Author Topic: The Dark is Rising  (Read 3920 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: The Dark is Rising
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2003, 01:45:19 AM »
None of the Yep books sounds familiar. Maybe I just saw his name or something.

As for national mythology, african-american myth is on the rise big time right now, though it started in the "mainstream" market before moving into fantasy.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2003, 06:59:28 PM »
Hmph. Just noticed that my mother has all 5 books in one of her book shelf unit things. Between Narnia and LoTR, which is a prestigious placement. Guess i'll read them. Hopefully i get into these better than that arthur series, which i just bounced out of after 10 pages.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

fnord

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2003, 12:21:21 PM »
I've wondered about the number of young adult books based on western mythology before, Susan Cooper's books were among my favorite when I was young.  Since then I've come across more books based on eastern myths, such as Journey to the West (which is an interesting one to read at the same time as Hesse's Journey to the East).  I think in the US at least we often just don't know about the books based on other culture's myths because of difficulties in the translation of both the text and the ideas.  And our authors don't write books based on non-Western myths because they are outside our experience and knowledge.  

Another interesting series from the UK is the "His Dark Materials" books by Philip Pullman.  Its a shame they aren't as popular as the Potter books, I think they are more thought provoking for kids - though perhaps that is why they are less popular.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2003, 05:25:00 PM »
See, now why is this the case? If you could just chalk it up to unfamiliarity, well, is that a human species thing? Because Eastern literature, particularly that of Japan, takes a LOT of western folklore and myth and incorporates it.

Or maybe that's just what I've seen because the westerners will import stuff that's easier to take.

I think the third variation on what you're saying is that we DO get the influence of non-western culture, but we just don't recognize it. (maybe that's what you said but I just didn't understand you correctly). For example, the Magnificent Seven. How many non-Kurosawa fans knew it was based on his flick "Seven Samurai?" Just throwing out some thoughts. I don't have it all organized yet, but one more:

Multi-culturalism is a relatively new thing in the West. We still aren't used to it. But most non-western cultures have been in Colonial situations in the last couple hundred years: Africa, India, Japan, China... and have had another culture forced on them. That's why we hesitate to do it, because while these non-western cultures are used to colonial powers, using non-native mythology ocmes easier to them. While we think we're becoming "mature" by making an effort to incorporate non-western elements.

I actually have a really cool serial fiction or comic planned relying heavily on some Buddhist and Chinese religious concepts. I just need an artist or a forum for the fiction (I'd prefer comic for this one).