Author Topic: Novel in a month  (Read 36307 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Novel in a month
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2003, 08:21:27 AM »
for one thing I either spell it lich or lyche, no point in only going halfway on this. But do as you like.
A lich, to me (influenced by D&D as I am) is a powerful, evil user of magic who has gotten him stuck between life and death in a horrible unlife that he thinks is a good substitute for real immortality. They eventually rot away, but it takes thousands of years.

Of course, I've often toyed with ideas for how to make a "good guy" who is voluntarily undead - usually because it's the only way he can accomplish what he needed to do, but it torments him. (Note: this is not the "friendly ghost" sort of thing, they're usually not undead on purpose).

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2003, 11:53:02 AM »
My husband played a character like that. He was a holy warrior, who fought and defeated a lych (I like that spelling better, but I'll have to look into folk tales). Unfortunately, there was no place for all of the evil magic/aura to go and he didn't want to leave it there for some other evil to absorb, so he took it on himself (or something, I can't remember). And this made him like a lyche, (eh) but trying to fight for good so that the curse could be removed or something and then he could go to heaven. It was a dark superhero campaign.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2003, 01:11:51 PM »
sort of a modified spawn idea. For that to really work, the lyche-dom must be corrupting in some way, making him want to keep the power and tempted to stop seeking redemption.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2003, 01:17:44 PM »
I think i am gonna pull out.
1) My own pc is nuked, and i have trouble getting on my dads pc during the weekends and often during the week. That would impair speed dramatically.
2) I have a lot of other things i want to get done. The SE-Entropy secret project, research on the cradle of civilisation and the biblical period. Consumption of mucho chocolate. The usual.

I'd be more than willing to take ganders at anyones stuff, and i will be waiting for yah at the finish line ;)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2003, 01:29:02 PM »
Hey, anyone got a laptop they can send Entropy in Scotland?

That's too bad. Maybe you could help us with ideas when we get stuck. I need a cool villian name that sounds classy without being femmy.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2003, 01:41:34 PM »
I tried Ebon and used the tolkien dwarf and warhammer dark elf lists. Three possibilities :

Gind
Thalieth
Kariour (sounds arthurian)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2003, 01:41:35 PM »
Tuxedo Mask?

JUST KIDDING! That one's already been used.

Sorry to hear it Entropy. You can do it by hand!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2003, 01:45:33 PM »
You haven't seen my handwriting.

Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2003, 01:47:06 PM »
Plus, its not a biggie. I can always do it in december or january with jam paladin after all.

Fellfrosch

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2003, 05:05:44 PM »
Yeah, that's what I tried too. They either sound to elvish, too dwarvish or too orcish. I'm just going for evil.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2003, 05:11:41 PM »
*I* don't have to see your handwriting. You do.
If this works and turns out good enough, I might be willing to do this 3 or 4 times a year. so Maybe I'll join you.
Less than 8 hours till the story of Pexillo (known as Peks to his friends, and Pox to his tormentors) begins. Or maybe he'll have a different name. Probably he will. I hate this. I haven't even started and I'm already conflicted about his name.

Anyone as nervous about this as me?

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2003, 05:16:33 PM »
Me! Visions of failure dance in my head and all the denial I have at my exposure isn't helping.

I'm going to be at a friend's house for a Halloween party, and I will probably start writing at her house right at midnight. Because starting is the hardest part, right?

Don't worry about his name. If it is okay to you now, it will gain in coolness as you get used to it. That has been my experience anyway.

/me pats Saint on the back

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2003, 05:20:29 PM »
actually, I've already decided I hate his name
I need a new one, but it has to have a similar sound at the beginning
Because I like the short for Peks
So, we need names for MoD's villain and my hero
Maybe they could be the same name
And everyone has to use that name in their story!
(just kidding)
I'm totally blanking on names right now.I'm staring at my action figures and remembering their names: Ben Reilly, Peter Parker, Frank (there's a classy villain for you!) Remy leBeau, Jean Grey, Cletus Kassidy.... Those do NOT help.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2003, 05:41:05 PM »
Of course, I've often toyed with ideas for how to make a "good guy" who is voluntarily undead - usually because it's the only way he can accomplish what he needed to do, but it torments him. (Note: this is not the "friendly ghost" sort of thing, they're usually not undead on purpose).

Have you read Garth Nix's Sabriel-Lirael-Abhorsen trilogy? You might find an interesting take on that. Though not exactly what you're describing, it might give you some ideas, especially the first one, Sabriel.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2003, 05:47:40 PM »
well... it's like having children: There's never a good time
When ARE you going to do it?

That's exactly what I ask myself from time to time. This last summer was supposed to be my writing summer, and then I decided to take a class after all. I think writing just isn't very high on my priority list right now. Though I'm considering taking next semester off and just working to earn money for school, so it might make for some premium writing time if I take advantage of it. I usually don't, as evidenced by this summer. But that was summer. Who wants to be inside writing when you could be at the beach or out on a bike ride? January in Boston, though? Perfect climate for writing. Preferably in a nice thick sweater. Maybe I'll join Entropy and Jam for their later session.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 05:48:44 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing