Author Topic: Novel in a month  (Read 38258 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Novel in a month
« Reply #255 on: November 11, 2003, 01:39:02 AM »
I spent the day installing a floor in my Mom's house, and the evening writing. I think I got over 2500 today, but don't do any official calculations until I can get an official count off my computer at home (this one doesn't have a word count function).

And Gemm, don't give up! If you need help we'll be more than happy to do anything you need to help you break past the writing walls--we'll brainstorm, we'll give ideas, we'll give encouragement, and anything else. Trust me on this--if you get to the end of the month having written 50,000 words, no matter how incoherent or horrible, you'll have acheived something great, and you'll be a stronger man than most people you know. Don't give up!
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #256 on: November 11, 2003, 01:47:01 AM »
well, at only just over 1300 today, my pace is slackening. But Fell comes through and comes awfully darn close to getting ahead. Tomorrow shall be a good day then. I updated my info on the calendar, but obviously I'm gonna need to add Fell tomorrow, and probably moD tonight.

Gemm, really, do it! We all know behind that spatial anomaly you're still a freak, but one that can do some good work! Why do you think we tolerate you?

update: I added MoD to today's, having just received her work.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 01:53:48 AM by SaintEhlers »

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #257 on: November 11, 2003, 07:18:47 AM »
1,423 for me.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #258 on: November 11, 2003, 10:40:35 AM »
Fell, you a big kid in a candy store, I know. Its okay. Everyone needs a little time to feel pleasant with themselves, or someone else. But like the horse's mouth said, I'm not giving up, just going for something different.

I don't see how you(or anyone) could really help me with this though. It just seems silly and such. But far be it for me to tell you what to do. I'll give this "Help" stuff a try.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #259 on: November 11, 2003, 10:55:53 AM »
Aside from the obvious which none of us are medically qualified to handle, what is it that you need help with? Do you just not know what happens next? Is it sitting your butt down and getting to work?

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #260 on: November 11, 2003, 11:21:49 AM »
Probably that last part. And after a while my wrists and stuff start hurting after all that typing. I have most of how it goes down in my head already. Its just extending it to triple my arms' length to get there.
                William S. Burroughs

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #261 on: November 11, 2003, 11:28:47 AM »
sounds like you can use some of those exercises.

I'll start a thread just for that.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #262 on: November 11, 2003, 11:30:54 AM »
Your gonna make me read aren't you?
                William S. Burroughs

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #263 on: November 11, 2003, 01:49:04 PM »
I know that MoD was having some problems with her sword fights and such. This doesn't directly address that, but it gives a very brief history of the sword (enough to help you make some decisions) and where types of sword came from.

http://www.armadilloarmory.com/hxsword.htm

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 11, 2003, 02:33:18 PM »
Thanks Saint. It would seem that my max number of words in any one sitting is 2,500. I tried to write 1,200 words and take a break, but I was afraid that if I did anything truly relaxing that would be it for the night. So the break didn't last long.

Looks like Saturdays are going to have to be my catch up days. I hope my husband and GM doesn't kill me. . . . 'Course it would help if I would write instead of watching cartoons.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #265 on: November 11, 2003, 06:39:41 PM »
hrm... this is interesting
By the word count feature, I'm at 17.6k
If I do the 12pt Courier New Dbl Space, I have over 23k.
Oh well.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #266 on: November 11, 2003, 07:43:23 PM »
The courier spacing method is a typsetter's method of counting words.  If you think about it, a blank line is the same as a line full of words when you consider book length.  Therefore, 'Manuscript Format' makes any blank space worth one letter, and any blank line worth ten words.  If you return three times before getting to your chapter heading, that's thirty words (in the typsetter's eyes.)

However, for this, we're worried primarily about words written, not virtual words.  So, i'm using the word-count function.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #267 on: November 11, 2003, 08:08:01 PM »
Yeah, I'm sticking with word count. That gives me 1k so far today. If I can make up my mind over what I'm spending money on with my Amazon gift certificate (I think I have it, I'm gettin Eowyn and Aragorn 6" action figures, a CD, a book that Entropy found for me, and a movie for my dad), then I hope to have an other k done before I go home, at which point I was planning to go to bed, but I just may write some more.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #268 on: November 11, 2003, 09:34:43 PM »
The floor is done (and looking mighty fine), so it's time to write again. My total after yesterday, by the way, was a devilish 14,666, which is ironic considering that I'm writing about an Inquisitor.

And Gemm, again I urge you not to "change your goa," because in my experience that equates to the same thing as giving up. It starts small--you just move the finish line a bit, so you can get there easier--but then you're not as challenged or excited by your goal and you start to lose interest in it, and since you've already changed it once it becomes very easy to change it again, and again, until you just bag it all and play video games. Trust me, I've been there.

To everyone having doubts, I highly recommend this weeks NaNoWriMo newsletter. It's quite heartening.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #269 on: November 11, 2003, 10:53:35 PM »
ok, i've got Kije and Fell updated on the calendar as of yesterday now. I'm debating how much more Im going to write. I got 2.5k done at work, and that's consistent with skipping sundays and still finishing 50k before Thanksgiving.

And gemm, what fell said. seriously, commit full throttle. No, don't be disappointed if you don't get 50k, and yes 15k is a great goal. But why the heck would you SHOOT for the silver or bronze medal when the gold medal is hanging right there? You'll get more done, just bust your hump a little. Get out of the comfort zone, and you'll be surprised.

BTW, how'd that squib work out for you?