.  I don't do it justice here, but David (with Lesean's penciling) in a few short panels pulls down a huge amount of angst and self doubt. All of which Casey buries quickly by returning to his home and repeating his mantra, like an 8-year-old child, about how his mom and dad will come back some day and they'll be a real family.

Touching, sad, and psychological. It's a brilliant thread of character, especially with just a few references from Raph about his own, similar issues. Despite my complaints, I love this comic.