Author Topic: Novel in a month  (Read 36226 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Novel in a month
« Reply #345 on: November 18, 2003, 10:24:17 AM »
How touching. Thanks SE.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 18, 2003, 12:17:27 PM »
I decided to revolt yesterday and read a book with my husband instead. It is a very good book, but this morning I feel kind of guilty, so back to work. Thanks to EUOL's laptop, I have been able to get some done during lunch, which helps, but not nearly enough. I am very behind, and I don't see a whole lot of time to catch up.

Like Kije, I too am not giving up!!
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #347 on: November 18, 2003, 01:21:11 PM »
skip work. heh, wish I could seriously tell you how to find time, but other than giving up work, I don't know. Surrendering sociality, esp on weekends, might help though.

My final word count last night was actually 29171 once I re-inserted what I wrote at work. Yeah, I'm breakin 30k today. yeeeeee!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #348 on: November 18, 2003, 02:36:24 PM »
skip work. heh, wish I could seriously tell you how to find time, but other than giving up work, I don't know.

You know, it does kind of help when writing IS work....

Seriously, though, I think you're doing fine, MoD.  You may want to schedule a day during thanksgiving as a 'writing day.'  I'll bet that if you really tried, you could do 5-10k in an all-day stint.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #349 on: November 18, 2003, 02:50:42 PM »
Just watch out.

For me, at least, ANY interruption ruins the all-day stint, as evidence by my complete failure to write anything last saturday night despite feeling good about what I was doing and where I was going. I went and got my mind off it. I can't wait till I'm doing this full time and I can dedicate 8 hours a day (or more!) to uninterruptable writing.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #350 on: November 18, 2003, 10:38:02 PM »
Well, I too missed yesterday, but I got 3316 today.  Grand total: 24441.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #351 on: November 19, 2003, 12:26:16 AM »
I did all of 42 words today. so uh... it pretty much sucked. I'll try to get a strong start in the morning though. it's getting harder to maintain pace. And today was a downer. I didn't write so much, but at least I didn't AVOID writing. So I don't feel bad about it. I just need to make up the time.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #352 on: November 19, 2003, 01:41:17 PM »
I had slim chance to write yesterday, after losing monday altogether, and got up to 27,859. That's respectable for one day (about 2400 words) but it's not going to help me catch up.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #353 on: November 20, 2003, 12:29:39 AM »
2976 today.  27417 total.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #354 on: November 20, 2003, 02:07:40 AM »
That neck problem I mentioned has turned out to be viral, which is a bummer. I got about 2000 worsd today, no official total count.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 20, 2003, 04:01:45 PM »
I decided to take a break. Which is probably a good idea in that it will allow me to get ready for stairwell activity for this month, etc. I realize that taking a break would kill all my chances of finishing this month, which is sad.

On the upside this has turned me on to writing again!! It's exciting to have another purpose to life outside of work. So I'm really glad I decided to do this.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #356 on: November 20, 2003, 04:14:39 PM »
The thing is: don't let it stop you. I'm having a tough time getting back up. I need my second wind. Even if you don't hit 50k, which well, you still have a CHANCE for, keep working on writing!

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 20, 2003, 04:21:07 PM »
I will. I intend to start writing again next week, and maybe even spend all Friday (a day off!) writing.

I'm going to relook at this story though. It doesn't seem to be going anywhere, so I'd like to spend some more time on an outline. I didn't before because I was trying to stick to the crap for crap's sake motto, and I didn't really have any spare time. I have learned a very valuable lesson though: I have to write in long spurts of stupidness. If I try to write well, I never get past the first scene.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #358 on: November 20, 2003, 07:50:57 PM »
That's the mantra of many a professional writer, MoD: crappy first drafts. You have to allow them so that all your ideas are at least down, then you can step back, evaluate, plan a little more, fix things, etc.

I'm proud of all you guys. Good job! Way to go! And all those other encouraging things your teacher used to write on your paper, preferably with a Strawberry Shortcake scratch-n-sniff sticker. You're doing a lot, whether or not you make it to 50K.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 20, 2003, 08:15:09 PM »
That reminds me of the 94.9 ZHT commercials from my freshman year. "And now we take you to a 94.9 ZHT pep rally, 'We suck! We suck!'"

But you're right stacer. I just didn't really push myself to finish before. I'd get bored and do something else. Now, out of school with no papers to write or literature to read, I've got time.