Author Topic: Renaissance Magazine  (Read 3901 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Renaissance Magazine
« on: October 25, 2003, 11:02:08 AM »
OK, i bought it because they had a cover article about "Women of Arthurian Legend" which I have not gotten too.

As expected, I am stricken by the utter nerdery of some re-enactors. Some of this stuff is just way over the top, and while I admit that a wedding ring with some Celtic knot work would have been cool, having a "renaissance wedding" screams both expense and well, an inability to connect with the real world. I do, however, have to admit that getting reproductions of hte tabards and helmets of the characters in Monty Python and the Holy Grail (including the Black Knight -- yes, the dismembered one) would be a kick: too bad you can't get a full size wooden rabbit.

The ad that ticked me off the worst was an ad selling weapons and armor (not claiming to be authentic, however) where one border side listed the phone number, one side listed the web site, and the other two had Greek characters with the phonetic equivelent of "ChssSPSTphS OsS sTphSOo HESPchCHphO Pphr PSPHCHPS" The corners of the border had (clockwise from top left) PH, e, l, N (again, in greek). I'm not sure what they were trying to do with that. The crappy Greek mish-mash removes any claim to authenticity, and Greek doesn't seem particularly Renaissance (or Medieval, which more than half of the stuff has alluded to) anyway. Sounds like they got some guy in shipping to whip it up on his computer.

No, I haven't gotten to any articles, I'm on p 32 and finding the first non-ad, longer than one column piece in the magazine -- which appares to be feminist mis-representation of the definition of Chivalry. I don't think I'll be buying this magazine in the future.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance Magazine
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 12:06:57 PM »
Its pretty crappy, I've looked at it before...
their goal is to recreate Renfaire,... not the Rennaissance and their history articles are written by creative writing majors.

I bought a copy about 3 years ago and had to burn it,... and I dont burn periodicles.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 08:05:57 AM »
/me dubs Jeffe a book burning nazi
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 09:09:41 AM »
Im going to ask you nicely to take that back, since its the rudest, most insulting thing anyone has ever said to me, especially since some of my relatives died in the holocaust and several members of my family also died removing the nazi's from power.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 01:41:34 PM »
Ok, so i am pretty confused Jeffe. I apologize if i offended you.

But remember, it was a jest. I am not in the habit of offending people without good reason (at least, not while i am in a good mood).
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 01:50:48 PM »
and I know which was why I asked you nicely, calling someone a Nazi where I come from starts fistfights.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 08:35:38 PM »
I'm afraid the term has kind of fallen out of the discomfort zone for most of us, Jeffe.  Sienfeld's 'Soup Nazi' and other references have reduced the term to something more benign than it once was.  When many of us worked at the sf magazine, the production staffers were often referred to as 'proofreading nazis.'

That is, of course, not to say you don't have a right to be offended by the term.  It does, after all, refer to one of the more evil organizations in the modern world.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 08:44:49 PM »
My great uncle spent half of WWII in a Nazi Prizon Camp, not exactly a fan of fascism.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2003, 07:49:53 AM »
Jeffe, you do realise that by your words you are implying that i do support fascism?

Fellfrosch

wolverine_men

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • GeekSpeak
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2003, 08:00:17 AM »
I've always thought that ppl who feel that calling someone a nazi in todays day and age is going to offend that person are just being ridiculous and incredulous.
I got one visitor today.
http://www.geekspeak.netfirms.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2003, 08:11:58 AM »
1) in this particular thread, it IS kind of obnoxious for anyone to continue to think that anyone meant offense. Jeffe pointed out that Entropy said something he thought was appropriate. He did it nicely, and I don't think anyone really believes he was trying to say Entropy supports fascism. We should probably drop it.

2) however, it's incredibly insensitive to believe that people always use the term nazi without meaning offense. Sometimes they're joking, like with the Soup Nazi and in this thread, but esp in politics it is used quite often and quite effectively to call the object of the insult a subhuman bastard.  It is still a very sensitive issue, esp for minorities and people who are sensitive to racial issues (like yours truly and Jeffe). Nazi-ism is still a current issue. All sorts of neo-fascists still exist and still commit violence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2003, 10:55:32 AM »
How am I saying that entropy? Im just saying I dont like to be called a NAZI since Naziism and Fascism are diametrically opposed to what I or my family belive and have fought and bled for. I realized that you didn't know that, which is why I told you I found it offensive. As far as Im concerned you and I are square,... even (dont know the Slang for what im trying to say in British)

I've always thought that ppl who feel that calling someone a nazi in todays day and age is going to offend that person are just being ridiculous and incredulous

Wolverine-man.
Ridiculous and incredulous?
Refusing to belive that word NAZI is hurtful? Oh please, the word is not as harmless as you think. What image are you conjuring when you call a politician a book burning Nazi, or even a Jackbooted thug (one thats slightly less offensive but still tied to NAZI's) Your conjuring up imagages of mass book burnings in Munich, and concentration camps the mass execution of communists, Catholics, the Handicapped, Elderly, Mormons, Jehovas Witnesses, the Blitz and Battle of Britain. the Occupation of France, Holland, Poland, Czechloslovakia, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Serbia, Croatia, Greece, Hungary, Austria and huge portions of Russia, Dr. Mengela and all the other baggage of the Nazi regime. I bring all of that up for the impact no other nation in the History of the world has done what the Nazi Third Reich did and no one should ever forget it either.
Being called a Nazi is being called a lot of things at once, a warmonger, a racist, a murderer and a mindless thug.
Unlike Mel Brooks and Seinfeld, Im not Jewish, Im not an entertainer, I dont have a TV show and frankly
I dont see any need to soften the impact of Naziism, just like I dont see a need to soften the impact of Stalinism. If you think Im overreacting I invite you to visit the Holocaust museum in Washington DC or pay a trip to Buchenwald Belsun or Auchwitz.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2003, 11:08:13 AM by ElJeffe »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2003, 01:42:08 PM »
I'll just toss this into the pile for no reason: nazism and fascism are two separate ideologies.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2003, 01:54:42 PM »
Not really.  The only significant difference between the two is that Naziism adds racism to the mix.  Nazism is a form of facism (although not all fascism is nazism).   I admit that there is a discernable difference, but in the context of this conversation, the difference is minor.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2003, 04:26:55 PM »
Really. Lennin was not a nazi. Nor was Stalin for that matter.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo